Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noooooooo Science in Fundamentalism at all - What can I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noooooooo Science in Fundamentalism at all - What can I do?

Hi,
    Can anyone please help with a couple of problems i have in Civ II v2.62.
    Prob 1: Under Fundamentalism government Civ II generates no science AT ALL no matter what the science rate is (I had to use trade routes to generate my ENTIRE science output during wartime last game i played). I have checked the file 'rules.txt' in the Civ II file to make sure that 'Science generated under Fundamentalism' is normal (50%) and it is - Is there any other way to solve this highly annoying problem?
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Prob 2: Also in this version of Civ II, when celebrating 'I love the great Dude/Lady day' in a Democracy, my cities DON'T GROW by one size like they are supposed to. I have made sure that they have food surpluses but still my cities refuse to grow.
    Again, any help much appreciated.

One more thing - Whats the largest city size anybody has achieved without customising the rules or terrain - I'll start with what will probably turn out to be a piddly small 52! Anyone done any better - Let me know how please!!
    "Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most" - True for almost everyone I know!!!

1-dont know

2- you have to be in a republic to grow by 1 size.

52 is pretty big mine is a crappy 40ish
    "Nuke em all, let god sort it out!"

Comment

And how, praytell, did you have a size 52 city? Were you food-caravanning or something?
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by splangy
        1-dont know

2- you have to be in a republic to grow by 1 size.
        Hmmmm? No, should grow in demo as well as republic, something is wrong with his game.

LOTM
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Hmmmm? No, should grow in demo as well as republic, something is wrong with his game.

LOTM
          Unless hes forgotten to build aqueducts
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

was he in a demo/rep? by the way i meant to say demo but was in a hurry
            "Nuke em all, let god sort it out!"

Comment

don't know about the science. that doesn't sound right. maybe try setting the value in rules.txt to 0? see what that does

WLTdudeD in demo should produce growth, if you keep it up for more than 1 turn. you don't get any pop growth the first turn, then if you're still celebrating at the beginning of the next turn, you grow.

I had 3 cities doing the food caravan thing in one game. (that's not altering rules or terrain, right?). after a century or 2, They were sizes 94, 95, and 97!!! the hunger rate was unbelievable.
              I think someone calculated the highest city size in civ1 to be at 60, with all desert oasis squares, irrigated and railroaded. OK, that's messing with the terrain.

I'm not sure waht the highest pop without food caravans would be. let's see a moment..... the most you could get out of any square is 4, that's farmed grassland, or fruit, or fish with harbor. with food = 4 x 21, that's a max of 42 citizens without food caravans or other twiddling.

highest pop I've ever had without twiddling is 38.
              Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
              ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

I've had a size 46 city before- all grassland, with the exception of four wheat or oasis squares, with all farmland and railroad. (Actually, roads don't matter.)

The maximum size for a city is 127 before it rolls over into negative numbers. By fiddling with the rules.txt file, I've gotten it up to 126. I'm still not sure as to whether I can raise it higher, though...

And some people have seen AI cities with populations of negative 122 Try playing on Deity +5 for awhile, and you'll see...
                oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

To get science... Use all the money you earn in Fundamentalism and buy units, then conquer the cities of more advanced nations and steal their techs.
                  -->Visit CGN!
                  -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

"don't know about the science. that doesn't sound right. maybe try setting the value in rules.txt to 0? see what that does"
                    - Father Beast

Thanx, I'll try that.

Everyone who's posted about the Pop growth - thanx - I think it must be a fault in the game but luckily I have 2 different versions of Civ 2 (2.62 & 2.02 I think) and the pop growth works on v2.02 so i'll just have to use that for when celebrating WLTdudeD.

"I'm not sure waht the highest pop without food caravans would be. let's see a moment..... the most you could get out of any square is 4, that's farmed grassland, or fruit, or fish with harbor. with food = 4 x 21, that's a max of 42 citizens without food caravans or other twiddling.

highest pop I've ever had without twiddling is 38."
                    - Father Beast

Yep i've had a 42 size city without twiddling (other than to say it WAS on cheat mode but that was only because i'm a sore loser!!!!) or food routes and this was with farmed grassland completely surrounding my cities thanx to engineers.

To every1 wondering about 52 size city it was for the same reason as Father Beast I think - It was quite a long time ago and I haven't really been trying since, but 94,95,96 - WOW!!!!!!!!
                    "Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most" - True for almost everyone I know!!!

Comment

City size

Yeah, size 46 is the highest population that I've had for any "normal" city. In a 4 special terrain squares in the city radius, all being plains-wheat, and the rest being grasslands. It's been quite a common occurrence for me, but it takes ages to grow the last few citizens, but I don't think food caravans matter much to getting the city size up as long as it's still within the food limit of that city itself?

About your science problem...what do you mean by producing no science at all? No beakers, you mean? Or is it because the research takes so long? Or did you check in the city screen and saw that none of them were producing any science? What size are your cities? Have you built any libraries/universities? Maybe your cities aren't producing enough trade to produce beakers...

Your WLTPD should work...maybe you don't have an aquaduct/sewer systems, not enough food surplus, been a little too impatient? Or maybe it's because one of your game files if corrupt...it happens. Try reinstalling the game and starting a new game (or two).
                      My warrior beat a fortified musketeer behind city walls in a city located on a mountain!!! W00t! If only the other 32 warriors had the same luck...

Comment

About your science problem...what do you mean by producing no science at all? No beakers, you mean? Or is it because the research takes so long? Or did you check in the city screen and saw that none of them were producing any science? What size are your cities? Have you built any libraries/universities? Maybe your cities aren't producing enough trade to produce beakers...
                        Aha! My science problem and my growth problem (That could sound wierd!!!!) must both be caused by the Civ 2 exe program because, with the same files being used by BOTH versions of Civ 2 that I have (v.2.62.exe - The Faulty one & v.1.02.exe - The good one) v.2.62.exe is the only exe program fror the game in which these faults occur. Civ 2 v1.02.exe runs without the faults mentioned in my original post - Maybe I could update v.1.02 so that it has the newest files that the downloads on this site offers but I'm not sure if this would make any difference because both exe programs must be using the same v2.62 files anyway.
                        Hmmmmm - anyone have any suggestions? or alternatively a contact address for the kind people at Micropose would be helpful...
                        Thanx.

Comment

Working...
                        X