Do AI's ever subvert cities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do AI's ever subvert cities?

Hi all. I've been playing Civ (ToT) for about two months now (yes, almost constantly), and find the practice of paying to subvert enemy cities an essential part of my game. But the AI's don't ever seem to bother with it, even when they've got great heaping wads of cash; they'll waste units worth thousands in gold attacking a well-fortified city, but they won't send in a lousy spy and buy the place. Is this an advantage for the human player, or have I just been lucky? (Oh, and sorry if this has already been asked and answered; I only just discovered this splendid site.)
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Dear Groucho fan

It depends on a few things:

- what level of the game you are playing (at Deity the AI certainly bribes the human player's cities)
    - how much money you have got (if loads, then the cost of subverting increases)
    - what government you are in
    - whether you have built courthouses (which double the price)

You should try the Strategy thread for loads of tips.

Welcome to Apolyton - first step to winning at Civ!

Comment

The AI will incite revolts - i've gotten quite a few travellers reports about them doing so. Since I play with representative governments most of the game and go to democracy fairly early and tend to bribe AI diplomats whenever I see them, I don't usually have it happen to me. I did have the AI bribe a city of mine in a senario where I was stuck in monarchy once, though. As for subverting vs simply inciting revolts, since the AI don't seem to have any penalties attached to that like we humans do, I doubt they actually spend the extra gold.

------------------
      Sleep is a luxury and I don't have Shakespeare's Theatre in my back yard.
      Insert witty phrase here

Comment

Welcome to Apolyton, Rufus. It is a splendid site, isn't it?

The AI is always (it seems) trying to bribe my cities. Much too successfully for my own liking, I might add. But maybe there's another aspect to your question. Has anyone ever seen an AI tribe bribe another AI tribe? I'm not sure if I've ever seen that occur. I have seen it fight and take a city by force but as for seeing a diplomat/spy walk in and bribe... can't say as I've ever seen that.

------------------
        Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
        Frodo lives!

Comment

As i said in the post above, I've seen the AI bribe a lot of other AI cities. Most recently was in OCC 12 - the English conquered virtually every non-capitol in the world, quite a few by bribing. I watched several English spies circle my city before bribing other cities nearby, including 1 that i was sending a gold freight to. Also got quite a few travellers reports of Roman influence suspected in other AI city revolts in OCC 3. Again, i don't know for sure whether they subvert or incite revolts, but I do know that I've seen quite a few AI cities change hands at the hands of other AI check writers.

------------------
          Insert witty phrase here

Comment

King level or lower the ai will only bribe units.Emperor and deity it will buy cities.Not with any regularity though.
            The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

the scenario where the AI bribed my city was played on King level (i have a tendancy to take the suggested level on scenarios when I'm browsing). As that was the only time i can ever remember the AI bribing anything of mine (again, because I tend to play democracy pretty exclusively, my experiences are limited)
              Insert witty phrase here

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Smash on 09-28-2000 02:16 PM
                King level or lower the ai will only bribe units.Emperor and deity it will buy cities.

Yeah, that's what the rule book says.

quote:

Not with any regularity though.

True. I've often wondered what dictates the AI's bribing policy. Given, of course, that one is in a position to be bribed.

------------------
                finbar
                Mono Rules!
                [This message has been edited by finbar (edited September 28, 2000).]
                " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

weren't a few people getting bribed in DaveV's "late start" challenge game over on the strat forum?

Comment

Thanks everybody! Based on what's been said, I'll assume I escape city bribery (when I'm not a democracy) because I'm playing at a lower level (Warlord). I'll watch out for it as I advance!

------------------
                    But there must be a war. I've paid a month's rent on the battlefield.
                    -- Rufus T. Firefly
                    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

the AI does bribe at kings level
                      happened to me last night

question: shouldn't a spy (veteran) prevent this?

Comment

nope - just make it (fractionally) less likely to succeed - I have thwarted attempts at subversion before but about as often as I've seen hen's teeth!

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
                        "The Great Library must be built!"
                        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly on 09-29-2000 04:36 AM
                          Thanks everybody! Based on what's been said, I'll assume I escape city bribery (when I'm not a democracy) because I'm playing at a lower level (Warlord). I'll watch out for it as I advance!

I would bet the south forty that I've had cities bribed even while I'm in Democracy. I know the rules state otherwise but I've seen it happen. Drove me crazy! Could it be connected with MGE?

------------------
                          Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
                          Frodo lives!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 09-29-2000 11:52 AM
                            I would bet the south forty that I've had cities bribed even while I'm in Democracy. I know the rules state otherwise but I've seen it happen. Drove me crazy! Could it be connected with MGE?

you need the version 1.3 patch for MGE

------------------
                            Insert witty phrase here

Comment

Working...
                            X