Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone Please Help. FW Installation Troubles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone Please Help. FW Installation Troubles.

Greetings,

I am having great difficulty here, and I hope someone can help me. I've been trying to play Captain Nemo's Second Front properly in FW for a great while.

A long long tima ago I bought FW off eBay for $4 US.
    Little did I know, you need the original CivII to apply the FW to, as it is an add on rather than a stand alone type thing. So I put it away and didnt touch it.

Then I found CivII on sale for $10, so I immediatly bought it. I have installed that no problem, but when I try to install my FW, I get some strange error, and the installation aborts.

Perhaps I got sold a bunk copy of FW, but I don't know. It was shrink wrapped and looked good to me.

I cannot take a screenie of the error because the pc locks up untill you close the error window. It happens when I click ok when the game points to the default CivII installation directory. The error itself refers to 'Inist30' whatever that is.

Is their something I can do? Is their anything any of you can do?

I shall post this here to reveal that I actually have the cd...

If anyone can offer an idea, it would be much appriciated.
    Attached Files

I can't really offer much in the way of suggestions, except to try downloading the FW update from the web (from CivFanatics I think) and installing from that into the directory you installed Civ 2.42 in. That worked for me. Plus, I would say (though some might contradict me) that there's nothing unethical in downloading the update if you already paid for it.

Also, I am running in Win98 - what are you using?
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

okay, I'll try that. And report back.

I'm with 98SE.

-FMK.

Comment

Okay well there is no FW patch here at CivFanatics. I am going to DL the Classic CivII 2.42 patch though right?

Or does that turn my Classic CivII into MGE?
        *Edit: just noticed they also have a civII--> gold patch.

-FMK.

Comment

Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh
          Okay well there is no FW patch here at CivFanatics. I am going to DL the Classic CivII 2.42 patch though right?

Or does that turn my Classic CivII into MGE?
          *Edit: just noticed they also have a civII--> gold patch.

-FMK.
          Damn. I know there's a patch somewhere. The 2.42 patch is a good thing to have, but all it does is update to 2.42. You won't be in FW or MGE after that.

The Gold patch should put you in MGE. Someone with a better memory than me will hopefully post on where to find FW patch.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
          "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

OK. Look for Cedrics patches. That will take you to both a FW and MGE patch.

Apologies to Apolyton gods for the breaches of etiquette I'm committing

edit: look on CivFanatics
            Last edited by Six Thousand Year Old Man; August 20, 2002, 10:05.

Comment

I can't seem to find the patch for FW at Apolyton either.
              I assume installing FW is going to create extra directories and such, so I wouldn't even have those to extract the FW Update zip into.

-FMK.

Comment

What I did was install 2.42 (Civ2 basic off the CD) 3 times, and then installed MGE into one of those installs and FW into the another. Voila, 3 versions, to go with my ToT and the scenarios...

Comment

wow, so then there must be a CivII-->FW patch somewhere?

-FMK.

Comment

Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh
                    wow, so then there must be a CivII-->FW patch somewhere?

-FMK.
                    Scroll up to my previous message. Look on CivFan>Downloads. At the top of the page is a link to 'Cedrics patches'. Look on that page.

Comment

Ahhh, downloading the bugger now. Hopefully this does it.

-FMK.

Comment

From what I've heard the installer in FW can cause problems with other programs in Windows causing the error you are describing. A fix is to Ctrl+Alt+Del and close all programs except explorer and systray and then install. Usually this is enough to get it to install or like the others said you can use my patch but that won't install any of the scenarios.
                        Cedric's Civilization 2 Page, Home of the FW, MGE, and ToT Patches

Comment

Bah, I got all the scenarios I need in other places.

I did end up going with the patch, and yup, worked like a charm! Thanks to the both of you.

You see, the MGE version of this scenario (in which you play as 2 civs) can only be played as a hotseat game. This means you aren't seeing enemy moves, which makes the German armoured counterattacks upon the beachheads awefully lethal. With the FW version, it plas as any other game would, with a full view of my boys getting slaughtered.

Thanks again.

-FMK.

Comment

I've tried a couple of times to download the MGE update thingy from CFC, but it never works... I download it into the same directory as Civ2, and then open Civ2, and it says "Civ 2 Multiplayer Gold" along the top and on the menus, but when I click on any of the new options (like "multiplayer"), it just takes me to something old like the Hall Of Fame...

What's up with that?

Am I downloading the wrong file? Am I doing it wrong? Anything?
                            "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                            "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
                            "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

cinch, I think it's most likely a problem with either the labels.txt or the menu.txt . Also could be from using the older version of the patch from CFC instead of the newer version from my homepage, http://hometown.aol.com/cedricgreene/
                              Cedric's Civilization 2 Page, Home of the FW, MGE, and ToT Patches

Comment

Working...
                              X