The Mad 2.42 Succession Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
    The mysteries of Sucession Games - particularly Mad Succession Games -- there were 5 caravans in SH at 200BC with 8 more building. How come you completed neither Cope's nor (my preference) Mike's? SG[1]
    Well hmmm first of all I didn't even discover Astronomy until my last turn our science is slow. Second I had to change a couple of the building caravans to crusaders in order to fend off barbarian activity near Suez Sur Scouse. Lastly I have no idea really what Im doing! But Im Learning. hehehehe

And why do you prefer Mikes? Copes isn't done so if my successor wants to change it he can feel free!
    Last edited by Mercatia; May 29, 2002, 05:29.

Comment

Well - the only real tricky part of playing at Deity is to keep a handle on unhappiness - this puts a great bonus on the Happy Wonders - you are building ?3? Temples - had you built Mike's (the trireme on the inland sea was intended to ferry carries from the northern cities to SH) you would not have needed any Temples - the Gardens and Mike's would have allowed any city to grow to 5 (IIRC) without invoking marshal law - that would have permitted more resources to be directed towards other matters - which might well involve Cope's.
      I assume you chose University for the Chemistry - Gunpowder - Explosives path - fair enough, but my choice would have been Physics - Invention - Steam Engine - i'm an unashamed warmonger

Keep on civin - you're doing fine

SG[1]
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Originally posted by Mercatia
        Lastly I have no idea really what Im doing! But Im Learning. hehehehe
        That doesn't matter as long as you are enjoying the game and learning it at the same time!

Just a nag to those about to play

Our capital needs expanding to size 12! We have the Colossus here and we are celebrating. To enjoy maximum benefit from these trade multipliers it must grow quickly…otherwise we are playing like the AI…sorry forgot…this is the Mad Game. Straybow will fix it

-----------------------

SG(2)

Comment

Mercatia - I have had another quick look at your game - so I can offer another comment or two.
          The science rate was lower than it might be under my rule to keep the income for 'tickling' - when building units with cities with about 5 shields productivity - get first set of shields - rush to Warrior (~11g) get next set of shields - rush to Phalanx (~11g) - repeat to Archer, Legion and then two turns to Caravan - 6 turns and ~ 40g VERY cost effective. IMHO all turns spent building improvements are wasted, so don't start a Temple/Library/Laundrette or whatever until you can afford it - then again one set of shields and buy it - this philosophy obviates having to look ahead and try and guess such questions as will I need a Marketplace in 23 turns time? When it is needed it is purchased. You finished up with over 800g at this stage of the game a fortune to rival Bill Gates' - we don't get any interest in Civ - it should (again IMHO) have been spent on tickling and any required improvements.
          Why is the vet Phallanx in UpBabsNose asleep not fortified? That puts you one turn behind if the Babs set up for a sneak - not likely, but always possible.

And, Mercatia, the most important advice of all - feel free to tell this or any other old fart of whatever age to shut up if you think we are getting at you

SG[1]

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits (2)
            ... Straybow will fix it

You did notice that on the 'Nicks' thread he characterised StrayBow (Strabo) as a mild form of Loose Cannon

SG[1]

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
              ... but my choice would have been Physics - Invention - Steam Engine - i'm an unashamed warmonger

Keep on civin - you're doing fine

SG[1]
              mmmh... white uniforms on the upper deck, black crew in the steam engine room...
              This can't be SG(2)... this is the Admiral!

Now back to serious questions.
              We have all learnt (or learned, it depends under which sea you are sailing ) how to rushbuild without payng a lot of money:
              Turn 0 set caravan production
              Turn 1shields+ change to warrior and buy, change to phalanx;
              Turn 2 shields + change phalanx to diplo/legion/whatever buy the next row of shields ...
              and you go on 'till your camel exits from the factory!
              Thanks for sharing!

