No announcement yet.

Communism better than republic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Civ1, my two prime governments were republic and communism. According to Brian Reynolds, those were the the two types that got boosted up in Civ2. Strangely, in Civ2, I almost never use rep or commie anymore. I've become a demo fan.
    But commie is an incredibly powerful weapon to yield under the right circumstances. I've had trade go up by 50% when changing from rep to commie, allowing it to keep up with the peacenik nations on the science front, and still managing a brutal war somewhere else in the empire. And you got to love the spies, of coure.

C.

Comment

SAme here Catullus.
      I use demo in CIV 2 all the time now.
      When I am obliged to fight I change VERY BRIEFLY to communism.
      ALmost never use rep.

Comment

Julius-, i agree that on a small island or med size solo land claim , that repub is great as your trade vessels don't incur unhappiness problems. After all, each city with trade must have its' own boat.

However , on large land masses, with continual expansion, i am often not ready for Rep much less Dem until after the happy wonders are in my control. The ai is so slow to build them that in SP its a joke. Now, in MP this is completely different, especiall with x2 production.

As a trader, i need lots of land to continually trade my precious goods

Comment

Hmmm, everybody's saying how tough and different MP is.
          Maybe I should give it a try...

The only time I played civ 2 MP everybody left after 30 mins my self included....
          [This message has been edited by paiktis22 (edited November 10, 2000).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Mercantile on 11-10-2000 03:19 PM
            However , on large land masses, with continual expansion, i am often not ready for Rep much less Dem until after the happy wonders are in my control. The ai is so slow to build them that in SP its a joke. Now, in MP this is completely different, especiall with x2 production.

Of course, I was talking about SP. Even on a big island, you can choose to build only a few cities. I shall remain republican ! (although I admit that MP games could make me change my point of view)

------------------
            Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
            Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

resurfacing a fairly old thread...

I prefer to use monarchy, go straight for democracy, build the SoL and move straight from mono into communism. They are similar governments in many ways, and the conversion is easy. This is usually in games where I am warring often, and switching into a representative government is just simply detrimental to my cause.

Comment

I tend to skip republic when I'm in the mood to expand. Then I do the same SoL-->Communism move. Communism in 300ad is definitely better than the AI's democracy...
                The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                intelligence to few.

Comment

I find Communism to be my "default" gov't in Civ II. There are instances where i briefly use either Dem/Rep or Fund. but I try to get communism as fast as i can and stick with it the rest of the game. I find it to be the most flexible form of gov't in most circumstances.
                  http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

In MP ...repub then demo is the way to go if you have trade routes or a happy wonder......

with HG... you should be in repub for WLTCD's.... ASAP

That all said.... i often go the monarchy route first as rep can be annoying if your still trying to expand..... not too mention your cities are weak as your likely not to have many troops guarding
                    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Working...
                    X