Super Deity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Deity?

Once when I browsing the old threads I stumbled across to some screenshots where the screen was full of those red barbs. Someone had tweaked the program (?) to make 'raging hordes'-setting even worse.

I was thinking if it would be possible to do the same to the difficulty setting as well. 'Super deity' would mean that the first citizen is a red one , and those AI food/production boxes would be even smaller. At king level AI's boxes are same as human, in emperor they are 2 colums narrower and in deity 4 colums. I presume they would be bigger in easier level though I haven't tested.

My assumption is that all this would be dependent of one single variable from which the program derives all the effects I described.

If the 'Super deity' would be possible to implement it would give us deity-winners a new challenge! Wouldn't that be great?

its an easy change to do.In rules.txt you change "7- City size for first unhappiness at Chieftain level" to 6.It doesn't work very well though as it effects the ai even more than the human.

Elvi' like in an exceeded the riot factor ics game.Its slower to get going.Gardens becomes really,really strong.Too strong
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Um, Sorry for asking the obvious, but if your first citizen is red, how do you build anything at all? I don't think turning your only citizen to an elvis would do it. Or would it?
      I guess you would have to knock over huts until you get a military unit before building your first city.

I remember talk about doing this with the first civ, when people talked about a difficulty level 3 harder than emperor. there was this bug at that level which allowed AI civs to grow without limit. the guy telling the story says he bought a city from the chinese with a population over 100. Starvation followed of course....

Back to the topic, Civ1 had the difficulty level as a digit in the savegame file. It only went 1-6, so you could put a 7, 8, or 9 without difficulty. I don't know how civ2 does it.
      Maybe Julius brendaiza knows?
      Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
      ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Smash, thanks for your hint. But as you stated changing riot factor in 'rules.txt' affects the AI as well.. and that's bad. It would only help the human player who surely will rush for HG leaving the AI in trouble with unhappiness.

What would really make deity even harder 'super deity' would be shrinking those AI's food & production boxed letting them grow / build stuff much quicker. I'm still hoping that someone familiar with tampering the program code would find a way.. (Julius where are you?)

Comment

It would help if all the AI civs started with two settlers. If you open up the game with the Cheat Menu at 4000BC you will see some only begin with one!
          --------
          SG(2)
          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

actually giving the ai about 5 settlers would be better...... damm ai uses the second one to irrigate amongst other useless things..... it can't even coordinate roads and irrigation together unless by mistake...

Save as a scenario each civ gets 5 settlers..... you get one! i am not sure if that would be enough though..... as you would likely get tribes and nomads from your early huts
            Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

I think you can "add difficulty levels" by adding lines with Names like "deity +1", "deity +2" (or what else you want) etc. in the respective part of game.txt... (the discovery of "Barbarian wrath" was likewise)
              If so, then you can select this new levels on startup. However, It can't tell you whether it makes sense to play on those levels, because the game seems to have problems when dealing with those black "double unhappy" people...
              Civilization Webring Forum

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by SCDARS on 04-24-2001 06:30 PM
                (the discovery of "Barbarian wrath" was likewise)

Pray tell us more ...

------------------
                Scouse Git[1] -- git1@scousers.net

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
                "The Great Library must be built!"
                "A short cut has to be challenging,
                were it not so it would be 'the way'."
                - Paul Craven

Comment

Must try that Deity +1 trick. Maybe adding those five settlers to each of AI as well.

My point is: even deity is ridiculously too easy if Samson can win the game with ONE city size ONE - and still lands on AC at 1890AD!!!!!!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Father Beast on 04-09-2001 12:34 PM
                    Um, Sorry for asking the obvious, but if your first citizen is red, how do you build anything at all? I don't think turning your only citizen to an elvis would do it. Or would it?

When you get up in cities in ICS, this happens all the time in a new city. Even if you change your citizen to an Elvis, you still get the shield production from the city itself. One shield, 10 turns, a warrior is born and voila... peace and tranquility.

------------------
                    Frodo lives!
                    Frodo lives!

Comment

Well what do you know !

I have made the following changes (marked in red) to the Game.txt file ...
                      quote:

Quoted from the "game.txt" file
                      @DIFFICULTY
                      @width=320
                      @title=Select Difficulty Level
                      @options
                      Chieftain (easiest)
                      Warlord
                      Prince
                      King
                      Emperor
                      Deity (toughest)
                      God Awful

@BARBARITY
                      @width=320
                      @title=Select Level Of Barbarian Activity
                      @button=Random
                      @default=2
                      @options
                      Villages Only
                      Roving Bands
                      Restless Tribes
                      Raging Hordes
                      Barbarian Wrath
                      using WordPad ...
                      and lo and behold the options came up when I opened a new game -- having selected both, I am unable to say whether or not the Barbarian Wrath had any effect, but Carthage a size 1 city (the size 1 city) went into unrest with a red face on the third turn!

------------------
                      Scouse Git[1] -- git1@scousers.net

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
                      "The Great Library must be built!"
                      "A short cut has to be challenging,
                      were it not so it would be 'the way'."
                      - Paul Craven

Comment

Can that really work ??? And can it be so simple ?
                        Another amazing (re)discovery.

More testing required but this game hasn't stopped surprising us yet.

Marko Polo I would like to see someone realize the OCC size 1 challenge at deity in a random gigampap with MGE. Tougher to get tribute and very tough to trade with other civs.

And with this new level ...

------------------
                        Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
                        Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

No puns intended but good Lord, what hath God wrought?!?!

Now the challenge would appear to be "How high a setting can you beat?"
                          Naming the levels might be interesting, too.

Deity
                          God Awful
                          S&M
                          Insane
                          Lost Cause

Raging Hordes
                          Barbarian Wrath
                          Sands of the Sea

Well, I guess I'll have to try this, too. Not that I was all that good at Deity.

------------------
                          Frodo lives!
                          Frodo lives!

Comment

Incredible discovery, SG[1]! Thanks for testing. When I have the time, I simply must have a go with "God awful" and "Barbarian wrath". Btw, did you check how small were the AI production / food boxes (using cheat mode)? Can't wait to find that out!

Comment

Instead of "God Awful", shouldn't that be "God Hates You"?

I don't play much on deity, but I'm going to try that barbarian thing and see if it makes any difference.

BTW, what do these settings do to your score?
                              Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                              ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Working...
                              X