No announcement yet.

Newbie question: capitals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[I was quite honestly very surprised at how many people swore by fundamentalism as the only government to be in as well as the lack of supporters for Democracy (my hands down first choice)

I am totally with you there. Balancing happiness and keeping your senate happy etc seems to me much more interesting than winning under fundy or communism. I only ever go monarchy/democracy.

Comment

I only go Democracy, Republic or Monarchy (I only Republic cause I hate the monarchy). I think it is more interesting. I also try not to use martial law when possible. Is this taking my liberal politics too far?

First thing I do with any new game is read the manual, they are often the best bits. That said I spent a day at work recently writing a mini manual for a colleauge I'd persuaded to give the game a go. I thought givining him the whole thing would put him off. Does anyone know if there are any other Civ II mini manuals out there?
      [This message has been edited by johnmcd (edited October 06, 2000).]
      www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Funny you should mention that, I've always thought "Democracy"(Democrat?) in Civ 2 is like having a liberal government, while "Republic"(Republican?) is like having a conservative government. In Democracy you get to tax the people 100%, your citizens are always on the verge of rioting, and that pathetic peace-loving Senate is always throwing a wrench in your conquest plans. On the plus side, with all that ivory tower intellectualism, your science levels flourish. In a Republic the maximum tax rate is 80%, so at least they get some of thier money back, the Senate is far more supportive of the military, and the citizens are less fickle in trying to collaspe the government. Of course in exchange for this relative stability, you don't get many of the bonuses associated with Democracy.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Emperor10 on 10-10-2000 09:45 PM
          In a Republic the maximum tax rate is 80%, so at least they get some of their money back, the Senate is far more supportive of the military, and the citizens are less fickle in trying to collapse the government. Of course in exchange for this relative stability, you don't get many of the bonuses associated with Democracy.

Well, you get the money bonus. What else matters?
          "Gimme money, that's what I want, yeah ..."

Actually, I learned the (very) hard way that the other benefits matter, having lost two cities to a fundy gov't during the space race. PITA!

And, finbar, I have lost my capital prior to masonry. Oh Lord, that sucked . I don't recall details, but I'm confident I gave that game up.
          John 6:68

Comment

Working...
          X