Extracting soundbites from avi files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extracting soundbites from avi files

I'd like to get hold of some of the advisors' comments from the COUNCILx.AVI files - can anybody recommend any freeware that's able to do the job?

Or better still, any links to existing CIV sound-bites?

Can't you just play them and configure the sound recorder to record wave output?
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

As a database guy myself, I just love it when tekkies respond to questions with what to them is obvious, but to the rest of us remains obscure. How do I play them; what sound recorder; configure to wav???? I think this sounds neat too, but hadn't a clue as to where to start. Now I have clues, but no idea on how to proceed.
      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Sorry, I was in a hurry.
        I hope you run Windows 95/98/ME
        First: Run "Sndvol32.exe". That will open a mixer.
        Choose "Options\Properties..."
        Select "Recording "
        Make sure that "Wave Output" or "Mixed Output" is marked in the list in the bottom of the screen.
        Click "OK"
        Now mark Choose under Mixed Output or Wave Output (depends of Version (You shall only have one of them))
        (You may have to adjust the level of that volume too. It might require some tries to get the right volume)

Now your computer is set to record what is played in the speakers.

Run "Sndrec32.exe". That will open The Sound Recorder.
        Press the Button with a red filled circle on it (Yes, I mean the Rec button).
        Now, soundrec will record all sound that is played by the computer for the next 60 seconds. Yes it is a short record, but I think it will be enough for you to play that animation in the sequence where you want the sound. If not You will have to record nothing for the time you need (by starting the recorder again after 60 seconds) or you have to download another recorder.

After you have recorded the desired sequence you will have to trim the sound to just contain that. Play the sound until the sequence begins, stop it and select remove everything before current position from the edit menu. Find the end of the sequence and remove everything after.

You may want to save the uptake before editing.
        You may also have to turn off all Windows sounds while recording.

I have translated all menu options from Swedish, so they may be in other names, with almost the same meaning.

I hope this clears things up.

Comment

I tested myself now, and I forgot somethings.

First How to play:
          Run "mplayer.exe" and select to open the selected file.
          Search for the correct sequence and pause.
          Unpause when you are ready to record.

You should also check the properties of the Sound in the Sound Recorder.
          File\Properties
          Click Convert and select CD-quality.

Comment

My mind's boggling at the thought that you can play & record with a single card, but that's certainly freeware, thanks, Gramphos.

If I get some clean soundbites, I'll upload some.

Comment

There's an application calles Avi2Wav...it allows you to rip the sound off avi's...

Comment

Your method is working fine, Gramphos.

2 comments;

With my Yamaha soundcard/98se the required channel is labelled "stereo out" - I don't have the 2 (wave or mixed) you mention.

8-bit mono gives me adequate quality & much smaller files.

The movies (councilx.avi) have a black frame between each section, so it's not too hard to get the bits required.

Comment

Originally posted by cpemma
                  Your method is working fine, Gramphos.

2 comments;

With my Yamaha soundcard/98se the required channel is labelled "stereo out" - I don't have the 2 (wave or mixed) you mention.
                  I can't know what it is named in all sound cards
                  8-bit mono gives me adequate quality & much smaller files.
                  I used Radio quality for my first one, and it sounded totally different from the one in the movie, but I ting stereo is unnecessary. I just thought better have it work without more questions then saving 512 kB per sound clip

The movies (councilx.avi) have a black frame between each section, so it's not too hard to get the bits required.
                  Good you are making progress.

Comment

Working...
                  X