Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advances

Hi there

I posted a couple of weeks ago to find out how to slow down the advances and someone said you can do this through the cheat menu. When you go to the cheat menu it has the it set to 10/10 and there is a note that a larger number slower the rate of advances. Well I have tried numbers as high as 500 and as low as 1 but the advance seem to be faster then normal no matter what I enter. What Am I missing?

The same problem:
    Link to "The system of advances in Civ2"
    posted February 04, 2001 07:34
    [This message has been edited by SlowThinker (edited February 09, 2001).]
    Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

Don't know if this helps. Changing the tech paridigm only affects the scenario you create not the current game you are playing. After you do the change, save as a scenario and then load the scenario, the starting screen will tell you that the tech paridigm is changed to a certain number.
      This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

kobayashi,
        Do you want to say that some settings in rules.txt are ignord if I start a .map file?
        Are there other ignored settings?
        I supposed there is only one difference betweeen .scn and .map file: added "events" in the beginning.

Comment

I don't think a map file stores anything except the terrain and the starting positions. When you say start a map file do you mean 'start on a pre-made world'?

As far as I can tell, the tech paridigm is not stored in the rules.txt file. Its somewhere in the xxx.sav and xxx.scn files.

Hopes that helps.
          This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

I did a mistake: I didn't want to write ".map" but ".sav"

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by kobayashi on 02-10-2001 08:31 AM
              Don't know if this helps. Changing the tech paridigm only affects the scenario you create not the current game you are playing. After you do the change, save as a scenario and then load the scenario, the starting screen will tell you that the tech paridigm is changed to a certain number.

So I need to Change the Tech Paridigm (up to what?) and then save the senario and then quit restart that senario.

Is that the jist of if?
              RJ

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by jake03 on 02-16-2001 02:16 PM
                So I need to Change the Tech Paridigm (up to what?) and then save the senario and then quit restart that senario.

Is that the jist of if?
                RJ

Or, if you want to change it in all games you play, you can just edit the file rules.txt. Pull it up in any text editor and find the appropriate line - they are all pretty well documented. Then if you make the change here, it will be reflected in all new games you start.

As far as what you want to change it too depends on how much you want to slow down the research. The default value in rules.txt is 10. I believe the jist is that if you bump it to 20, discoveries should take twice as long, 40 bumps it to 4X as long, etc. However, I've never really played with the value or tested it so I could be off. People that develop scenarios should be able to give you a little better idea of the effects of changing this value.

I hope that helps,

Albert

Comment

Albert B,
                  I tried it trought scenario menu: only values 3 to 10 are accepted.

Comment

If I remember correctly, it is possible to change the tech paradigm in rules.txt and then it will affect all games.
                    Rome rules

Comment

Working...
                    X