Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are sneak attacks related to reputation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are sneak attacks related to reputation?

Being a "corporate Whore (see column #162)" in my sp games, I like to build the UN, and slowly take over the world while they can't declare war on me. in my last game, I played into the 2800's before my hard drive bit it, and so I had to start over.

Of course, you have the problem with the AI sneak attacking, or do you. I have been annoying these guys for the last 100 years (before that I was an OCC), and they've combined in united alliance to slow my expansion, but nobody has sneak attacked. My reputation is spotless. does that have something to do with it?

I remember in the last Forever War, nobody sneak attacked me until the 2400's when my rep had suffered because of my paying the americans to attack the japanese got found out. I had to deal with periodic sneak attacks after that.
    Then after I did some nasty things and chased the american capitol all over the place, my reputation was atrocious, and I hardly had a year go by without a sneak attack.

I wonder, does it really make a difference?
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

yeah, if you have a bad reputation they don't make peace with you any mor and sneak you right in the cease fire... buggers!

that's why I always try and keep a good rep...

Comment

While I have not done any indepth research on the topic, for about the first couple of hundred games I played, I used to pride myself on having a spotless reputation. And AI's would use sneak attacks on me ALL THE TIME!

So if it is indeed a factor, there must be a bug in my copy of the software
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

If you don't wish to be at war with them, then give them stuff. Then they like you more and don't try and attack you. If you want to be at war with them, but like to take breathers every so often, don't accept cease fires until you are finished harrasing them for the turn (it helps a lot if you take some of their cities, they hate that, but eventually they see that you are crushing them under your toe and sue for peace).

But I never have problems like this. I generally do the 1-2 turn crunch with a ton of howi's, so they never get the chance to retaliate anyway. And if they do, I just file->load game... and put myself into a position where they don't .
        I don't have much to say 'cause I won't be here long.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ming on 04-27-2001 02:52 PM
          While I have not done any indepth research on the topic, for about the first couple of hundred games I played, I used to pride myself on having a spotless reputation. And AI's would use sneak attacks on me ALL THE TIME!

So if it is indeed a factor, there must be a bug in my copy of the software

Hmmnnn... maybe it has to do with the version. I've heard that MGE has a really nasty AI. I'm playing with the FW version, which is what, 2.78?

also, maybe it's that I also have the UN. don't know.

I'm not worried about them sneak attacking. I'm ready. I just was wondering if this really was the case.

I'm also playing on prince difficulty....
          Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
          ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Working...
          X