Go Home, Yanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go Home, Yanks

I've been at peace (no alliance) with the Americans since year dot, the Foreign Minister tells me I'm still at peace with them, but now (1400) they're clustering round my cities and I've no option to request their withdrawal.

I do have an option to sign a permanent Peace Treaty.

Marco Polo (mine) has expired - is that relative?

You have an option to sign a permanent peace treaty? In that case, you're not at peace with them. Signing it should give you back the option to ask them to move. If that's what you want. If you thought you had a peace treaty with them and it seems to have disappeared without you being aware of it - well, that often happens in the game.

Marco Polo's expiration doesn't mean anything beyond you losing its benefits - embassies with the other civs and contact with any civs you haven't otherwise physically met in the game.
    Last edited by finbar; August 16, 2001, 19:36.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

If you have a peace treaty, you can tell them to get their troops out of your city radius.

if it's just a cease fire, they can still hang out around your cities, just not attack you. sign that peace treaty and tell them to get out.

if you tell them to get out, and they say they have no units in your territory, then it gets interesting. it has been documented by several on this site that that is a sign of imminent sneak attack

but it only works if you have a peace treaty.
      Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
      ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

You have an option to sign a permanent peace treaty? In that case, you're not at peace with them.
        So my Foreign Minister is out of touch. I did check with her.

For info, they wouldn't sign, & a Yank diplomat stole some tech a turn or two later, plunging my democracy into war.

Oh Goody...

Comment

Originally posted by cpemma

So my Foreign Minister is out of touch. I did check with her.

For info, they wouldn't sign, & a Yank diplomat stole some tech a turn or two later, plunging my democracy into war.

Oh Goody...
          Sounds like a typical glitch-type thing. At some point, the peace treaty was obviously dissolved without you - or your FM - knowing it. It's not uncommon for peace treaties to disappear without it being announced to you by the other civ. The difference to your case being, though, that when you check the FM window, it indicates there's no treaty. There's no explanation for how or when the treaty disappeared, it just happens. Like many things in this game.
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Sometime, it happens that by asking for a tribute, they withdraw...

Comment

Hello cpemma (svenska?)!

I've had similar problems many times. This is what I think has happened to me:

After the expiration of Marco Polos Embassy, all treaties with the players I haven't made physical contact with disappear.

As far as I understand, the same thing has happened to you, and now the Americans have made contact again, but the old treaties are gone. :banned:

Strange but true, (I think . Anyone experienced! Please confirm this!).
              -Will you destroy this "Earth"?
              -No, I like to play with things for a while before annihilation!

Comment

There's a bug that causes treaties to disappear at random times. It has nothing to do with Marco Polo, I don't think. What does happen with Marco is that if you don't actually talk to a civ before Marco expires, then you will have to make physical contact with that civ in order to talk to it.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Quite right, KH. Marco Polo's expiration has no effect on existing treaties.

Marco Polo basically creates embassies with all the other Civs. Post-Marco Polo, you will still have embassies with any Civs with which you've physically established them, but you lose the embassies you haven't physically established - which is to say, those that were created for you by the Wonder.

Oh, and you no longer have contact with any Civs you haven't physically met, despite having communicated with them via the benefits of the Wonder. Very bizarre.

Comment

Yeah, it's happned to me.

I've signed a treaty and some turns laters, i can't ask them to withdraw. my Foreign minister says we are at pece, and i am given the option o sign a peace treaty when i talk to them.
                    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Working...
                    X