Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALERT: India Changing Name of Cities

Everyone:

I was scanning the wires at work earlier tonight and came upon a brief on the World wire about how India is changing the name of some of its major cities. In order to keep authenticity, perhaps some of you would like to change the appropriate city names in your Civ II support folder.

Apparently this is an effort by parties in India to reassert the old names of these cities, rather than the ones used under colonialism. The cities in question include:

1. Calcutta = Kolkata
    2. Madras = Chennai
    3. Bombay = Mumbai (many Indians still refer to the city by "Bombay" though)

The following is the full text of the article in question:

quote:

NEW DELHI, India (AP) — Calcutta reverted to its indigenous name of "Kolkata" on Saturday, joining a growing number of Indian cities trying to shrug off their colonial legacy by bringing back their old
    monikers.

The capital of India's West Bengal state will now be known by the Bengali version of its name, the federal government announced in a statement.

"The government of India, after careful consideration, accepted the proposal of the State Government of West Bengal to change the name of the city of Calcutta to Kolkata," the statement read.

New Delhi deliberated on the request for a year and a half before agreeing to the change. All government departments and agencies will have to change their names to comply with the directive, made after more
    than 50 years of independence from Great Britain.

Bombay, India's financial capital, was renamed Mumbai more than four years ago by the Hindu nationalist Shiv Sena government. Most Indians, though, still call it Bombay.

Many other cities followed its example. Madras in southern India was renamed Chennai, and Trivandrum was changed to Thiruvananthapuram.

For Calcutta, the change may not be so noticeable. Bengali speakers have always called it Kolkata, preferring the local pronunciation.

CYBERAmazon
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

I'll miss Bombay Thanks for the info, interesting stuff.

Comment

What is civ III going to do under this new crisis! Stay with the old or go with the new (unknown) names.
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Well, I guess it's a good opportunity to say that the city names for the Chinese aren't up to modern spelling. It's also very interesting how the Civilization II team were so good at finding out the only female leader China ever had, yet they fail to spell Sun Zi's (Sun Tze's) correctly.
        Well, I guess it's unfair to say this type of stuff, I mean I would not expect myself to be able to spell the Russian city names correctly.
        Food for thought, then.
        I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Comment

I think they'll go with the old ones in civ3. It would be too much trouble because you'd probably end up with a newly named city in early BC.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by ruoxiaohai on 12-31-2000 10:28 AM
            It's also very interesting how the Civilization II team were so good at finding out the only female leader China ever had, yet they fail to spell Sun Zi's (Sun Tze's) correctly.

Huh? In my version (MGE), it says Sun Tzu's War Academy, which is correct.

Comment

Sorry, I made that look wrong. Mao Zedong is the CORRECT spelling, Sun Zi's is the CORRECT spelling.
              Come to think of it, Beijing is not a very good place to have the Chinese capital. The Mongols made Beijing the capital of China during their conquest (Yuan dynasty).
              Yes, and while I'm at it, I may as well redesign the whole game. Ok, I think I'd better stop here.
              I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Comment

Why not call Beijing Peking? Or any of the other Englishinized names.

Comment

because civ2 designers would have pissed off china thus causing premptive nuclear strike against western U.S. targets creating ww3. This is why they went with Beijing .

Comment

quote:

causing premptive nuclear strike against western U.S. targets

Why the west? You must know they have far greater range than that

Comment

I think we should do them one better and change New York to Noo Yawk, etc.

Comment

Almost none of the "capitals" (ie. first city the AI builds) have "correct" names.

Some tribes are just strange. Like having the "Americans" build D.C. in 4000 BC. The Americans are of course a product of European colonization, and as such shouldn't even exist until at least after 1600 AD.

"The Vikings" are another strange "tribe", as "vikings" is a name for the Scandianavians that was only used for about 200 years. And "Trondheim" should not be their capital. There are lots of towns that are older and more important than Trondheim.

To be correct, modern "French", "Spanish" and "English" are all mixes of various tribes that settled their lands. For France they were Gauls (Celts), Romans and germanic Franks. For Spain they were Iberians, Celts, Basques, Romans, Goths and Moors. And for Britain Celts, Romans, Anglo-Saxons, Vikings and Normans.

But then again, Normans were simply a mixture between French and Vikings, and the Viking culture was closely related to the Anglo-Saxon one.

A perfect simulation of history would be interesting, but hardly fun to play.

T

Comment

Just thought about one thing; why is such large and important tribes as the "Arabs", the (Ottoman) "Turks" or the Hebrews (/Jews/Israelites) missing from Civ2?

Comment

Well, at least they got Athens right

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Theoderik on 01-04-2001 08:39 AM
                              Just thought about one thing; why is such large and important tribes as the "Arabs", the (Ottoman) "Turks" or the Hebrews (/Jews/Israelites) missing from Civ2?

To me it really doesn't matter, the names don't affect the civs anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X