Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• civ 2 is great, especially if you tried clones

hi

i never new how great civ 2 was till i bought call to power 2. a snoozer with terrible ai. anyone else ever been dissapointed with other civ type games?

tom

I've tried others, I actually think that CtP2 is a pretty good game. It takes some getting used to, and the focus is more empire based rather than city based, I even get that "just one more turn" feeling when I play, but in the end I prefer the simplicity of Civ 2 over games like CtP2 or SMAC. I think Civ 2 strikes the best balance between breadth and depth. CtP2 has too much breadth for my personal liking.

John-SJ

Comment

I have played all the new high-tech games on all the game systems, and they're cool, but I keep coming bak to civ 2.......just can't beat it.

------------------
      Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
      You fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way
      Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
      Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
      I see the world through bloodshot eyes
      Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

I just hope that there will be no drastical changes in CivIII.

Comment

Never liked CTP/CTP 2, don't know exactly what it is, but after a while it just gets boring. There is something special with civ/civ2 that no other game has managed to capture.

Smac was ok, but didn't like all that weird scifi stuff, and the units looked utterly stupid.

If you are to play clones you are much better of with free games like FreeCiv which is almost identical with civ2. FreeCiv has multiplayer and in my opinion much better AI.
          We are the apt, you will be packaged.

Comment

I am pretty sure FreeCiv doesn't have any diplomacy, so it's not worth playing.

------------------
            St. Leo
            http://www.sidgames.com/hosted/ziggurat/
            http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I have played CTP, CTPII, this both was very bad and had ne chance against civII

SMAC is good, but CivII is a little bit better...
              Th Swiss must be in CivIII

Comment

I have played, Civ I Civ II Civ ToT SMAC SMACX Age of Empires, Ceasar, Ceasar II, Command and Conquer, Colonization, Detroit, Railroad Tycoon, Rollercoaster Tycoon, The Sims, Call to Power, etc. ad. infinitum
                -
                But I still play Civ II and Civ I more than any of the games listed above. This week alone, I must have spent about 5 hours on Civ II and I.
                -->Visit CGN!
                -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by St Leo on 12-25-2000 02:17 AM

There is diplomacy in Freeciv, so if you don't mind kind of crappy graphics you should try it.
                  We are the apt, you will be packaged.

Comment

Well, I have CTP1 and SMAC, and I do love SMAC. I prefer the setting of Civ2, which is why I play it more (I'm a shallow human being) - but SMAC is a better game. It really is Civ2 enhanced. Going from SMAC diplomacy to Civ2 diplomacy is always a bit of a let-down. It's just - taking over the Earth is more satisfying, than taking over a weird new Planet, so I still love Civ2. I'm hoping Civ III is to SMAC what SMAC was to Civ2, NOT what CTP was to Civ2.

Then I will be in gaming heaven.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by St Leo on 12-25-2000 02:17 AM

http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-cvs-.../msg00073.html

http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Working...
                      X