Civ2 error -PLEASE HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ2 error -PLEASE HELP!

I have been playing Civ2 for a good 4 years now, the first game I ever bought for my computer. I just got a laptop, a Compaq LTE 5300, Pentium 133, 32 mb ram, 1.3 gb hard drive, and no cdrom. I have been trying to install CIV2 on it, by using a parallel cable to transfer all the files from the cd to the laptop, and then install. I installed win98 2nd edition like that. The program installs fine, but at run time, it gives an illegal operation, a general protection fault error. I can't figure out why, can somebody please help?

Which version of civ2?? MP requires the CD to be in the drive in order to run - v2.42 does not - there is a 'patch' (some would say hack) for the former. In the latter case you have a real problem - what you might try is getting hold of the VCD software from, for example, here Cutting the Virtual CD on your base machine importing it to the laptop together with the VCD software and running from the virtual CD - I do this on two of my machines.

p.s. if you can manage the Kanji the japanese version of the software will import the music files as well!!

Good civin'

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
    "The Great Library must be built!"
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Isn't the "cd required" dependant on the size of the installation you did?
      The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

not on a PC Smash ...

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
        "The Great Library must be built!"
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

If you try and play without the CD in the drive, you will just get the little window "Civ2 CD not detected. Insert and retry?" The game shouldn't crash.

I would try to reinstall again. Something must have went wrong there.
          Visit the Civ/SMAC Seti Teams stats!

Comment

only MGE and TOT require the CD... you can play the standard civ without the CD

Comment

Working...
            X