couple of weird things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• couple of weird things

I was playing the forever war (again!) and in one of my endless campaigns against the evil americans, some interesting things happened.
    1. I used my spy brigade and sabotaged and poisoned one of their big cities down to pop 1, and they were still making 50@ per turn from trade routes!
    2. I finally went and destroyed said city when it had 2 cruise missles and a tank defending it. tank gets killed, city disappears, and 2 cruise missles are hanging in mid air!

this stuff ever happen to you?
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

I've never seen the first one, but I've destroyed cities and left the units inside it still standing before. I'm not sure what causes it though.

Comment

Did you look at the city/trade routes on the same turn that you poisened it down to size 1? My guess would be that it wouldn't re-calculate trade route info until the end of the turn.

Comment

Destroying a coastal city with a boat in it is a lot of fun. Often the boat is left stranded, bobbing in the now empty land square.

------------------
        Founder, ACS Pedantry Institute
        Founder, ACS Gourmet Recipe Exchange
        Troll & Hydey Wrangler
        Mono Rules!
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Everyone:

I get a big kick out of Civ II when I destroy an enemy city and *stacked* units are left sitting there in an empty square.

A few nights ago, the conniving Carthaginians were invading my territory, preparing for a "surprise" attack. So I got p*ssed off, contacted the Carthaginians and told them to get their military off my soil. They complied. I then turned the tables on them and attacked. Well, to make a long story short, the bastards had established a size 2 city near my border, and that's where a lot of their units had been relocated to after I told them to leave. I hit that city with three cruise missiles ...

... and the third cruise missile hit the stacked units left after the city was destroyed. I jumped for joy and screamed my pleasure when a box came up saying: "30 units destroyed."

KICK-BUTT baby! Now if only that would happen more often!

CYBERAmazon
          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

The Cruise Missiles were probably homed to a different AI city. Only units homed to a particular city disappear when it does.
            To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

Thirty units! Coo-ool. Envy you that one. My best shots tend to be no bigger than a fully laden transport.

Did you consult the military adviser screen for a roll call of the enemy dead?

Comment

EST:

I did, but it was hard to discern which units I had specifically destroyed. After all, this happened after Carthage came to dominate Africa, then fought its way out of its homeland, conquering all of Europe and most of Asia. IOW, they had lost a lot of divisions prior to my crippling 30-unit strike (which was quickly followed by a full invasion, pretty much wiping out Carthage outside of Africa).

CYBERAmazon
                "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

just checking...

OK, I went back to my game and poisoned another city, their capital this time, down to size 1. it's routes weren't so great, one for 12@ and one for 4@. at the end of the turn, I checked and the routes were 16@ and 4@ !!
                  At the start of the next turn, I checked again and the trade routes were 12@ and 4@ .

oh, and while I was at it, I took one of their cities. they immediately sued for peace, and since I had the UN and an atrocious reputation, they warned me that they knew the treaty wasn't worth the paper it was written on . so I laid off them for the rest of the turn, and they immediately sneak attacked on their turn!!! Can you believe that!?! and they didn't change from democracy to do it! Since when does the senate agree with a sneak attack?

I was wondering if I could put cruise missles in a city of my own and disband it, leaving the poor things hanging in midair? I'll have to try it and see what the game does about it....
                  [This message has been edited by Father Beast (edited February 16, 2001).]
                  Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                  ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by CYBERAmazon on 02-14-2001 07:21 PM
                    I get a big kick out of Civ II when I destroy an enemy city and *stacked* units are left sitting there in an empty square.
                    "30 units destroyed."
                    CYBERAmazon

Hold it, right there!
                    I rather "revolt" such a size two, 30 units filled, ready to use treasure!!
                    Spy in, look it up, pay the cash within "affordable" limits! Spy out.
                    Clean, dirty BUT that figures.
                    Why build all those >almost free< units when you can steal it away from a weak city.
                    Could use the extra power.
                    Spies do their stuff, if given the opportunity.

Comment

Working...
                    X