How many of you play chess ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you play chess ?

I'm currently playing a chess game against Smash (the defending champion) for the Apolyton World Chess title. Kcbob and Carolus Rex, have also disputed games.
    I was wondering how many Apolytiners were playing chess, and how many were playing the game quite seriously (being in a club for example).
    If you want a look at the games, they are all in the Other Games / civ comparison forum.
    Here's the latest threads : http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum22/HTML/000664.html?31 http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum22/H...tml?date=03:01

------------------
    Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
    Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

quote:

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida on 11-17-2000 06:53 AM Kcbob and Carolus Rex, have also disputed games.

"Disputed?" Let me make the crystal clear. I was not confused by the board. I am concerned about the partisanship displayed by my opponent during the game. He seemed to want to "beat" me. I will be appealing this to the Circuit Court of Appeals in Pea Ridge Arkansas and expect a ruling sometime after the turn of the next millenium. In the meantime, for the good of Apolyton, I will abide by the will of the people and...

*hook comes in from offstage, wraps around kcbobs neck, and Yanks him away*

------------------
    Frodo lives!
    Frodo lives!

Comment

I play - and some thirty odd years ago did so competitively - then I discovered Bridge - now if we can find a four ...

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
      "The Great Library must be built!"
      "A short cut has to be challenging,
      were it not so it would be 'the way'."
      - Paul Craven
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 11-17-2000 10:16 AM
        I play - and some thirty odd years ago did so competitively - then I discovered Bridge - now if we can find a four ...

Incredible! Did someone say bridge???

------------------
        Frodo lives!
        Frodo lives!

Comment

Chess is a great game. Maybe the best strategy game of all time. Simple rules, limited equipment, endless combinations - you could be stuck on a deserted island and put a game together.

Anyway. Yes I play. Less now than I used to but I am teaching my sons. Everyone should play this game. It is a great brain exercise. I love it when, after playing several games, I start to dream moves.

I have never played in a league.

I have dabbled in Steve Jackson's Knightmare Chess. It's a nice expansion that uses cards to grant new moves and twists to the game.

[This message has been edited by skrobism (edited November 17, 2000).]
          Banano Laŭrajta Registaro en Ekzilo - Bananoj gismorte!| Cows O' Plenty|Wish List For ciV | Ming on Spammers: ...And, how do you know that I'm not just spamming by answering him |"This is all about peace; and in the quest for peace you have none." -my son wise beyond his years

Comment

i play chess, never in a league, and not very often anymore, but i do play. I am about as good at chess as i am at civ MP Still, against a newbie i can crush them, vets, well they take me out like calvalry on phalanx's. One thing i do not know how to do is follow the moves in the forum of the games that are being played online. Its all gibberish to me

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Mercantile on 11-17-2000 01:34 PM
              i play chess, never in a league, and not very often anymore, but i do play. I am about as good at chess as i am at civ MP Still, against a newbie i can crush them, vets, well they take me out like calvalry on phalanx's. One thing i do not know how to do is follow the moves in the forum of the games that are being played online. Its all gibberish to me

Hey, Merc, wanna play for a housepayment???

------------------
              Frodo lives!
              Frodo lives!

Comment

I play chess these last few days. It's part of my detoxication program to get away from CIV.
                Only to get right back into it afterwards!

Comment

kcbob, you have to give me odds, my money is in Canadian dollars At almost 1 1/2 to each American dollar, i need at least 3-1 odds.

Seriously though, i know the all the moves but i could never play with out the board in front of me. Those codes lose me

------------------
                  Do you shovel snow in your birkenstocks?

Comment

That "code" is algebraic notation.It is a way of keeping track of the moves.There is also the archaic descriptive notation but algebraic is superior.

Xa-b-c-d-e-f-g-h

P=pawn
                    R=rook
                    N=Knight
                    B=Bishop
                    Q=Queen
                    K=King
                    O-O=castles kingside
                    O-O-O=castles queenside
                    X=a capture

The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Perhaps the appropriate question in a venue such as this is what games *don't* we play! My list of games that I am at least comfortable with is almost to long to mention.

I guess my basic rule is that if it is not random (like say, Chutes and Ladders), I will (and probably have) played it.

I think there should be a master rating system that takes into account most games, so we could see where we stand in all games. Or a club where we all participate in a different game each week...

Other than Civ, favorites in a sort of general order: Hearts, Chess, Risk, any Avalon Hill game, Backgammon, Feudal, Phalanx, Monopoly, Life, Stratego, Cinch (aka Set Back),Bridge, Spades, Cribbage, Awari, etc.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                      Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                      Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                      Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

I play (poorly) in a (very minor) league.

Bridge is my main game (and has been for 35 years). In an otherwise undistinguished display on Wednesday I did manage a double squeeze (my third, so an average on that one of not quite once a decade ).

Nice when it happens though.

Never managed a criss cross. (Got close twice but the cards didn't lie for it).

Was subjected to a progressive squeeze once - and in a 6 NT contract at that.

Not tried internet bridge, yet. Must give it a go.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by cavebear on 11-17-2000 11:54 PM

I guess my basic rule is that if it is not random (like say, Chutes and Ladders), I will (and probably have) played it.

Let's see, my list would include: Break the Ice, Candy Land, Hi Ho Cherry-O, Monopoly for kids, Chinese Checkers, LEGO Creator and when in a particuly adventurous mood Dark Tower and Mastermind! I sometimes try for grownup games by am short of opponents (or is it that my opponents are too short...)! On Mondays I get creative and "invent" games for Cub Scouts. My greatest was using old tires and plastic gallon milk jugs for bowling!

I tried to interest my oldest in chess, but he may have been too young at the time. He's almost 11 now, so I should try again.

------------------
                          "And now for something completely different..."
                          - John Cleese
                          "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida on 11-17-2000 06:53 AM
                            I was wondering how many Apolytiners were playing chess, and how many were playing the game quite seriously (being in a club for example).

Castling on Queen side's, Yes, done that... but was nailed in a tournament by a Kevin Spragget's bishop back in the late 70's, ever since my quote has been climbing over 2000 from the deception of losing the key game. Yearly membership fees excluded.
                            Had to tilt a king against a "can't remember his name!" slovak downtown Montreal in 40 boards sequencial show down in the early 80's.
                            Grabbed another opponent queen with a strangely planned knight double fork, too!
                            Last time i checked, the logic of 91 hexagonal boarding is a patent i owned(and still do) and distributed as "CHEXX" back in 1987 on many different medias.
                            But, Yes, done that.

Comment

I used to play competitively at the club level but have not done so for quite a few years. I still have the old books especially the cheap ones from the old USSR and even subscribed to their Shakmatny Byuletin. It does require a hell of a lot of time to keep up with the latest in GM play, both in the analysis and opening theory.

Would fit in well in a strategy-based site like ACS.

Comment

Working...
                              X