Son of SMEDSNET

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Son of SMEDSNET

After attempting to install the civ242 version update, I receive the "cannot find SMEDSNET.DLL" message. I ran a file search and lo and behold the dll.file is present in my civ folder. So....what gives?

I really need this file! I can't run any of the Wonder/Diplomacy animations without this version update. Any information/assistance would be MOST appreciated.

Cordially,
    The Severed Head

Right click your shortcut to civ2.exe - open 'properties' and confirm that the 'start in' directory is infact your civ2 directory - this sounds like the problem ...

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
    "The Great Library must be built!"
    "A short cut has to be challenging,
    were it not so it would be 'the way'."
    - Paul Craven
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Thank you, Scouse Gits, for the reply. That did indeed do the trick. Unfortunately, however, the patch did not fix the problem with the lack of animated heralds/wonders. Hmm.
      I wonder if it's a hardware problem. I'm using a Kenwood 72X CD-ROM. Perhaps the oddities of the Zen Reading Architecture is throwing the old Civ. program for a loop. Everytime I start the game, a window pops up informing me that it "Cannot find the game disc." After I hit OK, though, the game runs smoothly.
      Except no animations.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Respectfuly,
      The Head

Comment

A quick P.S. - I DO have the options inabled, in case you're wondering.

Comment

All is explained - if you say OK to the cannot find question - it assumes that you are choosing to play without the CD - and does not try to run the animations - with a 72x CD it might be best to let it take its time to spin upto speed then hit the 'Retry' button instead - alternatively if you are OK for HDD space you migh cut a Virtual CD and run from that as I do (Software available here

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
          "The Great Library must be built!"
          "A short cut has to be challenging,
          were it not so it would be 'the way'."
          - Paul Craven
          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I tried your suggestions, but neither has produced any results. Even with the virtual CD-ROM software, I STILL got the old "Cannot find CD" message! Apparently the problem is unique to my system alone, a rather frustrating and persistant glitch indeed! If I come up with an answer I will post it (for the sake of any other would-be sufferers out there.)

Again, thanks for the help. If anyone can think of any possible solutions, feel free to share them.

Sincerely,
            The Severed Head

Comment

Post Script - I was able to activate the animations by transfering the Videos and Kings files from the disc to the civ2 file on my HDD (Hurrahs and Applauds.) Still curious as to why the game refuses to read said files from the disc, but at least I'm now able to play the game in its full and wonderous grandeur.

Many thanks,
              The Head

Comment

Severed Head (sorta love/hate that monicker by the way).

Do you get active heralds doing this? My heralds have been frozen for years - there is an explanation for that on these boards but it is incomprehensible to the technologically challenged such as me and anyway doesn't really lead to a solution.

But I am wondering if I put the heralds file onto my hard disk whether that might unfreeze them?

Comment

Working...
                X