Nuclear Power Plants/Hoover Dam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuclear Power Plants/Hoover Dam

It seems that the Hoover dam is all important by many civer's accounts. May i point out that if you build the Hoover Dam before you get all your cities to build a power plant then it actually lowers your potential production because you can't build a power plant anymore. Is that a bug on my version of civ (1.0 the oldest one available) or am i right?

I was under the impression that if you have the Hoover Dam (which I often like to rename the Three Gorges Dam, but that's just me) and you build a new city on the continent AFTER, then it automatically puts a power plant there. I could be wrong.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Comment

Last time I looked, the Hoover Dam substituted for all the alternative power plants you can build. If you build Hoover, all your factories & Manufacturing plants produce as if there were a power plant, (or nuclear plant, or hydro plant) in each city, for free. No production of said plants is necessary, no maintenance either, and, in the case of nuke plants, no danger of meltdown. Yeah, it's powerful allright. If someone else gets it, chances are you're in for a long war.

Salutations,
      Exile

------------------
      Lost in America
      "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
      "or a very good liar." --Stefu
      Lost in America.
      "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
      "or a very good liar." --Stefu
      "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

Each new power plant type is "cleaner".Once you have Hoover,power plants are obsolete.Nuke plants are cleaner than hydro plants and solar plants are the cleanest of all.
        The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Smash on 12-31-2000 02:21 PM
          Each new power plant type is "cleaner".Once you have Hoover,power plants are obsolete.Nuke plants are cleaner than hydro plants and solar plants are the cleanest of all.

Smash:

I typically build factories, then build the Hoover Dam. After that, the only other industrial improvement which increases shield output are manufacturing plants, right?

I am curious because I've test-built some power plants (standard plus nuclear and fusion) along with solar power plants, and nothing happens. The latter does reduce pollution, though, but no shield output increase because Hoover Dam (which puts hydropower in every city on every continent) already fills that role.

CYBERAmazon
          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Offshore platforms as well.They give sheilds to water squares in cities that can build them.Same requirements as a harbor as to whether or not they can be built.

Generally,Hoover's is all you need.They all provide the same amoumt of "power".But sometimes high sheild output cities will still pollute even after mass transit and recycling centers.I'll put solar plants there just because I'm lazy and don't want to have to run around cleaning up pollution at that point.Solars reduce global warming chances also by "absorbing excess heat in the atmosphere"
            The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I thought that power plants productions are not cumulative. Therefore if you have a hydro and nuke power plant then only one will count. And after you build a power plant, then you can only build the more advanced power plant, as Smash pointed out. If you have Hoover Dam then the only plant that you should even bother building is a Solar Plant. And you can't forget that Hoover only provides a hydro plant in that city. If a hydro couldn't be built otherwise, then the hydro will have no effect. At least, that's my experience.

------------------
              Save the whales, collect the whole set!!

If Al Gore invented the Internet, then I invented the spell check- Dan Quayle

If someone doesn't agree with you, you haven't explained yourself well enough-Luther Ely Smith

Comment

Smash:

Oops. Yea, I forgot about offshore platforms. Anyway, those (combined with harbors) make island cities very feasible while also greatly improving continental ocean/lakeside cities as well.

CYBERAmazon

jcarkey:

When I acquire the Hoover Dam, it provides hydropower in *every* city on *every* continent, irregardless of whether or not an actual hydropower plant is feasible. I'm pretty sure that's how it works, because every one of my cities sees a bump in shield production instantly after Hoover goes into effect.

CYBERAmazon
                "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Maybe this will make it clearer:

Assume city with base production of 20 shields

Add Factory => Production = 30 shields
                  Add Any Plant* => Production = 40 shields
                  Add Manufacturing Plant => Production = 50 shields

*This can be a Hydro (Hoover's), Nuclear, Power OR Solar, but only 1 plant can help increase production. Note that even though a Solar Plant can not increase production beyond an existing plant, it can still be built because it has the benefit of completely eliminating pollution.

Comment

Shamrock,

Solar plants do not eliminate sheild pollution they only reduce its occurance. To completely eliminate sheild pollution you have to build a recycling center.

Ken

Comment

thanks that cleared that all up for me.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ken Hinds on 12-31-2000 08:32 PM
                        Shamrock,

Solar plants do not eliminate sheild pollution they only reduce its occurance. To completely eliminate sheild pollution you have to build a recycling center.

Ken

Actually, you don't need a recycling center at all. A Solar Plant reduces industrial pollution to zero. It doesn't eliminate pop-based pollution, but you can achieve that via Mass Transit.

Comment

Recycling Centres only reduce pollution by about two-thirds.

The problem vanishes with Solar Plants/Mass Transit.

----------

SG (2)
                          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Also remember that any variety of Power Plant only increases the effect of Factories/Manu Plants - so if you don't have any factories built yet then Hoovers will have no effect.
                            Be the bid!

Comment

Actually, Sten, building Hoover can have an immediate beneficial effect on pollution, even if you have no factories (shield pollution is halved).

Comment

Working...
                              X