I really must know...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really must know...

These issues must have been addressed previously, but after searching through the archived threads, I still can't find an answer. So at the risk of posing a question that has already been asked and answered, here goes:

1) How many turns are there for each level??
    2) Everyone knows navigation and seafaring help reduce the chance of a trireme sinking when away from land, but by how much? Has anyone quantified this??

This link has the answer to question 1. Look at the Time Warp heading. http://ltswww.epfl.ch/~winkler/civ2.html

According to the CIV2 instruction manual,
    seafaring changes the odds from 1 in 2 to 1 in 4 of sinking. Navigation changes the odds to 1 in 8.
    "Cease fire! Please! Cease fire. What a dreadful waste of ammunition!" -- General Horatio Herbert Kitchener
    --

Comment

Thanks gothmog, I appreciate your help. And that link was perfect - lots of great info if anyone else is interested.

Comment

Playing SP at Chieftain level, my experience has been that, once improved, ("Seafaring"?
        "Lighthouse"?), the trireme won't sink anywhere...except under the guns of a hostile Hottentot, or similar restless native of the Civ world...
        [This message has been edited by George Garrett (edited March 26, 2000).]

Comment

triremes have been known to sink even with the lighthouse but not nearly as frequently....
          Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Interesting--I thought that the Lighthouse, by definition, made triremes sink-proof; what were the circumstances?
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

It does. According to the manual. It also gives vet status to every new boat you build. According to the manual. Presumably war is referring to only one of the myriad bugs and glitches that pop up from time to time. Some amusing, most not.

As Deity wasn't amused the other night when he rush built a settler in his city and ended up with a Chariot (belonging to another Civ!) instead of the settler.

------------------
              finbar
              Mono Rules!
              " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
              "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

George-

Yes, if you have the Lighthouse, your triremes will not sink.

Gothmog-

After doing some experiments, I believe the most accurate way to describe the effect of Seafaring and Navigation is describe the change as relative, i.e. each advance halves the chance (doubles the trireme modifier in rules.txt) of your trireme sinking. When I changed the global variable from 2 to 3, the odds went roughly 1 in 3, 1 in 6, and 1 in 12.

Comment

Shamrock
                  I was wondering what the effect of tinkering with the global variable would be. Now I know.
                  "Cease fire! Please! Cease fire. What a dreadful waste of ammunition!" -- General Horatio Herbert Kitchener
                  --

Comment

Well I had a Trireme sink in port! Something to do with one land square cities.
                    But I still think it was sabotage. Someone snuck on board one night when the crew was on shore leave and opened the sea cocks!

Comment

Must have been a papyrus trireme hehe
                      The journey itself is the thing~Odysseus

Comment

Working...
                      X