Knights or Chivalry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knights or Chivalry?

first,are Knights better than Crusaders?im playing on a europe map as french,and wondering if i make crusaders or knights.

knights have 4 attack 2 defence,vs 5 attack and 1 defence.i prefer knights,when veteren they have a chance of surviving a counter attack.

a big stack of crusaders,on the other hand,will die to any counter attack if they fail to take the city...

second,would this be better in the strategy forum?

thank god you can edit your subject here

i fixed the subject,but when i go back to the forum it shows knights or chivalry not knights are crusaders whats up with that?
    Last edited by Kataphraktoi; May 24, 2002, 08:25.
    if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Its a good question.Especially for multiplay.
    Tough call.Crusaders extra attacks numbers can make a big difference.True enough though,you better make the attack work as they are quite vulnerable to counter attack.Knight's window seems to be abit smaller.They don't fare well against pikes or even vet phalanx.Throw in walls and knights are 40 sheild garrison units all of a sudden.But if you can get them early enough...

btw-chivalry gives you knights.Monotheism is for crusaders
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Crusaders definitely.
      Knights don't survive much more anyway, so let's inflict as much damage as possible. The only use for knights in my opinion are reckon and pillage missions. But 2 of defense is just not enough.

And yes, it would be better situated in the strategy forum
      But a very good question
      Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Yes - my money too is on the vet Crook - sorry no Knights for me

SG[1]
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I agree that Knights are an inferior unit to Crusaders, but they are on a much more useful research path. It takes four (!) "wasted" techs for me to get Monotheism; I'd rather concentrate on the fast path to gunpowder. Then the next step from the knight is the dragoon, a two-hitpoint crusader !

Comment

Originally posted by DaveV
            I agree that Knights are an inferior unit to Crusaders, but they are on a much more useful research path. It takes four (!) "wasted" techs for me to get Monotheism; I'd rather concentrate on the fast path to gunpowder. Then the next step from the knight is the dragoon, a two-hitpoint crusader !
            As usual, Dave, you are right on the money - the actual answer depends fundamentally upon your preferred tech path - I don't plan on anyone getting dragoons

SG[1]

Comment

gah!acccidentally put chivalry not crusaders :/

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

I agree that Knights are an inferior unit to Crusaders, but they are on a much more useful research path. It takes four (!) "wasted" techs for me to get Monotheism; I'd rather concentrate on the fast path to gunpowder. Then the next step from the knight is the dragoon, a two-hitpoint crusader
                exactly what i was thinking

Knights don't survive much more anyway, so let's inflict as much damage as possible. The only use for knights in my opinion are reckon and pillage missions. But 2 of defense is just not enough
                researching straight to knights means you have fuedalism while the other guy goes for the better crusaders. i think vet knights beat un-vet crusaders....unless he wastes time making barracks.

(i use ICS alot now so i consider improvements a waste )
                Last edited by Kataphraktoi; May 23, 2002, 17:05.

Comment

READ MY SIG!
                  Last edited by Andemagne; May 26, 2002, 10:06.
                  My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

Originally posted by Cataphract887
                    researching straight to knights means you have fuedalism while the other guy goes for the better crusaders. i think vet knights beat un-vet crusaders....unless he wastes time making barracks.
                    You have Feudalism and from your comment about Barracks Sun Tzu's - I have the 10 shield Warrior slot and can rush faster and more efficiently -- the main reason I eschew the path to Chivalry is I hate losing that Warrior ...

SG[1]

Comment

The immediate benefit of crusaders vs. knights is the 5 attack factor vs 4. If, however, you plan to attack with them, they should be vets. If this is the case, the vet benefit is 50%, rounded down, making it 6, the same value as knights 6. In this case, the new knight defensive value of 3 can be decisive.

Comment

The immediate benefit of crusaders vs. knights is the 5 attack factor vs 4. If, however, you plan to attack with them, they should ve vets. If this is the case, the vet benefit is 50%, rounded down, making it 6, the same value as knights 6. In this case, the new knight defensive value of 3 can be decisive.

Comment

Your math is a little off geofelt. 5 + 2= 7 Crusaders still have the edge in offense.
                          Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                          I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

The immediate benefit of crusaders vs. knights is the 5 attack factor vs 4. If, however, you plan to attack with them, they should ve vets. If this is the case, the vet benefit is 50%, rounded down, making it 6, the same value as knights 6. In this case, the new knight defensive value of 3 can be decisive
                            they will be vets if your enemy goes for crusaders and therefore leaves you un-opposed to build the academy...

Your math is a little off geofelt. 5 + 2= 7 Crusaders still have the edge in offense
                            what the heck are you defending with?definitly not pikemen if you went for crusaders meaning the knights a big advantage because your best defense unit is what?a phalanx?

im assuming both players ICSed and are next to each other and only techs researched are ones needed for knights\crusaders?

now that ive tried ICS it seems the only viable strategy...

Comment

Yes my vet Phalanx behind walls defends at 9 you attack at 6 - and as I have a barracks my Phalanx is fit next turn - and yes your vet pikeys behind walls chew up my Crooks - i hope to get there first ...

SG[1]

Comment

Working...
                              X