units and formations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• units and formations

In CTP I used to build an army of 120 tanks and blast my enemies to pieces. In Civ II I realized it would be impossible because of the sheer difficulty of moving 120+ units. Is there any way to lock several units into an army group? Is there a way to order a unit to move to a tile? I've also noticed that when directed to a distant city from a peninsula, my tanks reach the shore and begin dashing around in a circle. Is there a way around this, or will I have to grin and bear it?

Thanks in advance.
    Truth is not negotiable.

There are no armies in civ2 you have to move each unit seperately. You can use the go to command, but as you've already discovered, it sucks. if you hold down the mouse cursor over a tile several spaces away from your unit, the unit will go to that spot, but beware, the unit might not go the way you think it should. If there was ever any reason to have a small army, the fact that I had to move each unit seperately was the best.

Comment

H Tower, would that be the right mouse button or the left? Ah well, a few tiles away is better than tile by tile. But if it doesn't go the right way that's not a good decision... I'll just have to grin (or not, which is more likely) and bear it.
      Truth is not negotiable.

Comment

The right mouse button

the subject says it all. but just in case, i'm pretty sure its the right mouse button for go-to command. i turn on fast piece slide and move each unit one space at a time, i don't risk my units to the computer to decide. be especially careful where the map coordinates switch from a high number to 0. its either the international dateline or the prme meridian or something. the computer will want to go all the way around the world to get to where its supposed to go.

Comment

You could also go to the toolbar and find the shortcut to the "go-to command" I think it is "G".
          -->Visit CGN!
          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
            You could also go to the toolbar and find the shortcut to the "go-to command" I think it is "G".
            I use that occasionally, but it only tells the unit to go to a city.

I have another unit question, and a question which in my opinion is not worth a whole new thread.

Why does the pikemen unit have an asterisk beside his defense value ( 1/2*/1) in the city production list?

And

Why are some advance names in the Science Advisor screen in blue and others in white?
            Truth is not negotiable.

Comment

Originally posted by Dictatress
              I have another unit question, and a question which in my opinion is not worth a whole new thread.

Why does the pikemen unit have an asterisk beside his defense value ( 1/2*/1) in the city production list?
              that's because the units defense is multiplied by 2 against units that have more than one movement point.

Why are some advance names in the Science Advisor screen in blue and others in white?
              I have no idea

Comment

a pikeman has an asterix, because it's defence is multiplied by 2 against mounted attack not against units with two movement points

Comment

a pikeman has an asterix, because it's defence is multiplied by 2 against mounted attack not against units with two movement points

Comment

oops! sorry, BTW the techs in blue are the one you either started with or researched yourself, the white ones are those you were given by other Civs or got out of huts

Comment

Close, but no cigar. Pikeman have 3 defense (1.5x bonus) against units with 2 moves and 1 hitpoint (i.e. horsemen, chariots, elephants, knights, crusaders). White techs on your science page are ones you discovered first; white techs on foreign science pages (after you've established an embassy) are techs you don't have.

Comment

Working...
                      X