Stack error when installing Civ2 on Windows 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stack error when installing Civ2 on Windows 2000

Has anyone else experienced difficulties with the installation of Civ2 on Win2K running on a standalone PC? I'm stymied by a stack error. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Not met that one personally, but suggest you ensure that no extraneous applications are running before you install - use Ctrl-Alt-Del to remove all but Explorer & Systray ...

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
      Not met that one personally, but suggest you ensure that no extraneous applications are running before you install - use Ctrl-Alt-Del to remove all but Explorer & Systray ...

Thanks for your reply. That's certainly good general advice.

Unfortunately, my problem is not solved. I suspect there is some difficulty with the video drivers that Civ2 installs.

Regards,

An Aylesbury Duck

Comment

Hello planman91,

I have similar problems under WinXP on my new PC (see the thread "Problems with Civ2-Videos").

If the stack error message refers to a file called "ir41.dll", it can be avoided by renaming the file (e.g. to "ir41._ll") in the windows\system directory. The bad news is that without the file, the videos in the game will not work, but at least you can play the game.

Verrucosus

Comment

Originally posted by Verrucosus

If the stack error message refers to a file called "ir41.dll", it can be avoided by renaming the file (e.g. to "ir41._ll")...The bad news is that without the file, the videos in the game will not work, but at least you can play the game.
          It is the "ir41.dll" library file that is causing the problem. Given that Windows XP and Windows 2000 are 32 bit systems not based on DOS, I suspect the file is doing something with video in 16 bits that is not supported under these OS's. Unfortunately, I haven't yet found a workaround.

Thanks for the tip about renaming the file. You may be interested to know that if the CD is not in the CD-ROM drive I can play the game, again without any of the extra multimedia.

Regards,
          An Aylesbury Duck

Comment

Wow!

This is all very interesting, but I have Win XP and Civ2 works fine.

My friend has the 64-bit edition, and it works fine then too. WOW! i did something right then hey?

Comment

Working...
            X