Gigamap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigamap?

It seems that while I was gone from Apolyton a revolution occured in maps. Could someone explain them a little to me and tell me how I can get/make them? What real world gigamaps have been made that I could download? Thanks.

-GeoDan
    -GeoDan

hey Dan, the world gigamap is availiable in the database section of Apolyton. There are surely more of these there. hope this helps
    A genunine Matt Gaston post.

Comment

A giga-map is a map that goes to 30,000 some tiles. Making them is long and tedious. You have to hex-edit the map that you want to enlarge and then you have to smooth out flaws and have it look good. Yes, you can get the world giga-map here in the ACS database. There are some better ones out there, although I don't know where.
      If you download Julius Brenzaida's no-limits "patch" then you have unlimited gold and pop. and can make random giga-maps.
      ------------------
      Save the whales, collect the whole set!!

If Al Gore invented the Internet, then I invented the spell check- Dan Quayle

If someone doesn't agree with you, you haven't explained yourself well enough-Luther Ely Smith
      [This message has been edited by jcarkey (edited January 13, 2001).]

Comment

Gigamaps are map up to 32767 squares instead of 10000. They work only for ToT or MGE. I’ve made a world map of 127x239 available at Apolyton. If you look carefully in the archives of the creation forum, you’ll see a few links to 2 or 3 others.
        If you download my no-limits add-on, once again for ToT or MGE, your civ2.exe program will allow you to generate giga random maps.
        And if you have some patience, I have just submitted a new world map of 143x229 to the Apolyton database. It should be there in a few weeks at most.

------------------
        Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
        Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Sounds cool! Where can I download this patch of yours, Julius?
          -GeoDan

Comment

G. Dan,

Go to the Civ 2 Download/Database Page, select Search and type in "No Limit". (without quotes) You'll get both the ToT and MGE versions of the patch.

John-SJ

Comment

thanks
              -GeoDan

Comment

You don't have to hex edit to make a giga map. Just download Julius' no-limits program, generate one random map, and open it in the Civ2 map editor program. You can then modify it just like any other map. If you want to erase all the terrain and start over, you can certainly do that.

------------------
                -----
                Chris Shaffer
                shaffer@uic.edu

Comment

CS, that was how to do it before Julius' patch came out. You can hex edit and make tiny maps. But be careful of those, you have to put the city starting locations in usable spaces.

------------------
                  Save the whales, collect the whole set!!

If Al Gore invented the Internet, then I invented the spell check- Dan Quayle

If someone doesn't agree with you, you haven't explained yourself well enough-Luther Ely Smith

Comment

Working...
                  X