Conservative challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conservative challenge

I recently got wondering how conservatisim would fit Civ, and got this. Lo and behold - The Conservative Challenge.

- You have to play as Americans.

- You cannot set taxes higher than 10%, in any part of the game.

- You cannot use Democracy or Communism.

- You have to keep city pop/5 (rounded down) cheapest military units in cities all the time. (symbolizes citizen militia & right to bear arms.)

- You cannot build Recycling Centers or Mass Transit. (Hippie liberal trash.)

- You cannot build United nations.

Well... that's a start, anyway. Anyone willing to try or invent new conservatisms to put in?
    "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
    "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

How about a liberal challenge?
    [*]You have to play as the French
    [*]You cannot set luxeries higher than 10% in any part of the game (class envy)
    [*]You cannot use Monarchy, Republic (states' rights? what state' rights?), or Fundamentilism
    [*]You can build only defensive units (only 1/city)(peaceniks), dips (no spies--wouldn't be nice), and partisans
    [*]You cannot build Banks & Stock Exchanges (capitalist pigs), and you cannot irrigate forests or mine (tree huggers)
    [*]You cannot build any wonder EXCEPT the UN

That's a response Can anyone think of more liberalisms?
    [This message has been edited by The Mad Monk (edited March 25, 2000).]
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

How about a Nihilist/Anarchist Challenge?

Survive a whole game, every turn possible, you must be in anarchy. Cannot build UN or Great Wall...cannot build courthouses.

Survival would be the goal, but, to make it challenging (and more anarchist), why not set things at blood-lust, raging hordes?

-KhanMan
      Nihilist Creed: "One for all, and all for None!"
      Odin, Thor, and Loki walk into a bar together...
      -KhanMan

Comment

I've already tried that--it's called, "Me, Attempting Diety Level"!
        [This message has been edited by The Mad Monk (edited March 26, 2000).]
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

MM-LOL!

I had the same experience, for awhile, today, while trying our the killer new modern world modpack...

I had SoL, but there was always just one town I'd miss, with just enough unhappiness to catapult me out of democracy again...spent about 15 back-to-back turns in anarchy, with the senate being re-elected, then murdered, then animated as zombie senators, only to be killed again...

"'Canada' spelled backwards is: 'civ2 mp players cannot build on mountains!'
          -KhanMan
          Odin, Thor, and Loki walk into a bar together...
          -KhanMan

Comment

A few more suggestions for the Conservative Challenge scenario:

- every city MUST contain a Temple and Cathedral

- Labor Union cannot be researched

- as with Fundamentalism, Fanatics can be produced

- besides the hated United Nations, there are two other Wonders that can never be built: Women's Suffrage and Darwin's Voyage

Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Conservatives:
              Can't use Elvis
              Can't research Environmentalism
              Can't build Shakespeare's Theatre
              Best MMORPG on the net: www.cyberdunk.com?ref=310845

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi

Comment

fine ideas, but has anyone managed to survive this anarchy/conservative ****???

------------------
                ThermiteB(that's me!) RLZ like HELL!!!!!!!!!!
                "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

I'm sorry, but this takes all the fun out of the game.

Comment

More conservatism:

-No stacking units. Your televagelists warn that its "too gay"...( we are against invading peoples' privacy, now where do you want our spy camera in your bedroom?)
                    -No playing as the Egyptians( scantily claded female emissaries are definitely out)
                    -can't build research lab( research? who needs research when all our answers are in a 2,000 year old book)

More Liberalism:
                    -No building cathedrals (religion? who needs religion when all our answers are in a computer hard drive)
                    -must build colleseums (bread and circuses!)
                    -all your spies are on counter espionage( not to protect the country, the president just wants them there for "emotional support")

[This message has been edited by Emperor10 (edited April 11, 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                    X