I found a new bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found a new bug

I think I know why coastal fortresses don't work sometimes. I've been working my way through BeBro's wonderful scenario, IMPERIUM ROMANUM, and I noticed that the coastal fortress in Rome never seems to work. While working on one of my own scenarios, I noticed the same thing. (The dialog box never pops up, and the units get killed more easily).

Intrigued, I did some searches on these forums to see if anyone had reported this problem. Several people had experienced the same thing, but there was no consensus about when this in fact happened. Some thought that coastal fortresses did not work in the capital city, others thought they did, but offered no explanation.

At first I liked the capital city theory, because it fit my experience, but further testing showed that this was not true. Other coastal fortresses in capital cities get the bonus.

Here's what I think is the real answer. Only in the first city of the city list do coastal fortresses not work. Very often the first city built is the capital city, so I can see why people thought this. How do I know it's the first city? I deleted the first city in my scenario, and rebuilt it exactly as before and it did not have the problem, however the new first city(previously the 2nd) in the city list inherited this problem when it did not have it before.

After all the time I've been playing this game, I just now notice this problem!

[This message has been edited by Gothmog (edited February 19, 2001).]
    "Cease fire! Please! Cease fire. What a dreadful waste of ammunition!" -- General Horatio Herbert Kitchener
    --

Interesting theory. The problem has happened to me - the coastal fortress failing to function - but it seemed to have nothing to do with the city build order. It appeared to happen randomly.

------------------
    Founder, ACS Pedantry Institute
    Founder, ACS Gourmet Recipe Exchange
    Troll & Hydey Wrangler
    Mono Rules!
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

When you say the first city, you are referring to the first city in the save file, not the first city of a civ, correct? If that's the case that would explain the rare occurence of such a situation and also allows the human player to never have this happen to him. If this pans out to be the case, then the human player just has to do one of two things, 1. do not build a coastal city capital or 2. wait a turn or two before you build your capital and an ai civ will build the first city and you are free of the bug! Anyway, good discovery, nice work.

Albert B

Comment

The first city is the first one that displays when you use the "Find City" command (shift-c). These show up in the order that they were established, which is also the order they are physically stored in the save file. When a city is destroyed, every city after it moves up one slot in the save file.

Albert B,
        You understand perfectly the implications of this all.
        "Cease fire! Please! Cease fire. What a dreadful waste of ammunition!" -- General Horatio Herbert Kitchener
        --

Comment

Working...
        X