if that doesn't load try this: http://www.geocities.com/sifl1690466/1.gif

[This message has been edited by master on high (edited March 17, 2001).]
    Administrator at
    www.quantum9.com
    Visit the forums!
    www.quantum9.com/forums

The link says the page is unavailable.

------------------
    All knowledge begins with the phrase: I don't know.
    I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
    i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

cpoulos: type in yourself the url address in the browser's address box.

Master: Amazing! I dunno what to say! I had heard comments about this a long time ago but never experienced it myself.

Comment

The image is not coming thru regardless of how I try.Dump Geocities.Their new policys bite.

ok after about 20 reloads it finally came thru.What am I looking at?The proximtiy?Must be the 0 meridian.
        [This message has been edited by Smash (edited March 17, 2001).]
        The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

OK, I'm looking at kaupang and york, 2 squares from each other, but on the diagonal, so they're not actually in each other's radius.

at second flush, I would be VERY interested in knowing how Rome (the roman capital) ended up BETWEEN memphis and thebes (the egyptian 1st and 2nd cities.

not only that, but trondheim and bombay are in shouting distance, too. admittedly, it seems trondheim is now egyptian, but it may have been conquered.

to have 4 world caitals in this small of a space is absurd. is this on a very small map or something?
          Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
          ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

right...geocities sucks...but...well...I've never had a problem with it before...

So to start off with...I've been away from this site for awhile, but I sort of caught a civ bug and decided to fire up the old small world map (it's fun cos it's the world and it's tough cos you've got no room to start with) and I was checking up on the AIs progress when I found that Kaupang and York had magically ben built ADJACENT to each other (note the railroad). This isn't allowed by the game, and can't even be done through hex editing (so far as I know).

The entire game is very odd and I've saved it at the point where I found out what happened to the two cities (It's NOT some lame attempt to fool people with the graphics).

BTW, I was using MGE, with the latest patch on it, and no mods.

EDIT - Uploaded to angelfire...this shouldn't take so long...
            http://www.angelfire.com/ca7/sifl1690466/1.gif
            [This message has been edited by master on high (edited March 17, 2001).]
            Administrator at
            www.quantum9.com
            Visit the forums!
            www.quantum9.com/forums

Comment

I see it now. That is really odd.

------------------
              All knowledge begins with the phrase: I don't know.
              I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
              i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by cpoulos on 03-17-2001 10:43 PM
                I see it now. That is really odd.

Yeah, that is really odd...

Do you have save file?

I would like to see if those cities lie across the "0" meridian...

-Bob

Semper ubi sub ubi!

Comment

For what it's worth, this has happened to me -- ToT, large map, probably King level. While at war with the French, they built a city within the radius of one of my cities. Because I wasn't moving any units in or out of that particular city, I didn't even notice it until I went into city view to change build orders. I wasn't on the 0 axis, either.

------------------
                  Dig trenches, with our men being killed off like flies? There isn't time to dig trenches. We'll have to buy them ready made. Here, run out and get some trenches.
                  -- Rufus T. Firefly, the original rush-builder
                  "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

MoH:

Your map size plays a role in the crowding of cities, IMHO. From what I can see, it looks like you're on a small Earth map. That would account for the multiple city-radi violations I see. The AI has a problem recognizing when cities are too close, particularly on non-Large Earth maps and *any* time a civilization colonizes another landmass with a civilizaton already native to the land. It's also a nightmare when you have a bunch of one to three-tile islands in close proximity to each other.

It's one aspect of Civilization that drives me nuts. I usually torpedo any AI city (or my own, if I didn't realize it) that encroaches to such extremes as shown on your map. Go into the cheat menu, shrink the offending city to size one, destroy its defenders, insert a barbarian and then blast it apart. No reputation loss, the city is eradicated and the final touch (for me) is turning the square into a desert, mountain or glacier square to prevent such idiocy in the future.

CYBERAmazon
                    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Omigosh, You're right! they really are adjacent to each other. I usually play with the grid on to be able so see such things easier.

which one is you? and if they are both AI civs, do they get along?

Imagine being able to fire howitzers against an enemy city from within your own city walls....

maybe you could send a spy over to change the city names to Dallas and Ft. Worth
                      Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                      ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

I find it interesting to make a game where it's possible to be killed within secodns. It can get very difficult.

But anyway...I stuck the save up here...go to the page and click on the link.
                        http://www.angelfire.com/ca7/sifl1690466/Odd.html

And it's really not a glitch. I cheated a bit and took turns taking over the cities...very odd.

It'd be interesting if somebody oculd check out the hex file and see if this could be used for scenarios.
                        Administrator at
                        www.quantum9.com
                        Visit the forums!
                        www.quantum9.com/forums

Comment

Hmmm...its not the 0 meridian.Its a small,flat real world map.The 0 meridian is on the edge.

NO civ has Railroad.

one of life's little mysteries
                          The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Working...
                          X