Power Plants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Plants

When I start my own game it won't let me build power plants. I have all of the technologies and am on Future Technology 7.
    "Chemistry is a class you take in high school or college, where you figure out two plus two is 10, or something."
    - Dennis Rodman, NBA Basketball player, on Chicago Bull's team chemistry being overrated

Did you build the Hoover Dam? That works as a hydro plant in all your cities, so you no longer need to build power (or hydro or nuclear) plants.

Comment

Yeah, I have that one, but I need a lot of solar plants to stop global warming.
      "Chemistry is a class you take in high school or college, where you figure out two plus two is 10, or something."
      - Dennis Rodman, NBA Basketball player, on Chicago Bull's team chemistry being overrated

Comment

you playing 2x production ?? i dont usually get gloabal warming on 1x production... do others get this problem
        GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

What is 2x production? I just got the game on Saturday.

Comment

Isn't the only way to play on double resources in multiplayer?

If you've built the Hoover Dam, then you cannot build Power Plants, Hydro Plants or Nuclear Power Plans: the Hoover Dam WoW acts like a free Hydro Plant in every city: there's no need to build it anymore, just make sure that you don't lose the city where you built the HD in.

As for building Solar Plants, you should still be able to do so, but it would not actually make that much difference: if there is any pollution on the map at all, then try and clean it up using your Engineers: that's what's contributing to the pollution, and normally the computer never gets around to cleaning up pollution on its own, so you'll need to take the initiative.

As for global warming, I've had this happen to me many times before (around 3 different games in all: that's still a lot, for global warming), and when it happens, everyone loses. The sea level rises, and many squares near ocean squares become swamps/jungles, or something as bad, and I think maybe some change into water squares as well, but don't know about the latter. I think they only change into water if there's several levels of global warming: I once had five different global warming incidents in the one game (maybe more: it accumulates).

If the square underneath your city changes, there's no way to get it back (it does not allow you to irrigate/transform terrain in cities).

Anyway, back to the original question, you don't need power plants.
            Last edited by Meeko; July 24, 2001, 08:29.
            My warrior beat a fortified musketeer behind city walls in a city located on a mountain!!! W00t! If only the other 32 warriors had the same luck...

Comment

Originally posted by Meeko
              If the square underneath your city changes, there's no way to get it back (it does not allow you to irrigate/transform terrain in cities).
              Not in my experience. I've done lots of changes to city squares, mining grass to forest, irrigating swamp to grassland, even transforming grassland to hills.

Comment

Old version

Heh, I guess I'll have to get global warming again, but deliberately this time.

Hmm...they may have fixed it in the later versions, because I only ever got global warming in one of the earlier versions of the game (practice makes perfect: I can improve!).

So did you just irrigate/mine/transform the terrain inside your city itself?
                My warrior beat a fortified musketeer behind city walls in a city located on a mountain!!! W00t! If only the other 32 warriors had the same luck...

Comment

Isn't the only way to play on double resources in multiplayer?
                  Yes, you are correct. In multiplay, you have the option to use double resource or/and double movement. However, you can play double resource in sp mode by just loading a multiplay game, setting the options, and then just starting the game with no other players... It's a good way to practice double resource or double movement strategies when nobody else is around
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Re: Old version

So did you just irrigate/mine/transform the terrain inside your city itself?
                    Yes, I moved the settler into the city and pressed the appropriate command key. After the standard number of turns passed, the terrain under the city changed. Note that some combinations are not allowed: you can't mine hills, desert, or mountains under a city.

Comment

i have tried a few times to play 2x prod , but my game play from 1x always defeats me into building factories and offshore paltforms which then creates lots of pollution so i find myself forced to build all the anti polution ones mass move, recycleing etc, but still end up with lots of pollution , so in the end i just dedicate 10 or so engineers to just pollution clean up. would be a nice feature of civ 3 to let you assign an auto settler tpye command but be able to define just what it can do , like clear up pollution

Comment

Originally posted by solar
                        What is 2x production? I just got the game on Saturday.
                        It increases your cities production output by 2x. Mind you I only found that out myself a while ago.
                        Alex

Comment

Rasputin's pollution problem

Have you tried building Mass Transits in those cities? They clear out a lot of pollution in the larger cities...

Comment

Re: Rasputin's pollution problem

Have you tried building Mass Transits in those cities? They clear out a lot of pollution in the larger cities...
                            ummm yes i build them, i eroonousl ycalled them mass move as i forgot their name in my post above, but i find that in 2x2x the pollution just keeps building....

Comment

3 sorts of pollution,
                              Population - Mass Transit cures it
                              Industrial - Recycling plant reduces by 50%, Solar Plant by 100%
                              Radio-Active - Engineering clean-up team needed

Global warming can occur if 9 or more skulls are left untreated - like triremes sinking, there's a random factor.

I've had it once, on green & pleasant (but low shield) land, a mild dose can be useful

Comment

Working...
                              X