Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Abilities Does the AI Have in Civ II?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Abilities Does the AI Have in Civ II?

Everyone:

I've always been curious as to what the AI can do at differing difficulty levels in Civ II. For example, I know the AI will bribe cities at the Emperor level, but not below that. What else can the AI do on the Emperor and, especially, the Deity levels that it isn't allowed to do below those levels?

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Lord knows - we can give you a fair list of what the Artificial Stupidity can do at Deity, but what it can do below that is anyone's guess

The SGs in their third bottle
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Combat is affected (in favor of the player) at Chieftan.

Comment

SG[x]:

Any of you guys up for a cold shower so you can relate to me what the AI can do on Deity?

GP:

Huh. One more reason to never play Chieftain level again.

Gatekeeper
        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

Good Morning

I do remember the following:

At Chieftain more information about AI civs is available. Automatic embassies on meeting another civ and the Foreign Advisor displayed the number of units they had. Playing the lower levels Alliances are offered more readily by the AI. There are no research penalties at Chieftain and there is always an open tech tree.

Combat becomes harder with each level but is still in favour of the human up to Prince. At King it's even. Playing Emperor/Deity progressively in favour of the AI. At the higher levels the AI food/shield boxes are smaller for their cities.

-----------

SG(2)

Comment

also something I just noticed(on Deity) is the fact that the AI can use his gold/shields however it wants:
            eg: it has 10 shields and 80G = 90somethings
            --> it can then use for example 30 of those somethings as shields an the rest as gold .

Shade
            ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
            "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
            shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

SG, I had the impression that the actual compbat was the same at all levels other than Cheiftan.

One other thing I've noticed about the AI. I thinik it doesn't really lose shields towards a wonder in the way that you would do so. (when you build before them.)

Comment

--Collective building of wonders.

If you've played the World War 1979 scenario that came with Conflicts, then you'll have noticed that the AI builds wonders in several cities simultaneously. It was noticed by someone (I think it was SG) that only one city is actually building it; the other cities working on it are sending their shields over to that city. So if the AI has Cities A, B, and C, each producing 15 shields/turn, building Wonder W, City A would be producing W at 45 shields/turn.

--Being able to irrigate without a source of water nearby. (If you let the AI control your settlers, they do the same thing )
                oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

At Deity all AI units can 'at times' act as Dips in as much as they can ignore ZoC and bribe Units - I have never seen a non-dip bribe a city.
                  The AI does not use Wonder caravans, but does seem to have the ability to transport fractional Wonders from all over their empire so as to produce the WoW on demand -- this leads to the point remarked upon above - as they only have a number of fractional WoWs forcing them to abandon one does not hurt them as much as us - who hasn't had a 298 shield settler ;(

SG[1]

Comment

They also get to see the whole map. They also never have triremes sink. Also, magic cruise missiles.

Comment

also for the human player, you can shift production from wonder/unit/building with impunity.....

was this on topic enough for you Scouse

War4ever, tired and cranky~
                      Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

GP, et al.:

That "seeing the whole map" thing is slightly aggravating, especially when you establish a new city and, voila!, enemy units make a beeline for said city (w/o you "knowing" about it) in an attempt to take it before the city grows strong.

I've had that happen more than once. Afterwards, I sometimes change the view to that of the civilization that attacked. Invariably (especially on oceans), you will see a "beeline" across tiles that are completely unexplored by the AI otherwise.

As for cruise missiles, they may have fixed that in the Macintosh edition, which is what I use. Every time I think there was a "magic" missile attack, I can trace it back to an AI city that's near enough to my convoys to launch missile strikes. But I still think the AI gets an advantage in this regard that human players do not: namely, the AI only needs to have a city within firing range of your convoy(s) in order to use its cruise missiles against you, no matter where they're located in the AI's empire. IOW, if City B is close enough to your assets, it can launch cruise missiles that might be in City D and City E elsewhere in the AI empire.

Anyway, I altered the cruise missile to make it a bit cheaper. So now the AI uses them against my spies, armored divisions and my shock troops in addition to convoys. It also attacks cities with cruise missiles now, particularly if you have a ship being repaired there or something. It makes my life a bit more miserable, but it's among the best dang improvements I've made to the AI's playing style.

Gatekeeper

Comment

Gatekeeper, what did you do in the rules .txt for this to happen....an aggressive ai impresses me and one that will actually use units of this nature the way they were supposed to be used sounds great to me
                          Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

War4ever:

I believe that all I did was cut the cost of the cruise missiles by 10 shields or so from 50 to 40. Instead of storing the missiles then, the AI seems to actually use them on a range of targets that I mentioned above. The shock troops are a custom unit I made from the "extras" available in Civ.

Insofar as I can tell, howitzers still are not targeted by AI missiles, unless they're in a stack containing armor or spies (or are aboard a transport). I don't know why, but I suspect it might be because of their low defense (but then that doesn't explain why spies are targeted).

Gatekeeper

Comment

I only notice magic cruise missiles at sea.

Comment

Working...
                              X