Now, about growing or capital to a Fat Capital (or SSC or whatever), can one of the Gits, LaFayette or any other old farts explain roughly how does it work?
              googol... this is a number!
              "Silence Ming. I will let you know when I feel you are needed." - HappySunShine
              "Classic Eyes...But in reality, it works the other way around." - Ming

Comment

I'm quite tired. I forgot THE question...
                I meant it's ok the normal "celebrating" growth under demo or republic...but I was referring to the Food Caravan 'trick'... (which should apply under Monarchy and the SG(2) Gov't... )

Comment

City Growth 101

Rule 1 - put the required infrastructure in place before growth - you can see what is likely to happen by hitting the 'happy' button in the city screen - if your marshal law is all used up and you have no spare light blues delay growth until you can support it. (Corrolary to Rule 1 - you may wish to delay growth if it will cause a critical city - capital, SSC, STC to drop out of celebration)

Growing upto size 8: Move Settler into city and press 'b'. This is the technique SG(2) used to get SH to 7 ...

Beyond 8 - Must have Aqueduct and Granary or equivalent Pyramid - send in Food Caravan from food rich smallish city - remember that this will take a trade route from the source city - which is why you never send food caravans from critical cities - Capital, SSC, STC. Once the food trade route has been established more food caravans can be sent between the same city pair without further loss

Beyond 12 - Must have Sewer System, Aqueduct and Granary as above, but it is considerably harder to maintain celebration beyond this size particularly when the city size is odd - it is often worthwhile to arrange the caravan flow so that your city grows from say 14 to 15 to 16 in consecutive turns and then juggle luxuries to reassert celebration.

Unless you are doing something insane such as seeking a record game these heroic efforts will be reserved for just the one or exceptionally two chosen cities which become the focus of your empire.

Does this help?

SG[1]

Comment

Of course yes!

Comment

• 20 ad. King Julius the Mad steps into the throne. Just to fit his not so enlightening vision of war, he switches production of library and temple to barracks. And he dreams of being an angel, not to watch the sky at night (building mike and not cop).
                      40-60 ad. Nothing happens. 2 triremes set to explore the eastern seas.
                      80 ad. We build Michelangelo’s chapel. The city of Sad King Julius is founded, south of Persepolis.
                      100-120-140 ad. We refuse the offer of the Vikings to betray the celts for 50 gold.
                      160 ad. 100 gold in a hut in a northern continent.
                      180-200 ad. Barbarians near Persepolis. We build Copernic. Time to retire and hand the power to a less unsane man or woman.
                      Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

• My 10 turns of “madness” are gone. I couldn’t tell if we were playing ICS, perfectionnist, or something else. But at least I got the SSC project clear. Many cities are building settlers, either to build more cities or improve the land. With HG and Mike we could have some growth soon, if we want to. The settlers production might be changed to caravan or war units. I have no idea of the right strategy so far. The AI don’t seem a threat so far. Would anyone like to see Alpha C. ?
                        Here's the saved game
                        Attached Files
                        Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

• My log is one page 4

Comment

• Thanks Julius ...

Play order:

on first and last page ...

SG[1]
                            Last edited by Scouse Gits; May 31, 2002, 06:15.

Comment

• I'll try to play tonite!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scouse Gits

IMHO all turns spent building improvements are wasted, so don't start a Temple/Library/Laundrette or whatever until you can afford it - then again one set of shields and buy it

And, Mercatia, the most important advice of all - feel free to tell this or any other old fart of whatever age to shut up if you think we are getting at you

SG[1]
                                Ok no temples, libraries, or Laundrettes...but can we build day spas? I really need a massage!!

Finally don't ever shut up I can't learn without help this is a complicated game.

Ooops the other question why was the Vet Phalanx Sleeping... I read in another thread recently that if you sleep one unit per city if an enemy strollls up to the city that will alert you and beings that Upbabsnose is well UP BABS NOSE. I wanted to be alerted when his slimy green men wandered into our city. Was that a bad thing?

Comment

Working...
                                X