Exciting mid and end games :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exciting mid and end games :(

OK, that's meant in irony. For me, the best part of a CivII game is the opening 4 or 5 thousand years. Up to that point, the AI civs are roughly comparable to my Civ in size and there isn't a huge military tech differential between me and them. There's exploring, hut tipping to accomplish, and a sense of the unknown, wondering where the other Civs are and how big they are.

However, once the mid to end game arrives, the game starts to lose its hold on me. Normally, I'll have at least 30-50 cities, and at that point, it's just a relentless grind through the AI cities with artillery (howitzers later) or a long wait while spaceship parts are built. Not very exciting.

I'm sure a lot of you have heard this lament before My point is, has anyone ever experienced a game where you had a healthy lead over the AI and the AI somehow managed a comeback? Alternatively (since I doubt the AI makes comebacks well), how does one make the endgame interesting? Short of imposing artificial limitations on oneself, or going the deity +1,2,3... route? That would certainly liven up the endgame, I'm sure, but I'd never make it out of the opening!

I guess this is directed to those of us who are non-OCCers, and those of you who regularly land on AC pre 1500AD probably won't have much memory of the AI being a threat at ANY time

Also... sometimes, I'll play a game and the bigger AI civs will build, oh, 20-40 cities each. Other games, (same level, same settings), AI civs will max out at about 15 cities. Since the games with very large AIs seem to be the most challenging, does anyone know what settings will encourage the AI civs to expand the most? Obviously, choose 'expansionist' personalities, but what else? I know an 'archipeligo' map isn't it

STYOM
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Play normally until 1000ad or so.Hit cheat menu/set human player and make yourself the weakest civ and see what can be done to defeat your former civ.
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

That seems like a Smash-ing idea.
      As for me, the game is most fun playing until ca. 1500 AD. But it all depends on the difficulty level.

Comment

Sometimes I will deliberately 'garden' an AI ally...

I have been surprised on occasion by massive Celt or Mongol late game attacks but they don't follow up very well...
        "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
        "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
        "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

This dull endgame problem is precisely why most of my games end up in the "recycling bin" on the desktop around 1700. I've found that the enjoyable developmental and exploratory game can be lengthened by:
          • Raising the research rate in rules.txt
          • Using the map editor to give myself a terrible starting position
          • Giving one or two AI civs starting spots that would hinder my expansion
          • Play with certain goals in mind, such as coastal colonies near each AI civ (trading post, if you will). Maintaining them is costly when at war, some strategizing is needed.
          This doesn't solve the problem of eventually reaching the boring part, tho. The AI will expand more if the map is larger, should that be a route you wish to explore. Good luck, let us know how you resolve this boredom!
          The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
          intelligence to few.

Comment

Scenario solution

I can't remember the last time i played a regular civ game. I just play one of the 150 or so scenarios i've downloaded from here and other places. (mostly other places)

Comment

Originally posted by Smash
              Play normally until 1000ad or so.Hit cheat menu/set human player and make yourself the weakest civ and see what can be done to defeat your former civ.
              sounds a laugh actually, gotta try it!

Comment

Working...
              X