Why does Civ2 not work anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does Civ2 not work anymore?

When I try to play Civ2, it gives me a "Bg load error" or something similar to that. It is now impossible for me to play Civ2. I have tried re-installing, it doesn't work. Strangely, Civ2 used to work on this very same computer, with no problems. I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and knows how to help me? I am using Windows 98.
    World War 2 Worldwide
    Muddy Flood Plains
    World Map

What version of civ2 do you have ?
    What programs have you installed since ?
    Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

My 2.42 started giving me illegal operation errors last week. Tried copying dlls manually but Windows claimed it couldn't write to Tiles.dll because the file was "in use." Popped in the CD again, clicked on Reinstall, essential files only, unziipped the no-CD hack, problem disappeared.
      (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
      (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

maybe you did something to the rules.txt or some other file? if not my guess is some kind of virus or at least thats what I found out I had a few years ago after some of my games stoppped working for no reason..

Comment

I solved the problem. It seems I needed the program "WinG" which for some reason wasn't on my computer (I don't know how Civ2 ran without it before). Once that was installed, it worked perfefectly.

If you are having the same problem go here:
          I've seen several posts like this one.... http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3863&highlight=WinG+AND+load+AND+failure When I installed Cedric Greene's excellent patch (MGE to FW) today, I had the error message "WinG Load Failure" when I tried to start the civ2.exe...

Thanks to Smash for providing me with this link.
          World War 2 Worldwide
          Muddy Flood Plains
          World Map

Comment

Glad you got it sorted out.

You're not the first, unfortunately.Many people have gone back to Civ2 not having made any radical changes to their systems,only to find WING is no more.I wonder what happens to it?

The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I thought it might be Windows 2000.

glad you got it working.

Comment

WinG can be associated with alot of other programs, If you have uninstalled a program from your Win 98 it could have removed that file from windows. For some reason the civ2 files do nt register in windows like other programs and it will remove them even it Civ 2 requires it. also if you remove Civ2 it does not remove you "microprose software" folder or in some cases the kings and video folders. Just some food for thought
                Wizards sixth rule:
                "The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason."
                Can't keep me down, I will CIV on.

Comment

I haven't played CIV2 in ages but i recently got a second (old) PC and tried to install it : will it work on WIN2K ?
                  What?

Comment

I have win2K and have no problems at all. However not all PC's should be running win2K. If your system is really old (500MHZ or less processor, or less than 128 MB Ram) then Win2k MAy run very slow and thus couse big delays in ANYTHING you try to do.

Keep in mind that windows never really "upgrades" it just get bigger and eats up mor of your computers memory and processor. (try running WIN 98 on a P1 233 versus Wijn 95, you loose alot of performance just to get those neat wallpapers LOL
                    Wizards sixth rule:
                    "The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason."
                    Can't keep me down, I will CIV on.

Comment

"Upgrades" heh, heh. Yeah, I saw so many problems with Win98/ME on friends' computers that I'm still running Win95. On an older machine W2K may be more stable, but will not run games that well because of the enormous overhead.
                      (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                      (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Working...
                      X