Mass Global Warming: Feature or Bug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass Global Warming: Feature or Bug?

I don't know if anyone has had this happen to them before but in a recent game of Civ 2 this is what happened.

All civs in the game were rampant pollutors, and several nuclear wars I had with the Japanese (I was the English) added to the global warming threat. There must have been about 10 situations of global warming where the coastal tiles turned to swamp and had been terraformed back again as much as possible before the next global warming occured. Then, on the next one, something I had never seen happened (nor has anyone I know with Civ 2, which is why I mention it). Global warming happened, and the entire world turned to swamp! This was with the exception of the poles and one or two jungle tiles. Shortly afterwards, cities of size 30 starved to size 5-10, and as I desperately sent out engineers to terraform at least some of the swamp so I can irrigate, the lack of support from my cities caused him to be disbanded in mid-terraform!

This might be a well known feature of Civ 2, or maybe it is a weird one off bug that I got, but I would like to know if anyone else has had this happen. I apologize if it is well known already.

What happens with each round of global warming is that one in every four tiles along a diagonal line gets downgraded to the next worst terrain. For example, grassland becomes plains. Also, along coastlines, terrain turns to swamp.

I tried a test game. After several rounds of warming, the entire world became swamp. (Nine, to be exact.)
    oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

I'm shuddering, thinking how close we came to that eventuality in the Invasion Earth game.

I suppose the only solution would be food caravans, and engineers built in cities with access to fish or whales...

STYOM
      "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
      "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Fascinating. Of course, I think an even worse terrain for the planet to have on all non-ocean squares would be desert. You'd be screwed, literally, unless a few oasises were around.

Gatekeeper
        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

It has happened to me sometimes, long ago, after nuclearwars.

All civs in the game were rampant pollutors
          If I'm not mistaken, I don't think the AI pollutes. They have pollutiontriangles in the city, but never pollutes with skulls.
          I think there is an amount of skulls te world can take, I think 10 but increases with solarplants, before global warming.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Antlerkov After several rounds of warming, the entire world became swamp. (Nine, to be exact.)
            Woo hoo! Spice! Spice is a good special terrain...
            The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
            intelligence to few.

Comment

What happens with each round of global warming is that one in every four tiles along a diagonal line gets downgraded to the next worst terrain. For example, grassland becomes plains. Also, along coastlines, terrain turns to swamp.

I tried a test game. After several rounds of warming, the entire world became swamp. (Nine, to be exact.)
              When you tested it, did it seem to happen very suddenly? As in, one turn there are just a few coastal swamps, next turn there is nothing but them. This might have been because in my game I attempted to terraform swamp and jungle back to grassland while the situation wasn't too bad.

If I'm not mistaken, I don't think the AI pollutes. They have pollutiontriangles in the city, but never pollutes with skulls.
              I did wonder about this, since I'm not sure how the global warming gets so bad if I'm the only pollutor. If the Japanese nuke me, my cities get skulls, but is this the case when I nuke the Japanese (or any AI civ), or do they just loose units, tile improvements etc. and get no skulls?

Comment

I suppose the only solution would be food caravans, and engineers built in cities with access to fish or whales...
                I did try transferring food from cities with some food in the storage box to starving cites with none, but it didn't seem to work that well. Still, I carried on playing to see how well I could do, I don't give up with a mere armageddon of the entire planet

Comment

the ai ingnores pollution IIRC....though i am not sure about when they use nukes on you..it could be a case of the pollution is closer to yourcity, there fore, your problem , thus affecting global warming...

i remember the old days of nukes....as long as you have a ton of engineers , you should never have a problem
                  Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

IIRC - all and any nukes give skulls, but only your cities give skulls caused by size or shield pollution.

On topic - my vote is intended feature - to try and help educate a generation into the firm belief that nukes are a Bad Thing - remember Civ came out pretty much at the peak of the Cold War - there were days when It seemed So Close.

SG[1]
                    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

The best (and most challenging) game of civ2 i ever played involved major global warming, without using nukes. I was locked in a massive late war with the Germans who had a small but highly developed empire while i had a badly developed sprawling continent. I lost most of my engineers to bombers and fighters. I couldn't spare the shields to build more (i needed armor) so the whole planet went to sh*t - it was great fun. Cities starving, the war raging and barbs swarming all over.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil_de_geezer
                        The best (and most challenging) game of civ2 i ever played involved major global warming, without using nukes. I was locked in a massive late war with the Germans who had a small but highly developed empire while i had a badly developed sprawling continent. I lost most of my engineers to bombers and fighters. I couldn't spare the shields to build more (i needed armor) so the whole planet went to sh*t - it was great fun. Cities starving, the war raging and barbs swarming all over.
                        I like destroying the world in Civ cause it isn't real life so you can do what you want to it I did it all the time in CtP 1 with space launches and nukes cause you got the message "Nuclear fallout/Space launches are reaping havoc on the earths atmosphere" and you just had to laugh at the poor old cities on earth instead of underwater or in space

Comment

If you wish to see skulls, open the ww79 scenario. All AI civs nuke one another like hell and, believe me, there are skulls anywhere.
                          There is also GW, but not to the level you mention (at least in my game).
                          Where is 'smokey da nuke'? I guess he should be able to give you some more details

(BTW opaque, did you build any solar plant? they are quite powerful against GW)
                          Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Allard Höfelt
                            all about hexediting

(
                            (byte #51):amount of times that a global temperature rising has been happening this far in the game. 7F is maximum and will make the whole world a big swamp when the next global temperature rising occurs. 80 or higher will prevent any global rising from happening at all. At the moment when terrain should be changed, nothing happens, and byte 32 is restored to 00, though a message still pops up. Byte 33 will remain at what it was, so it is not reset. This is a fool-proof way to switch off pollution without the restrictions of the normal cheat-menu switching off of pollution. The message “global warming occurs/will occur soon” of course will need to be changed.

Comment

(BTW opaque, did you build any solar plant? they are quite powerful against GW)
                              It was a long time ago since I played that game of Civ 2, but it is likely I didn't bother, since I was seeing what would happen if I didn't really attempt to clean up pollution. I would post a sav but I no longer have the computer I had that game saved on.

Comment

Working...
                              X