AI Win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AI Win

Has anyone ever lost to the AI while trying to play a good game? How did it win? (spaceship, domination, etc)

Just curious

Yep, both spaceship and world conquest, but only at lower levels. Not that I always win at higher levels, but now I know earlier when the writing's on the wall.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Re: AI Win

Originally posted by sgsmitty
      Has anyone ever lost to the AI while trying to play a good game? How did it win? (spaceship, domination, etc)

Just curious
      yes, I've lost several times, usually as a result of conquest. They would win by spaceship, but bringing down the capital, especially with the UN wonder, is very easy. once in a while I get a really hard civ that expands and controls nearly two thirds of the map...at that point a victory would be very difficult

usually things like that occur after a while without playing, when you forget build orders, etc.

Comment

my first game at deity on a small map. after 3-4 turns an ai horse popped my second settler then walked into my undefended capital (i think i was using 2x2x MP setting too)
        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

The most demoralistic defeat I ever had at the hands of the AI was when on a deity game I had them all the run, I was the stronmgest Civ and I had them fighting each other, so I was quite confortable, I decoded to build the complete space shuttle every component and I lauched it and then I waited for it to get there The problem was that one of the other civs build a rocket with less components and luanched it, it over took mine and got there first I could not belive it.
          Just for that I continued the game and nuked them all the hell and back
          I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

In the early days I'd occasionally get beat to AC. I've never been conquered by the AI, tho. My first tries while moving up thru the difficulty levels often resulted in me throwing in the towel, which is a conceded defeat. In those cases, there was usually a gargantuan AI civ against which I would have had no chance, even in a space race.
            The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
            intelligence to few.

Comment

I can recall a game where I was the Finns
              (mod of the Russians) on prince/large/...

In the 1920's my civ began to construct
              FSS Rasmus, and I was the first nation
              to start the space race.

But suddenly I was over whelmed by Hannibal.
              The Carthaginian empire had steadily grown
              over the years, so it was the largest civ.
              Thanks to the fundamental government,
              Hannibal could rapidly expand.

Two turns after I had begun to build
              my space craft, Hannibal rush built
              a large part of his vessel. That completely
              baffled me, because I certainly wasn't
              prepared for a such fast race.
              My democratic government had caused
              me a big problem; I had to change to
              fundamentalism and try to buy the rest of
              the parts needed.

Luckily Hannibal hadn't invented Superconductor,
              so that gave me some extra turns to beat
              the Carthaginians.

After an aggressive space program,
              I could finally launch my spaceship.

But, surprise, surprise!
              Who launched his vessel next turn?

Hannibal!

The Finnish space craft was due to arrive
              in 1937 and Hannibal's in... 1936!

But why did that happen? I built two useless
              spare propulsions!

---

This is my worst lost game ever.
              "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

If I don't get killed early, most AI wins come from having one aggressive (Carthagenian, Japanese, Mongol) and one developmental (Persian, Egyptian, Babylonian) Civ in the game too far from me and each other to take out early. Between the two of them, they get out of hand both militarily and scientifically. As mentioned by Rufus earlier, I usually quit before I lose, but these could be considered AI victories.
                No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I don't recall hving been beaten by the AI. Not even once. In Civ1 the story was so different though..

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                    Yep, both spaceship and world conquest, but only at lower levels. Not that I always win at higher levels, but now I know earlier when the writing's on the wall.
                    does this mean you usually quit when falling behind !!!
                    GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Working...
                    X