Paradise City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paradise City

Do you have a city that stands out in your memory as, well, your most outstanding city? I'm not talking about something made by the hand of man, I'm talking about that perfect spot, generated by the random map generator, occupied by some o your boys, and turned into a true Rome. That's what I'm talking about...a most memorable city. Mine had gold, two rivers loaded with shields, coal and other hills, abundant shields and trade. It generated enough of both to be the ultimate science city. The shields built the sci improvements, caravans, the trade made them super powerful. This one city thrust me into the fore among civilizations, I never had to worry about meeting a superior technology it generated sci so fast...

Well enough about my perfect city, what was yours?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Hmmm...London on the Europe map. In bombing range of Stlh. Bombers, nukes and coastal bombardments. Little resources, little trade, not much food...a real El Dorado...

------------------
    Comrade Dan.
    Director of the Pokehate Corporation and founding member of Soviet Industries.
    Reichgeneral of the Anti-Demesos League.
    Leader of the victorious Comrade Dan clones in the First Coffeeshop War under the name 'Kaiser Dan'.
    (insert honorary title here).
    Inventor of the spamachine gun.
    Eternal tormentor of Geography Dan.

Remember Black Saturday.
    Das Wasser soll dein Spiegel sein
    Erst wenn es glatt ist, wirst du sehen
    Wieviel Märchen dir noch bleibt
    und um Erlösung wirst du flehen.

The water shall be your mirror
    Only when it's smooth you will see
    How much fairy-tale is left for you
    And you will beg for deliverance.

'Alter Mann', RAMMSTEIN.

Comment

My current capital in ToT is maybe my best ever:

Avernath
      Size = 32
      Pyramids
      Mike's
      Magellan's
      Shakespeare's
      Leonardo
      Bach
      Isaac Newton
      Darwin's
      Women's
      Hoover
      UN
      Apollo
      SETI
      Cure for Cancer

Note that all of my wonders are in one city, I tend to not farm them out.

Venger

Comment

Hmm.... Sounds like a good nuke target to me.........

Comment

My best science city... 590 beakers. Of course this depends on trade routes, government type, science setting, improvements, wonders... but it was the best I've ever had.

Comment

I remember when I was playing civ2 on my old macintosh, this must have been over a year ago. I had a huge city, Kansas City, that was size 30, had about 10 wonders, and was producing insanely high amounts of science and money.

------------------
            -GeoDan, Apolyton Geography Expert
            AKA GeoDude

Eternal tormentor and superior of Comrade Dan.
            -GeoDan

Comment

I just had an OCC city producing 1632 beakers per turn and 87 sheilds.Sheild count is normal but thats the highest beaker count I have ever had in 1 city.
              The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Lancer on 05-20-2000 12:11 PM
                SilverDragon, still, Venger's got himslelf one heck of a city there. Venger, lose that city and what do you have left to fight back?

Awful hard to take. Against the AI, there's ZERO chance of losing it...against another human, that's another story. But I have an enormous lead in technology etc. from that city, so...

Venger

Comment

CD, that sounds like a real drag...

MWHC, I'll have to make a note of my beaker totals from here on out. Thanks for the target...590

SilverDragon, still, Venger's got himslelf one heck of a city there. Venger, lose that city and what do you have left to fight back?
                  Long time member @ Apolyton
                  Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I had an OCC city, and In 1800 or so it was size 28, with all the extra citizens turned to einsteins. 80% science along with the collossus (I discovered flight soon after), newtons and copernicus', I had 834 beakers per turn. I'm thinking of using the map editor and setting myself an ideal situation and turning it as high as I can
                    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

1632 beakers?! really???? I'd like to see that. Those must have been some GREAT trade routes. Even with science maxed at %100 in democracy thats still sounds higher than possible.

Comment

it was OCC fortnight#9 available for download in the OCC9 discussion thread over in strategy forum.

It had 2 wheat(which became silk) whale,wine on a nice river.Collosus.Cope's,Sir Ike's and Shake's gets the high numbers.

after superhighway and before Flight trade routes were +28

size 26 with 100% science and 5 scientists.Coulda been higher as there was food for a few more citizens.
                        The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I usually have all the wonders crammed in one city...

But then, thats on Chieftain, so...
                          The breakfast of champions is the opposition.

"A japaneze warrior once destroyed one of my modern armours.i nuked the warrior" -- philippe666

Comment

My larges city so far is 41 (8,700,000 inhabitants or something like that), the largest production rate I reached was 101.
                            The science rate of into 1600 beakers sounds unbelievable! Can't imagine how to reach that.

Comment

Not that Smash needs the support, but he is a lonesome voice here - Yes 1600 beakers is very good, but not truly exceptional in OCC terms. Don't forget that when playing OCC science is EVERYTHING and every possible nuance of the game that leads to more beakers is exploited. Several of us have now enjoyed a tech advance a turn from our single city without the support of new trade routes to boost the earnings (of course we have all three trade routes in place as early as possible - in a recent game I was raking in 80 arrows/turn from each of my three trade routes - now that was awesome)
                              Good civin'

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
                              "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                              "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Working...
                              X