No announcement yet.

Crusader Scenario Succession Game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Based on my pitiful start and Rasputin's comments, I couldn't agree more, SG. While the overland route would be shorter and quicker if given free passage, the need to avoid contact with the peoples along the way is going to make that path virtually impossible to manage.

Given the goal of stopping the Turks from running amok, would producing units and donating them to the Byzantines be a course of action worth considering? It's either that or perhaps sailing around the coast.

Maybe the greatest joy of this scenario is going to be not the running commentary but, rather, the ongoing planning and surmising.

*edit*

Here's the roster posted on the top of this page.

kcbob
    Rasputin
    Marquis de Sodaq
    Scouse Gits(1)
    SG2
    Julius
    La Fayette

I took off the email address since the attaching of the zipped file seems to work just fine.
    Last edited by kcbob; July 26, 2001, 15:27.
    Frodo lives!

Comment

Okay, Rasputin, post that save game (with english corpses and all ) so I can continue the crusade! Down with the naysayers!
      The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
      intelligence to few.

Comment

sorry i though t i had attasched the gaem her eit is now
        Attached Files
        GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

and per SG comemnts, what is the pupose of making a scenario tha tis not based on history, surely all the europeans shopuld be attacking the damn scum in mid east...

Comment

and per SG comemnts, what is the pupose of making a scenario tha tis not based on history, surely all the europeans shopuld be attacking the damn scum in mid east...

looks like another game showing just how much trade ruins this gaem, it is way too big a deal, without treade you cant win, even in a war scenario like this one

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin
              without treade you cant win, even in a war scenario like this one
              Raz
              what do you think happens in the real life?
              (IMHO many armours and howitzers always win in the end against individual spirit and sacrifice; how do you buy them then? TRADE, my friend! ).
              Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

... and further we are once more hoist on the petard of MGE's 'improved' AI - this scenario was designed for FW v2.5.8 - I have no doubt that the European Powers would be more malleable under that game engine.

Anyway I am sure that King Richard would have agreed that the best possible way of curbing Turkish aggression would have been to sack Paris! Sorry LaFayette
                "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

sack Paris

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                  Anyway I am sure that King Richard would have agreed that the best possible way of curbing Turkish aggression would have been to sack Paris! Sorry LaFayette
                  No need to be sorry, sir!
                  I have lived 25 years of my life hard at work in that enlightened city. That is more than enough for my pleasure. I have no plan at all to move away from the region of Toulouse and Albi (the so called 'Midi Pyrénées').
                  Please SG, sack Paris if you feel like it!
                  (I am quite sure the archbishop will bless you if this is meant to hit the infidels)

(La Fayette, watching the movie named 'Paris brûle-t-il?'; I don't know the american title)
                  Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Because the save game was not yet posted, I took the liberty of playing the scenario from the beginning. I played for about 40 turns, and have some strategy ideas. Don't accept them as writ, feel free to do whatever the demons tell you to do. I'll play my real turn soon!

1. Most objectives are in the south, we ought to use our conversion (bribery) funds to soak up barbarian cities there, instead of the far north. After converting Scotland and Ireland first, of course. Those 5 cities cost about 1200 gold.

2. Many cities in the south are not visible at the start. The island cities (read: easy to defend once captured, safe havens, production base) are a cinch to sack. Cagliari, Polermo and Cyprus can be secured with a small force. Alas, the young, dashing knights who left port were wrinkled and gray by the time they disembarked. Ships really should be faster in this game.

3. Al-Andalus has many valuable techs to trade. They have superior units that we, too, should be using.

4. The Holy GermanRomans appear to be the real tough guys, but their northern cities are unwalled at the beginning. If we make any plunge into the continent, these should be the targets. Particularly after getting those fancy andalusian military ideas. (wink, nudge)

5. Trade with the continent will be an important source of income. Once we have caravels, take a merchant along with each invasion force.

6. The pikeman bonus is basically worthless, as most mounted units have 2hp.

As far as trade being important, It doesn't seem too unrealistic. What is unrealistic is the crusaders crusading against each other, not against the Seljuq turks. There should maybe have been some diplomatic checks done when the scenario was made. O well, the game is afoot! Put aside your concerns, there are godless heathens to kill! (I'll try to play my turn tonight)

intelligence to few.

Comment

the crusade continues...

In the year of our lord 1114, the Archbishop of Sodaq is assigned leadership of the crusade against the infidel. In order to continue building our forces, we must improve the land in our holy England. New production orders are given to the realm.

1117 - We meet some bright fellows from Andalusia. Altho they are heathen scum and rather dark to boot, we trade knowledge with them. They teach us Navigation, Siege Engineering, Camel Riding, and Craftmanship. Now we can build really cool war machines. The Byzantines, despite owning no camels, are keen to trade us Invention for Camel Riding. For a reasonable fee of a mere 200 gold, we teach them Navigation.

1118 - Taxmen shake down scottish coal merchants for 22 gold.

1119 - Fatimids kick the frogs out of Jerusalem! Leave it to the French to offer a fine resistance! Perhaps we need to capture the holy city ourselves... On a good note, the French capture Valencia.

1121 - Copper merchants return from Lisbon with 88 gold. We make peace with the Holy Geroman Empire and a cease-fire with the frogs.

1122 - An Irish city of old
                      called Limerick I am told
                      was converted early this May
                      as the pubs closed for the day
                      for two hundred seventy five gold.

1124 - Spice merchants return from Paris with 138 gold, gold merchants from Rheims with 90 gold, and copper merchants from Cordoba with a fat 284 gold! Gold! Gold, I tell you! Gold! Ahem, we are saintly, not materialistic here.

The Archbishop of Sodaq has ordered the cog and knights exploring the mediterranean to go sack that seething pit of sin, Cagliari. It could be a good base from which to start crusading.
                      Attached Files

intelligence to few.

Comment

Sorry been off-line for a couple of days - posting now from SG2's - the builders have finally got to my final redoubt and my machine has been moved to the new 'study' or it will be when I get
                        1. some furniture
                        2. some power/light
                        3. a phone line or two
                        4. my ISDN connection
                        until then my posting and general e-comms will be somewhat shaky ....

Comment

Crusader Succession Log

After long discussions the Synod of Liverpool decided to recall the Anchorite GitI from his Scriptorium and place him in charge of the Church Militant for a ten year term ...
                          1124 - adjust tax rate to 7.2.1 - rioting quelled
                          1125 - Dublin converted
                          1126 - Gold London - Koln - 192g - funds the expansion of London's Financial District
                          1127 -
                          1128 - The doomed assault on Cagliari simply confirmed that green troops cannot take City Walls ...
                          1129 - Gems - York - Brugge - 132g
                          1130 - Silver - Cardiff - rouen - 95g
                          1131 - Gems - Oxford Rennes - 54g; Gems - Leicester - Rheims - 144g; Waterford converted
                          1132 - Silk - Liverpool - Rennes - 84g
                          1133 -
                          1134 - Task fulfilled the Anchorite GitI returns to his Scriptorium ...
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                            1128 - The doomed assault on Cagliari simply confirmed that green troops cannot take City Walls ...
                            Hmmm... They must have built those right before you got there. O well, there will be more chances later.

intelligence to few.

Comment

I downloaded the 1134 save and began examining the Empire. Leicester has an interesting garrison:

a) Warrior
                              b) Archer
                              c) Stealth Fighter

---------------------

SG(2)

Comment

Woops, my alter ego - you have neglected to put the save game in the same directory as the d/led scenario!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X