Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any issues with the CivFanatics MGE upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any issues with the CivFanatics MGE upgrade?

OK. Am waiting on one of my Civ2 CDs to be returned to me so I can play MGE using the upgrade from 2.78 from CivFanatics. I have heard that a good idea is to disable all the movies/advisors/music etc. I don't know why this is yet, but maybe shade will tell me.

Does anyone else have a suggestion for me or a report on issues I need to be aware of when using this upgrade? I can't act on them yet, until Friday, but I'd appreciate the info.
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

I guess not, then.
    Consul.

Comment

One thing is not completely clear to me: I have TOT and Civ II (2.42) and the question is: do I need an upgrade (patch/whatever) to play MGE OR is a totally different thing? And if so, what exactly is Ver. 2.78 (is a 2.42 for MGE? )

...puzzled....
      googol... this is a number!
      "Silence Ming. I will let you know when I feel you are needed." - HappySunShine
      "Classic Eyes...But in reality, it works the other way around." - Ming

Comment

Ah. let me explain...

The version of Civ2 that was released is 2.42. There are two add-on packs: Conflicts In Civilization (CiC - Scenarios) and Fantastic Worlds (FW - more complex Scenarios). I don't know what version is with CiC, but v2.78 is the Civ2 version for FW. MGE is the Multiplayer Gold Edition, which was released after and features some changes as well as the addition of multiplayer.

If you have any of these versions or Test of Time and want to play MGE (seems to be regarded as the best version), you can download an unofficial upgrade from the site civfanatics.com. These zipfiles have the MGE versions of all of the relevant Civ2 game files. Just follow the instructions in the file and you can play MGE v1.3, the latest Civ2 version. One point though, you need any Civ2 CD in the CD-ROM drive to play MGE, although I have found a No-CD patch for the game also.

With this thread I was hoping that someone could tell me if there were any problems with this "unofficial" patching - apparently they can't.

Here's the link to the patch. Good luck! http://www.civfanatics.com/civ2cedric.shtml
        Consul.

Comment

I used the unofficial upgrade patch from 2.42 to MGE. It seems to be working pretty well.

I have a few very minor issues with the loading screen used in MGE, I prefered the 2.42 version, but that is incredibly minor.

The civilopedia is different, as well, and it took me a bit to get used to it (I never used CiC, FW or ToT so I don't know when the changes happened).

The upgrade went smoothly, I backed up everything and followed instructions.

I then grabbed the 1.3 patch for MGE to make sure I had the latest version of MGE. Then I grabbed the no-CD patch for MGE 1.3 (I don't remember where I got it, might have been on one of the boards at CivFanatic, might have been GameCopyWorld) and installed that. I did this because my Civ2 CD is old (from '96) and not very reliable anymore. I'm also lazy.

All in all, I've enjoyed MGE 1.3. I can now play just about any scenario I want, the game seems a bit tighter over all, and though it was a little bit of a hassle to get it all set up right, it wasn't difficult.

Hope this helps.

-Yook

Comment

MrWhereItsAt, Yook, thanks a lot for your help.
            I'll try to download the patch and I'll see...
            Thanks again folks!
            googol... this is a number!
            "Silence Ming. I will let you know when I feel you are needed." - HappySunShine
            "Classic Eyes...But in reality, it works the other way around." - Ming

Comment

I used the MGE patch and the FW patch from civfanatics, and they both work great. I have to admit I did so purely fo scenario puposes and not for MP, so I don't know how well MP works.

Comment

I've installed the Gold upgrade over my copy of Fantastic worlds.

This is the problem.

Scenarios work, as to events, but I cannot get the additional editor for scenarios that is available for FW when I turn on the cheats, any ideas?

Comment

I can never get the MGE patch to work properly, but I have a generally buggy computer.
                  FW is fine though, and does me well. The scen editor is most useful.
                  Whether you like it or not, history is on our side.
                  We will bury you.

- N.S. Khrushchev

Comment

I have since found that the AI is VICIOUS like a hungry ferret down your trousers in MGE. "Peace? I hate the word..."

And I have FW and it seems that all the funky changes happened in MGE.
                    Consul.

Comment

Working...
                    X