No announcement yet.

POLL: MGE vs TOT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why would you vote for mge? tot has all mge has and more, better graphics etc

Comment

What is MGE?
      What is TOT?

Comment

erm ok TOT then

Comment

MGE - TOT just alienated me straight away. It was slower, darker graphics (uglier), no wonder movies (although apparently you can get around that), and was generally just weird. I went back to Civ2 MGE very quickly. Oh, and you need the CD in the drive for it, which pisses me off after Civ2 and SMAC. (I also own the Australian version of Multiplayer Civ2, which is a half-arsed MGE, without the extra scenarios. This really pisses me off. They didn't release MGE here.

Since I've bought Civ2 2.42, Civ2 Multiplayer, and TOT (and SMAC, and CTP), I figure someone up there owes me. So I downloaded MGE from a warez site and coped my wonder movies onto the hard disk, and it works fine.

(and that's my rant.)

Comment

MGE all the way.
            ToT - you must be joking!!

Comment

I think that it depends upon how much you've played Civ2 prior to seeing ToT. I'm new to Civ2, and I now have both MGE and ToT. Neither game has great graphics, but that's not what this franchise is about, is it? But, even though I agree that the ToT graphics are a bit dark, they do look a little better. And, the animations add a little to the enjoyment of the game. The city screen is cleaner (again, for those of us who weren't already used to the Civ2 city screen), and I think that's a plus. The only other things missing are the advisors (not a big deal), and the wonder movies (which I still get by putting my MGE CD in while playing ToT). The basic gameplay is the same--after all, they are the same game. So, overall, I much prefer to play ToT. But, it's still good to have MGE to be able to play all the scenarios available on the net.

Comment

What the f**k?

WONDER MOVIES?

Am I the only one that turned off the damn things even before I saw all of them? I cannot see how that would make the slightest bit of difference. Also, CivI graphics don't even bug me, I don't see how that aspect matters one bit unless it is a 3d game. I will not vote though because I have never played TOT.

Comment

Even though MGE is far easier to use (and doesn't have those annoying unit animations), the graphics are much cleaner and easier to play with, and there are actually scenario tools for the more repetitive tasks, ToT gave me two things which are absolutely essential for scenarios (which I have lately been using more than playing the actual game): events flags and multiple maps. So there.

I also hate Wonder movies! What is the big deal with Wonder movies!?
                  [This message has been edited by Mr. Oobir (edited May 06, 2001).]
                  "The self is a relation that relates itself to itself, or is the relation's relating itself to itself in the relation; the self is not the relation but is the relation relating itself to itself." -Kierkegaard, at one of his less lucid moments

Tremolando shows rage! Sforzando shows excitement! C Minor means gravity!–D Minor means terror!...Round and round like donkeys at a grindstone! -Amadeus

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Oobir on 05-06-2001 03:34 PM
                    Even though MGE is far easier to use... What is the big deal with Wonder movies!?
                    [This message has been edited by Mr. Oobir (edited May 06, 2001).]

How is MGE far easier? Gameplay between the two is the same. Are you referring to MGE being easier because you think it's easier to see? Other than that, I can't see how a differentiation like that can be made. And because of that, it just comes down to which games' appearance each of us like.

On the Wonder Movies, that seems to me to be a weak reason to go for one game over the other.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by rwprice on 05-07-2001 12:15 AM
                      How is MGE far easier? Gameplay between the two is the same. Are you referring to MGE being easier because you think it's easier to see? Other than that, I can't see how a differentiation like that can be made. And because of that, it just comes down to which games' appearance each of us like.

On the Wonder Movies, that seems to me to be a weak reason to go for one game over the other.

I don't know what I was thinking with the "easier to use" statement, though it must've had some relevance in my mind when typing my post.

With the Wonders thing, I was merely agreeing with the previous post. That wasn't meant to be taken as a reason for supporting Test of Time.
                      "The self is a relation that relates itself to itself, or is the relation's relating itself to itself in the relation; the self is not the relation but is the relation relating itself to itself." -Kierkegaard, at one of his less lucid moments

Tremolando shows rage! Sforzando shows excitement! C Minor means gravity!–D Minor means terror!...Round and round like donkeys at a grindstone! -Amadeus

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Oobir on 05-08-2001 07:52 PM
                        I don't know what I was thinking with the "easier to use" statement, though it must've had some relevance in my mind when typing my post.

With the Wonders thing, I was merely agreeing with the previous post. That wasn't meant to be taken as a reason for supporting Test of Time.

Also to clarify, my mention of the Wonder movies was more for the many notes I've seen besides yours. Over and over people mention the lack of wonder movies as the reason not get ToT. That may have been worth something when you were faced with paying $40, but not now when you can pick it up for $10! Besides, how many times can a person watch them?

Comment

TOT outclasses MTG and Orignal Civ2 in every aspect. The TOT Ai is competitive and 3 times better than the Civ2 one. The graphcis are better and the units are better.

But I see that we may need a recount for this poll ..... it is a very very close one
                          [This message has been edited by Saddam (edited May 14, 2001).]

Comment

ToT

Comment

Civ2: MGE vs TOT
                              OptionVotes / Percentage
                              MGE 47 / 51%
                              TOT 44 / 48%
                              Total Votes: 91
                              View Comments | Forums Discussion

Comment

Working...
                              X