A Few Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Few Questions

How do you get into the rules.txt? Can you change a units strengths and graphics in there? Do you need to create a mod. to do that? What exactly is a mod? How do you create a mod? Do you need any special talents (i.e. computer programming) or special software to do so? Obviously I'm not really informed on how to do these things but I would like to know how to do these things, though.
    However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Re: A Few Questions

Originally posted by TechWins
    How do you get into the rules.txt?
    Using your favourite text editor - ie Notepad
    Originally posted by TechWins Can you change a units strengths and graphics in there?
    Yes and No - you can change the unit characteristics, but the graphics are copntained in the file units.gif
    Originally posted by TechWins Do you need to create a mod. to do that? What exactly is a mod?
    No - this would normally be referred to as a scenario. Good question - seeing as some scenarios do a great deal more than some modpacks - I wonder myself exactly what is the difference
    Originally posted by TechWins How do you create a mod?
    see above
    Originally posted by TechWins Do you need any special talents (i.e. computer programming) or special software to do so?
    I don't believe so, but a decent graphics package would be good
    Originally posted by TechWins Obviously I'm not really informed on how to do these things but I would like to know how to do these things, though.
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Just wanted to add a bit of advice:

Don't forget to back up a copy of the rules.txt file BEFORE you start experimenting with changing the game. It can be really really frustrating trying to remember is a grass square gives 1 or 2 food or whether a mech. inf.'s attack is really 6. Otherwise, you have to reinstall the game.

Comment

If you tinker with graphics, be careful about background colors. There are some colors (the last few on a 256 color pallette) that CivII sees as invisible. They are the pink and gray (or purple) you see in the units.gif behind each unit. Changing these colors will make the "background" visible at playtime. Terrain can also be changed in a similar manner.

Paint Shop Pro is an excellent choice, but some sharewares have been found to work, too. PSP has a 30 day trial version if you need to try it first before coughing up the money to buy it.

A modpack is generally a set of altered game files, a scenario is a started game saved as a scenario. Scenarios almost always have altered game files as well, so the distinction has been blurred.
        The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
        intelligence to few.

Comment

Thanks for the help all of you. Although, I'm still not quite sure on how to get into the rules.txt. Could someone go into more detail on how to open them up? Thanks.
          However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Find rules.txt

i'll presume you have a pc and are running windows. you should open windows explorer and look for your civ2 folder. (it might be stuck in the program files folder.) after that, look in the civ2 folder for rules.txt and double click the file. that's all you need to do, but i've found its a lot easier to change the stuff from the rules.txt using the in game editor. I think that the editor only comes with Fantastic worlds and Multiplayer gold, i could be wrong though. You need to understand how all the things in the rules.txt file work before you go about using them, otherwise you'll end up having to delete the rules.txt file and using your backup file. did i forget to mention back up allmost all .txt files?

Comment

thanks. to tell you the truth i just figured that out before i got your post but still thank you.

Comment

good luck!

Comment

Do you need any help with editing the technologies? Sometimes you have to be careful or it stuffs up.
                  Alex

Comment

is it possible to change the effect of wonders and make them d oother things for instance instead of Greatlibrary giving you the advances stuff, perhaps it builds a library in every city... that sort of thing anyway ...
                    GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

I don't think so, unless you decode the game with C++, or whatever it was done in.
                      Alex

Comment

Hmmm... maybe Julius could check out the possibility of changing the effects of Wonders?

Oh, and on editing the technologies, keep the old abbreviations. Otherwise, the game goes bonkers when you try it out.
                        oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

Do you need any help with editing the technologies? Sometimes you have to be careful or it stuffs up
                          No, but thanks anyways.

I made some custom units. One of the units I made was a Harrier, now how do I change it's graphics from being the pre-determined barbarian look to a harrier look? Lets say I want the plane to look like a plane from the Aliens scenario's gifs, how do I do that? I'm just using an example there.

By the way thanks to everybody here that has posted and helped.

Comment

units.gif file. You have to squash the unit graphics down to the proper size, and make sure you use the predefined background colour, or else you won't be able to see the terrain under the unit.
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I've got to the units.gif file before and I don't know what to do. Could somebody go into greater detail than what KH did? I still do appreciate your help, though, KH.

Comment

Working...
                              X