Brother, can you spare an opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brother, can you spare an opinion?

I am requesting the input of those here as to whether or not there is interest in my idea. I am working on what would be a new succession game (in MGE). Everyone here has been very helpful to me and the game would be played as the Apolyton tribe. I am altering the names (only) of many of the game aspects after people who frequent the Civ II forums (and other Poly gadabouts) but I am not changing the game aspects otherwise. Perhaps this has been done before but I thought it would be fun.

Of course, merely changing names does not a good game make, so what parameters could be used to make the game a challenge for you all? I assume that deity and raging hoardes are a given.
    Hello, my name is Shawn and I am Civ impaired.

As long as the Sodaq are not an AI tribe, I will be content.

If the point is a new challenge, how about starting a map and giving Apolyton a truly horrible starting location? Say desert, no rivers, few specials, or some such...
    The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
    intelligence to few.

Comment

Let's see, we're already doing one under Fundy.

How about global conquest under Democracy? OTOH, it's probably been done.

Perhaps... no offensive units (or no war!)?
      oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

Marquis, you are already in the game (a wonder has been renamed in your honor). Also, I played several turns of the game to see if it was working as I planned and found that the starting location isn't very good. As you've no doubt figured out, I did not make the map, though the thought of doing so did cross my mind (putting us on an island with enough distance to the nearest land mass so as to not allow outside trading until caravelles come about).

I'm new to these succession games so I've no idea what has been done, what most folks prefer, etc. I did incorporate a special surprise in the game once computers are researched, so perhaps it should be a space game, since I suspect most players here could win by domination prior to computers coming along.

Comment

Here's an idea that was kicked around for a while: one city conquest. You have to wipe out all the AIs while never actually occupying one of their cities. Spies/diplos would obviously be key units for this one...

Comment

That's a rather interesting idea, DaveV. Even though I've never before been part in succession games, but I could have a go on it. So El Civ, I'm in, if that's alright.

Hint: make Rasbey happy and rename Communism to Trotskijsm.
            "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Oh, forgot to mention that my personal suggestion would something based on messing around with communism, like conquest of the world or ruling through peace and trade. Haven't thought in depth that, as the idea more suddenly struck me, but that could be something worth working out. Or maybe that's something already tried, but as I'm not a veteran in succession games, I'm not sure about that.

P.S. Is there any older threads on succession games that could be worth reading?
              "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

One-city conquest? Interesting. I can remember it being talked about in the Civ2-Strat forum, but I don't remember anyone actually pulling it off.

El Civ, can you name a wonder after me? Pleeeease?
                oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

What about this, in addition to my humorous Apolyton influences woven into the game:
                  1. No city bribing, all other nefarious acts by dips and spies are allowed
                  2. Stopping at Communism is fine with me if it garners enough interest
                  3. Limit of 50 cities
                  4. Limit of 1 science wonder in any single city (i.e. no SSC)

Do these sound okay, or ridiculous? I'm not married to them. Dave, I'd gladly go along with the OCS (One City Succession) but I'm still playing at king level and have never tried an OCC game. I don't know the ins and outs or micromanaging well enough for such a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Antlerkov
                    One-city conquest? Interesting. I can remember it being talked about in the Civ2-Strat forum, but I don't remember anyone actually pulling it off.

El Civ, can you name a wonder after me? Pleeeease?
                    Already done Vlad. I have also included one unexpected surprise that comes later in the game.

Look, if enough people want to play a one city succession game then I'll suck it up and give it a go, but I can't promise you anything. If you want my Apolyton themed game then it will have to be in MGE, since I'm using the built-in editors to accomplish it. Hmm, Dave V is well known here--have to name something after him too.

Comment

Originally posted by El Civ
                      What about this, in addition to my humorous Apolyton influences woven into the game:
                      1. No city bribing, all other nefarious acts by dips and spies are allowed
                      2. Stopping at Communism is fine with me if it garners enough interest
                      3. Limit of 50 cities
                      4. Limit of 1 science wonder in any single city (i.e. no SSC)

Do these sound okay, or ridiculous? I'm not married to them. Dave, I'd gladly go along with the OCS (One City Succession) but I'm still playing at king level and have never tried an OCC game. I don't know the ins and outs or micromanaging well enough for such a game.
                      I'd play with those rules. I will attempt to play by ANY rules, no matter how outlandish, ridiculous or impossible they may be, but I make no promises as to how well I will do.

It is interesting that nobody has suggested a no-caravan AC succession game... but then everyone here loves to trade more than I do Perhaps it would be too challenging?

BTW, Is that a limit of 50 cities founded, or does that include captured ones?
                      "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                      "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

El Civ,

this far alright for me, but what about the renaming of Communism?

Comment

El Civ SG[1] created a comparison game about 2+ years ago with the AI civs named after Apolyton posters. IIRC it was a giga map called Spindle World.

In view of the arguments we enjoyed in the Sticky Mouse game about the optimum number of cities, I was thinking along the lines of a one wonder game... Apollo only. Life gets interesting for sleazers like me with no Gardens

--------------------

SG(2)
                          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Apollo only? Good grief! Also, I bounced around the idea of no trading as a game rule, but not no caravans at all.

Who would be interested in a game with the following rules:
                            1. One science wonder per city maximum
                            2. No city bribing
                            3. Limit of 10 cities (total, built and seized)
                            4. We stop when we arrive at Communism (which I can rename to "Trotskijsm"
                            5. Win by spaceship

I changed the cities from 50 to 10 in light of the debate in the Sticky Mouse game over number of cities and also as something approaching (at least somewhat) a one city game. Perhaps the city limit rule could include a caveat in which we could take AI cities but would have to leave them undefended and could only build non-combat units/improvements within them.
                            If there are enough agreeable to those rules then I've got the game already ready, complete with my first 15 moves played. I need only post it. Oh, it is MGE, deity, raging, large map, large mass and archipelago.

And SG(2), I did edit the AI civ leader names but not their tribe names. One of the AI civs is led by someone known to Apolytoners.

Comment

Hey Vlad...

Mercy! After seeing your picture in another forum I'd be afraid to not name something after you. I like the haircut (mine is very close to yours).

BTW, everyone, I'm open as to the number of cities. I threw out 10 because it seemed like more of a challenge than 20 or more.

Comment

Working...
                              X