Copernicus bug? REDUCED my science!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copernicus bug? REDUCED my science!

I'm playing Civ II Multiplayer Gold. I have an ordinary game (not a scenario) at King level. Before I finished Copernicus (about 700 AD) my science was at 15 turns. After completing I found it at 20 turns!! WTF? Is this a known bug?

Check your beaker production before and after changing all workers into Elves (plural of Elvis ) to see if it works.

Did you perhaps change your science percentage?
    Lose a trade route, or even a city?

------------------
    If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
    A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
    Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

Did your perhaps trade for several tech with the AI in between looking at the science advisor, thus increasing the cost per tech?
      [This message has been edited by Lefty Scaevola (edited February 22, 2001).]
      Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
      Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
      "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
      From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Thanks, people!

No, still making new cities, fairly early in the game. No lost cities or routes.

Lefty: I did trade an advance with the Persians, my nearest neighbors, during the last part of the building process. I'm not sure what you mean by "an A in the middle" though.

Comment

Don't forget Copernicus works cumulatively with Libraries and Universities. Its effect is calculated after the effects of the city's "learning" improvements.

What form of government do you have?

------------------
          Founder, ACS Pedantry Institute
          Founder, ACS Gourmet Recipe Exchange
          Troll & Hydey Wrangler
          Mono Rules!
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

I'm in Monarchy. Republic is the only other one avail and I'm exploring and expanding. I may have boobooed on where I placed this--it was a tossup where to put the science city.

Comment

Well, by 700AD, you're going to have a heap of techs, and research under Monarchy is going to be so slow that Copernicus won't help you. If you've got happiness provisions in place, get into Republic. Your turns for techs should drop accordingly.

------------------
              Troll & Hydey Wrangler
              Mono Rules!
              " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
              "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Thanks, Finbar. I didn't know that about Monarchy. I did briefly try Republic, (actually never tried it before!) but I was NOT prepared with happiness things and it was a mess. Now it's 1695 AD and I've got Mike's Chapel, railroad, etc. Would Mike's chapel alone plus a couple of Elves be enough to cover me for Republic now? (Probably not, eh.)

Having said all that, I believe the "bug" was a combination of what Finbar said and what Lefty suggested: that I traded for a science with the AI. I don't know why this raises the price, though.

Comment

Schweick, the next advance always costs more. Were it not so, you would have all the knowledge of the world pretty fast! The first one typically costs 10 beakers, while the last one may cost 3000, depending on circumstances.

In a Republic, what you do to keep the citizens content is giving them luxuries. Usually 30% is quite suffient, and you'll still be better off because of the extra trade arrow.

------------------
                  If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
                  A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
                  Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

30% luxuries, wow. As a monarch I 've always gotten by with 0 or 10%. But this is my first game at King level with lots of opponents. Thanks.

Comment

The quickest way to gauge your citizen happiness factor is via the Attitude Advisor under your Advisor Menu. Open it, check the happiness situation factor in your cities, then tweak the Luxury percentage. You'll see the attitudes changing with each adjustment. You'll see which cities will celebrate WLT*D, which won't, and even which cities will go into revolt. It's the best and safest way to monitor happiness. Sure beats cities scaring the hell out of you by going into revolt during a turn.

Obviously, the luxury percentage required to keep things bubbling along will depend upon your Happy Wonders, any happy improvements - temples, etc - and even trade from individual cities.

------------------
                      Troll & Hydey Wrangler
                      Mono Rules!
                      [This message has been edited by finbar (edited February 26, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ribannah on 02-21-2001 03:31 PM
                        Check your beaker production before and after changing all workers into Elves (plural of Elvis ...

Hey, I always thought that the plural of Elvis is Elvi, like syllabus-syllabi, pegasus-pegusi

-Bob

Semper ubi sub ubi!

Comment

If you can't get Republic to work for you - too many cities, poor infrastructure etc - a poor man's alternative is to try and get your SSC celebrating - this might cost quite a few luxuries initially, but once the SSC celebrates (in Monarchy) it gets the Trade arrows of a representative government and you can then lower the luxury rate and it will keep celebrating - that way you can get decent research levels from a SSC under a monarchy (or Commie/Fundy)
                          Sorry if this is old news, but not everyone appreciates the power of WLKD.

------------------
                          Scouse Git[1]

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
                          "The Great Library must be built!"
                          "A short cut has to be challenging,
                          were it not so it would be 'the way'."
                          - Paul Craven
                          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

quote:

Check your beaker production before and after changing all workers into Elves (plural of Elvis ) to see if it works.

I think the plural of Elvis is Elvi.

------------------
                            "Bonjour, you cheese-eatin' surrender-monkeys."
                            [This message has been edited by skrobism (edited March 01, 2001).]
                            Banano Laŭrajta Registaro en Ekzilo - Bananoj gismorte!| Cows O' Plenty|Wish List For ciV | Ming on Spammers: ...And, how do you know that I'm not just spamming by answering him |"This is all about peace; and in the quest for peace you have none." -my son wise beyond his years

Comment

Working...
                            X