• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rah

I always customize the leader name so it's always the same. RA_
    RA_liman
    RA_psody
    RA_theryouthanme

(a few others available, ... also in French and some other languages if you prefer )
    Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Er, you spell rhapsody with an h.

Stray. Why did you explore in that direction? Whether I'm playing OCC or not, I always make sure I know the squares in the city radius before founding. The irrigation is pointless if you move a unit and discover a whale or some other decent special. "Man cannot live on a mined iron square alone...."

Comment

Good point. But If I'm on a river dot, with a whale in reach, I don't need to see the other squares to settle. If there's something else in range, It's a bonus.

Most good surprises come from that second city that you place on the river just to get the extra beaker and a place to spit settlers out of. That first warrior moves out to clear the rest of the squares and BINGO, something else good in reach.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york
          Stray. Why did you explore in that direction? Whether I'm playing OCC or not, I always make sure I know the squares in the city radius before founding. The irrigation is pointless if you move a unit and discover a whale or some other decent special. "Man cannot live on a mined iron square alone...."
          Looks like he was moving west, saw the Coal, then the Iron and knew he had at least a 3-Special site so when he saw the Plains at the center he just plunked down and waited for his first Warrior to figure out the rest. I'm curious what it was, Stray...

Comment

Originally posted by rah
            Good point. But If I'm on a river dot, with a whale in reach, I don't need to see the other squares to settle. If there's something else in range, It's a bonus.
            Curious... what's a river dot (I assume you don't mean shielded grass, since you get a free shield in the citysquare anyway)?
            "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
            "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

I think he used the word dot in place of square, "But if I'm on a river square..."
              Cedric's Civilization 2 Page, Home of the FW, MGE, and ToT Patches

Comment

Used dot instead of shield, since it looks more like a dot.

Too much 2x production, where you don't get two shields for the city square unless it's a dot.
                In a 1x game the dot wouldn't make a difference.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I've seen a capital in the polar region once. However, it was my own capital and I think this was the last time I lost a game. But it was close

Comment

There was a challange for that once.
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yep, I remembered there had been a polar challenge. But even there, you get a bunch of ocean squares to use. In this London location, I don't think the city (on its own) can ever grow larger than size 2 without a supermarket, size 3 with one. Of course, I also seem to remember that someone has succeeded in a size-one polar OCC. But that was a deliberate choice to make things difficult. I don't THINK that's what the AI was doing here....

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york
                        It was a specific challenge. I think it was Mercatia (who has since mysteriously disappeared) had complained about some rotten terrain in a game.

I had an abandoned start that was too mountainous but I recalled there were some 4-special sites, so I made the challenge.

Nobody took me up on it (cowards). I was just able to launch in time to land by 2020.
                        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by debeest
                          Of course, I also seem to remember that someone has succeeded in a size-one polar OCC.
                          Yes, that one always amused be because I would mention it to newbies and they'd just look at me in total disbelief and horror. Then to finish them off, you could just say, DEITY, of course.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                          X