Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried this patch?

Hello all,

I've been an avid player of Civ2 a long time ago, but stopped playing because the game got 'old' for me .

One of the main 'gripes' I had with the engine was that once you grew larger the true sense of achievement faded. Mainly the limits on number of cities, population and funds made it silly to keep playing for an extended period. Of course, by the time I reached 320.000.000 ppl the challenge had left already - but I'm one of those buggers who just like to grow (indefinately).. heh.

Today I was browsing the Apol.site and came across a novel patch that removes just these limits.
    I'm talking about the so called "No-limits Add-on (ToT)" by Julius Brenzaida.

Has anyone else tried this modified .exe? If so, does it really work?
    Are there quirks or bugs that are needed to know?

Please tell me.. I'm anxious to take a break from Quake3 and Diablo 2 , and I'd like to polish up my Civ skills (ahum).

Thanks alot all!

Mr. Smiley

Go for it Smiley - I use it all the time - for me the big advantage is the ability to make and use Giga maps - I don't go for high scores - not my thing - the only downside I'm aware of is that the scenario editor seems to be disabled - but I don't use that either so its all positive for me ...

------------------
    Scouse Git[1] -- git1@scousers.net

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
    "The Great Library has been built!"
    "A short cut has to be challenging,
    were it not so it would be 'the way'."
    - Paul Craven
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Can anyone post a link to this patch?

Comment

The missing link

For some reason I can't seem to cut and paste this, so I fear you will have to rely upon my typing - try

Good civin'
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Yep, I'm using it. It's a nice patch. I like using the gigamaps in the Scifi game Only complaint is, the 255-city limit is still in place... Julius said he was going to fix that (or at least try).

Other than that complaint, I like the patch. As I recall, he also made a similar patch for MGE (I'm using that patch, also)...
          oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

Thank you, Scouse Gits!

I'm not sure what to do with it. What is a 'zip' file? Can anybody tell me?

Comment

Zip!

A "zip" file is a file that has been compressed using the Winzip software. "Zipping" a file makes it much easier to send via internet because it will take much less time to upload and then to download. Folks with older modems really value this kind of thing; it makes a big difference for them. With newer, faster hardware, the differences are much less profound. You can get a Winzip program online; it costs about 25 bucks, but if you think you'll like scenarios, it is money infinitely well-spent. You will use it a lot. The Winzip not only compresses files, but decompresses them as well. You will need it to use most scenarios, as they are almost always in a zip-file when available for download.

Hope this helps,
              Exile
              Lost in America.
              "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
              "or a very good liar." --Stefu
              "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

I just downloaded it--I'll probably try it out in a day or so...

My largest complaint about civ always has been, "The world just ain't big enough!"

No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Thank you, Exile

I found a site that allows a demonstration version to be downloaded for free. Now I can try this patch. I haven't tried any scenarios. Do you know any that are interesting? I like ancient history a lot.

Comment

Glad to help

Mary-Ann,
                    If you think you will like ancient period scenarios, try Kull's (Paul Cullivan) Ancient Empires scenario. There are plenty of others out there, but Kull's "Empire" is without peer. Completely reworked tech tree, all new units, excellent map, and great new events. You can locate a copy either on his site or at the Scenario League, which you can access from this very site we're on now.

Salutations,
                    Exile
                    Lost in America.
                    "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
                    "or a very good liar." --Stefu
                    "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

Zip/unzip programs

You don't need to pay for an unzipping program. Winzip is great, but it's a commercial program, hence the $25 price tag. Using a search engine, look for "zip", "unzip", "compression programs", or something like that. I once found a great program called EasyZip that works just like WinZip, but it's free. I'm not sure if it's still around. Search for EasyZip and check it out. In any case, there are a number of freeware programs that will meet your need. You may want to start with ZDNet's download section.

Comment

Working...
                      X