No announcement yet.

Civs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The two I like the most are the Mongols and English.
    I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

Indians and English!
      Feel the wrath of Mother Russia!

Comment

YORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Vikings because i'm Norwegian American
        Long Live Leif Eriksson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The Vikings are fun to play (and their starting techs offer a wide and unpredictable mix of science) ... but will somebody please tell me if there is/was a city called The Udal and is/was it on this planet?

------------

SG(2)
          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I usually play as the Aztecs. I like the visibility of the yellow. If I play other colors, I generally will choose Americans in light blue, French in dark blue, English in orange, and Sioux in purple. For some reason, white and green don't appeal to me.
            Frodo lives!

Comment

Tend to play them all, just to see how it goes. Have won the most spectacurly with the Greeks. Personal favorite is the Celts, as I think of myself as Irish-American. Have a visceral dislike for the British Empire strong enough to affect negatively the games I play as the English.
              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                The Vikings are fun to play (and their starting techs offer a wide and unpredictable mix of science) ... but will somebody please tell me if there is/was a city called The Udal and is/was it on this planet?

------------

SG(2)
                You made me curious, SG so I went looking. Not only was there The Udal, it was in the British Isles! From a page on British archaeology:
                The Udal

A Bone comb of the Viking age

How should we study a landscape? We need to begin with total familiarity with every available source. We then need to find the opportunity for a major excavation with maximum depth, and then strip it painstakingly layer by layer - Research with a Capital R - not mere rescue. An outstanding example of this has been Iain Crawford’s work in North Uist, and particularly at the Udal.

Iain Crawford read first history and then archaeology at Cambridge in the 1950s. When he was appointed to the School of Scottish Studies in Edinburgh, he resolved to study the Western Isles. He started by reading Celtic, assessing the documents and place-names, and using this background to carry out field survey for settlement survivals.

The recorded history of North Uist begins in 1469 when James II of Scotland gave a charter to the MacDonalds of Sleat granting them possession of North Uist, from which the Udal can be identified.

The Udal was abandoned following the sandblows of the 1690s, but when the sand was removed, the village abandoned in 1690’s that was revealed. A coin of Charles II, a turner or twopence issued in 1663-8 marks the end of the habitation.

The Udal was a more important village than most, for it was a tacksman’s township, the township where the tacksman lived. The tacksman was the squire of the social structure in the Western Isles in the Middle Ages: he was the person who collected the rents, typically controlling around 10 townships and himself paying an often nominal rent to the chief, the ultimate owner.
                Unsurprisingly, though, most of the hits I got while searching for this were to Civ pages -- though, apparently, "The Udal" is also the name of a pub in Thessaloniki!
                "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Thank you Rufus

Certainly the Viking influence on British history was considerable. The town where I live is thought to have originated from a Viking settlement.

The Udal sounds so small that the Vikings must have been ICSing at the time! Another ICS speck on the map is Ribblehead, high up in the Pennines. Today it is better known for its spectacular railroad viaduct built by the Midland Railway Company in the 1870s.

-------------------

SG(2)
                  "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                  "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

The French, the Americans, and Vikings of course.

Comment

my first post

Hi everybody!

Because I am from Sweden, I always play as the Swedes. I always play as the blue nation, because I don't want to fight against the Vikings. They are Swedes too... almost.

Comment

I usually play as the russians renamed the Soviet Union.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I use to play as one of the blue civs, mostly Vikings.
                          Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Working...
                          X