New to Civ II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Civ II

Hi everyone. I travel extensively and was looking for a game to keep me busy while flying and when stuck in my hotel room. Someone told me that CIV II works on Windows NT, so I bought it.

I've never played this game before. I've tried to get into it, but so far, to me it seems to lack the excitment of real time stratagy games like command and conquer.

There were no instructions with the game. I bought it for 10 bucks at Walmart, and so decided to look for a website that might help me out. I was shocked to see the extent to which this game facinates people.

Can anyone give me just some basic instructions? Is the game intuitive, or are there a lot of things to remember (in other words, do I need to get a manual?)

Is it similar in any way to command and conquor? I will be playing by myself. Is the AI good? If anyone has played both, and can tell me why they like CIV II better, I would appreciate knowing.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

[This message has been edited by bubbaB4U (edited January 20, 2001).]

Civ2 is a good game and the fact that the game contains a module for scenario production has extended its longevity. It is fairly simple. You get a unit at the strart; a settler. He can make cities and other settlers, who can then make more cities. If you click on the cities, a new screen comes up and details what that city is doing. There should be a "civilopedia" in the program--take a look at that. Access the in-game "advisors," who can tell you succinctly about units, technology, diplomacy. Conquer the world or launch a space ship to win. The AI, (Automated Intelligence) is dogged, but single-minded. There are many scenarios on scenario sites all over the web and there are still lots of people who play multi-player online games. Apolyton is THE site for Civ2, primarily because it acts as a nexus for all the various other sites and also because it contains a vibrant off-topic community.

Salutations,
    Exile

------------------
    Lost in America
    "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
    "or a very good liar." --Stefu
    [This message has been edited by Exile (edited January 20, 2001).]
    Lost in America.
    "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Exile on 01-20-2001 05:54 AM
      The AI, (Automated Intelligence)

Actually AI means Arificial Inteligence
      [This message has been edited by Henrik (edited January 20, 2001).]
      No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Hi BubbaB4U!

There is a tutorial in the game which is a handy means of grasping the basics.

From the initial menu - Load Game - then look for the tutorial file and open.

-------------

SG (2)
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Yes, the tutorial game can really help.

Warning: Civ is a very addictive game. We take no responsibility on what may happen to you because of too many playing hours.

Comment

Hy Bubba... a warning about scens. Scenario creators have to modify game parameters ( stored in *.txt files ), and sometimes scens and games can crash when you're playing... so don't think the whole game is going to Pallino town, it's just an internal code problem.
            "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
            "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
            "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

Henrik, we both know how the AI performs. It has the strategic capabilities of a turnip. I think we should call it Antiquated.

Yes, you're right. It's artificial,
              Exile

------------------
              Lost in America
              Lost in America.
              "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

quote:

Can anyone give me just some basic instructions? Is the game intuitive, or are there a lot of things to remember (in other words, do I need to get a manual?)

No, the manual located in the box is good enough. I would say it's very easy to get in to, but even playing for five years isn't enough to master it.
                quote:

Is it similar in any way to command and conquor? I will be playing by myself. Is the AI good? If anyone has played both, and can tell me why they like CIV II better, I would appreciate knowing.

Well, it's turn based, meaning it isn't as frantic. The AI, while not a genius, isn't really that stupid either. I have fun playing 6 hour games with the AI and I really get sucked into them. The AI is NOT BAD, although some veterans disagree. I like Civ2 better because it makes command and conquer seem very very bad. When you'd be landing a Tanya in c&c to bomb a few houses, in civ2 you're switching to democracy, bad-mouthing the Zulus, and forming alliances with France. No question, civ2 is DEEP.

Anyway, go get it bubba. At first it seems boring, but (especially if you like chess, etc) you'll get hooked in no time.

Have fun!
                [This message has been edited by SMACed (edited January 20, 2001).]

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along. I've been reading some of the comments about deployment of different forces. I noticed that some recommend stacking. How is that done?

Comment

Stacking is just the act of putting two or more of your units in the same square.

It is very useful to stack a diplomat or spy with another unit because this way the AI cannot expel the diplomat or spy. AI can expel your diplo with one of there military units when he is closer to their cities than to yours.

Of course, if you are at war with that civ (country) they can attack and destroy your units. NOte that if the enemy attacks and destroys a unit, all other units that are stacked with it are destroyed too. Only exception to this is if the stacked units are inside a city or in a fortress (that you can built withj a settler when you discover masonry).

Comment

Yup, it IS a complicated game

At least that what it seemed like when I started playing it. The thing with Civilization is the more you learn about it the more you enjoy it HAve fun

Comment

uh, if im not mistaken, u have to have construction to build a fortress, not masonry

------------------
                        Enjoy the war while you can, the peace will be terrible
                        Enjoy the war while you can, the peace will be terrible

Comment

(I was thinking of city walls)
                          Construction of course...

Comment

Hey folks, i've just bought Civ2 MP and wondering where to go to get in a multiplayer game. How long do the games take? I'm thinking, like , days?
                            And to that bubba guy: dude, you've GOT to get your hands on a manual, and also that nifty little poster thing, or you will go nuts trying to figure this game out. Am I not right? It is indeed deep. Any tips on multiplayering are welcome.

Comment

Sorry bubba, bunny's right - I didn't read your post well enough to know you didn't get a manual with the game - you NEED one !

And MB, I don't have MPGE, but I'm sure everyone else on the forums does...

Comment

Working...
                              X