No announcement yet.

What aspect of civ do you dislike most?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What aspect of civ do you dislike most?

Just wondering what bugs us. My vote: a civ being able to steal and use techs regardless of its place on the tech tree. Nothing makes me froth at the mouth like finding myself in a space race with a civ that is attacking me with elephants and legions. It's never much of a race, granted, but the whole thing just irks me. What irks you?

------------------
    Dig trenches, with our men being killed off like flies? There isn't time to dig trenches. We'll have to buy them ready made. Here, run out and get some trenches.
    -- Rufus T. Firefly, the original rush-builder
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

The end-game, when I have 100 plus cities and have to micro-manage all those units. I hate giving the AI control of my cities. Also all the wonders have been built and my throne room is complete, so there is nothing new to look forward to till AC. The game just drags on till the SS lands.

------------------
    All knowledge begins with the phrase: I don't know.
    I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
    i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Some aspects of the Space Race.
      ~ Even if you discover space flight first, it immediately get stolen from you.
      ~ The other tribes start rush building the space ship and you have to close down all of those dialog boxes.
      ~ It's tedious to plan the spaceship production.

Fortunately, there is the bloodlust option.

------------------
      "There is no tiddle-taddle nor pibble-pabble in Pompey's camp."
      "Cease fire! Please! Cease fire. What a dreadful waste of ammunition!" -- General Horatio Herbert Kitchener
      --

Comment

Trade. The interface is a nightmare, with all kinds of clicking to different windows to determine the information you need. To trade efficiently, you need to keep track of commodities supplied, demanded, and enroute to all cities. Isn't the computer supposed to do all this bookkeeping for you?

Comment

I really dislike the way the AI can build half a spaceship worth of structurals two seconds after discovering Space Flight!!!
          I wish I could do that!

Comment

I agree with DaveV that trading those commodities is the most tedious and frustrating thing to do. Especially when the demands (and supplies of course) get changing all the time. Quite typically this happens just before your caravan ship reaches that far away foreign city. Pisses me off!

Comment

I think I'm miffed, mostly, by them there spies that swoop in from the cold dark nowhere, to pinch my latest
              advance without giving me a chance to eject them.
              I avoid all the above beefs about caravans by using them exlusively for Wonders, explorers,food supplies to an ailing city, defenders (they're bonny fighters, more than once observed them "decorated for valour" after seenig off some heavy duty military unit which attacked them)Anything, except for tedious trading.
              Lately, in my games, the AI seems to be trying to make up for my lack of trading, by sending me their caravans, thus rewarding my own apathy!
              It follows, in response to Rufus's other question, that caravans/freights, along with settlers/engineers and paratroops are my Civ2 favourites

Comment

It is extremely cheap to bribe foreign cities and the price is not even affected by the number of units inside!

This way, it is possible to win a conquest game without having any army to speak of.
                Rome rules

Comment

Having a ship go half the world to deliver uranium to the only city that demands it and watch it change to copper one turn before my ship gets there.

The democracy blatant cheats. The ability of enemy democracies to act like they have a terrorist for president and the people don't care.

The choice of keeping just for the sake of it, or go ahead and demolish a city that my explorer gets from a hut in a far away empty continent.

Comment

I hate when the computer cheats during a game.
                    It bribes w/o diplo units, it makes sneak attacks
                    w/o worries about the "international community"
                    (i.e. Always Spotless, I guess...) Grrrr

In my last game, as the French, I was with a Carrier with eight bombers stacked with a Battleship, near the cost of the Americans. At recent Cease-Fire, I decided to retreat two or three squares away them, to cool the things...

As I was with UN, at the moment I passed the turn, a window popped up to tell me that they have discovered Rocketry. Immediately, a barrage of three American Cruise Missiles almost took out my entire stack!!! Thanks for the Battleship, my Carrier survived.
                    What´s that? When I discover anything, even if I change my production and buy the new whatever, I have to *wait* until the next turn! GRRRRRR

This things make me remember of Master of Orion, but this is for some other forum...

:::::::::::::
                    Craftsman

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Roman on 02-23-2001 01:10 PM
                      It is extremely cheap to bribe foreign cities and the price is not even affected by the number of units inside!

This way, it is possible to win a conquest game without having any army to speak of.

If only I had your luck, Roman. Very rarely — especially in the later stages of the game — can I ever get a city for less than 8000 gold. A well-built and distant city can run up to 25,000 gold to bribe. Mind you, these are cities that typically belong to either the first place AI player and/or the second/third place AI players. Smaller and/or weaker civs can be cheaper to bribe, but not always.

BTW, number of units *do* affect the cost of bribing. After taking out half the defenders, I often find a city at least a quarter cheaper than before (i.e. 8000 to 6000).

Regarding my own dislike of Civ II, it would be the fact that the AI can steal your most advanced techs (even w/veteran spies defending!) and then race you for AC or world dominance. That's crap. It's ludicrous that a medieval society can suddenly steal spaceflight and then take off for the stars 30 years later, IMHO.

CYBERAmazon
                      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Yes, another thing that bugs me...
                        When a spy or diplo of other civ successfull steals a tech of mine, it´s always the higher tech!

When *I* try to steal Mobile Warfare from them, my veteran spy is vaporyzed. Or steals Refrigeration instead (oh, no!)... GRRRRRR

Note: the foreign spies/diplos are *always* succesfull in their operations (at least against my civ).
                        Craftsman

Comment

Agree with DaveV. The trade window is WAY too difficult. We ought to be able to print a trade list of all available routes and supplies. AI spies annoy me, but the Trade issue is a pain in EVERY game!

Hope someone mentioned this in the Civ3 suggestion forum!

------------------
                          Be what you is and not what you is not. Folks who do that are the happiest lot!
                          - Mr. Wizard the Lizard,
                          "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

The only aspect I can find that is a damper on Civ II is the fact that the pictures of the leaders can not be altered-i.e. I have a scenarios set during the post Roman era of Britain, got the Celts for the Picts, got the Vikings for the Gallo-Romans, Got the Americans for the British allied tribes, got the Babylonians for the Scots, got the English for the Saxons, got the Spanish for the Agnles/Jutes-1 left that plays the role of the Irish and I have the options of using either Indians, Mongols or Sioux so I go for Sioux to represent the Tribal-pastoral lifestyle of the Irish but if I could have another Celtic picture to represent the Irish as well that would be nice as well as the British allies and Scots...
                            Maybe Civ III may allow this to happen...
                            Though all in all Civ is a really good game and I have played other 'historical' game programs and I think Civ beats them for offering an opportunity to step into the role of Historical figures and see why things went the way they did in History through designing scenarios...giving yourself an History education that you would only get at University level.
                            So I have really nothing to moan about as far as Civ goes.
                            Sorry.

"I'm not quite dead yet Sire" Concord the horse to Sir Lancelot-Monty Python and the Holy Grail

------------------
                            MRP
                            MRP

Comment

you mean BESIDES roman already mentioned bribing cities?...

It would be the Apollo Program and manhattan Project, which instantly give all civs the benefits of a wonder they didn't contribute a caravan to.

how many times have I finished Apollo, to find the next civ over building about 15 spaceship parts the next turn? Grrrr...
                              Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                              ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Working...
                              X