Monarchy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monarchy

What year do you, in general, reach Monarchy?
    Has anybody else noticed such a trend in their playmanship strategies?

Hopefully, somewhere between 3000 and 2000BC.....hopefully
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

It's nice to start with it.

Comment

MWHC-*STARTING* with Monarchy? You can't be serious! Any good player in an MP game is not going to give you THAT kind of advantage...

:P

-KhanMan
        Odin, Thor, and Loki walk into a bar together...
        -KhanMan

Comment

I've really made weird experiences in connection with starting technologies, but I NEVER had got monarchy from the beginning

Comment

I have. But it was an unusually rich start in every way.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

One question about ToT: is it worth the money I have to spend when I buy it? I am not sure whether I should support or not...

------------------
              Landmine has taken my sight, taken my speech, taken my hearing, taken my arms, taken my legs, taken my soul, left me with life in hell

Comment

I found it was worth it at $20. I bought Civ II at a warehouse club a month earlier for $8.
                You'll probably hate the graphics at first, although I got used to them over time; I still miss the high council and wonder movies , though. The best parts of TOT, as far as I'm concerned, are the four map worlds (which force you into a different mode of thinking), and the different terrains and tech trees.

Comment

Monk: Tell me more!!!

Comment

To start off, I play TOT; I don't know if this has any effect on the way the game deals initial goodies, but it's necessary to note since this was a SF (Lalande) game--I'll convert to standard Civ as much as possible for those without TOT. I generated a random 100x100 world, on King level, with max. barb action, and took a human colony (True Colony, if that matters).
                    The first thing I noticed was an unusually high number of techs mentioned in the start text; the next thing I noticed were the two colonists (settlers), next to water and wreckage (goody hut) with two specials visible (and positioned so I suspected there was a four special start right next to me). I pulled up the science advisor and counted SIX techs! These were Adaptive Farming (provides harbor eq.), Aerology (provides trireme eq.), Code of Trust (Code of Laws), Craftsmanhsip (provides palace and JSB eqs.), Expedient Hierarchy (MONARCHY), and Trade Guilds (Writing). I was astounded.
                    I was also curious as to what the heck could provoke such a start, so I saved the game, hit the cheat menu, and revealed the map. I already knew there was mostly plains and salt flats (2 shields, 1 trade, 0 food, 2 move, minable and roadable); the revealed map showed a lot more of them, as well as hills, mountains, and a couple impassable terrains. Very little grassland. On a large continent. Then a noticed a second civ on the other side of the continent, about fifteen squares away, with two colonists. I set human player to them, and discovered that they had the exact same techs! . I noticed most of the other civs had two colonists too, but didn't look futher than that.
                    I haven't played this game yet--I'm letting it age for a bit so I can forget most of what I saw. It will be interesting.
                    [This message has been edited by The Mad Monk (edited March 25, 2000).]

Comment

Yeah, Smash. I've found my strategy gets me there about 2500 b.c.
                      I appreciate the response, which dealt with answering the question of the thread.

Comment

Of course, I realize there are certain players that get to Explorers by 3500 b.c.
                        I can't compete with that level of {greatness}.

Comment

Sorry about that!
                          I'm not sure sure exactly when I get Monarchy, but on King level I always have it by around 2K BC. I make a beeline for it, and if I didn't start with any techs, it'll usually be the fifth tech I research, thanks to the way research choices skip. Map Making tends to be the 'off' tech, unless I'm still landlocked.

Comment

Usually around 3400 B.C. I get Monarchy. I haven't bothered to try on cheif but on warlord, I can get to future tech 120 or so before the timer runs out.

------------------
                            Webmaster---Come to the Civworld Forums

"If you cannot beat them, don't join them, instead corrupt them, make them join you, then throw them off a cliff."

"Greatness is measured by how evil you are, the more evil, the greater you become."

Comment

hehehe..ya i read about that explorer business.Seafaring is not that many techs away but 3500bc?No way..well I guess there is a way
                              The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Working...
                              X