No announcement yet.

Mongol Horde Succession Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like it's my turn. Thus, I have downloaded the save and will play it by Sunday. Probably sooner.
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Clads and Crooks
      Have a nice time STYOM
      Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Just testing resourced smiley ...

SG[1]
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york

So you can only build alpine troops in cities on hills or mountains and then once they have moved one square you have to disband them because they're not allowed to walk back up the slope?
          If it was the case, I'd be happy to build a city on a gold mountain and defend it with my alpines troops
          But it looks like the Gits do not agree
          Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
            Alpines are NOT allowed! They use their own legs!!!

Jeeps however, have wheels!
            Yes, but how do you drive without ever using your legs
            It could help to step into the jeep and for some trivious stuff like, the brakes
            Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

1420, and STYOM is elevated to the position of Shamaness Bortei's favourite cabana boy.

Gaaah! We're weak??? This map is full of cities built on 'sweet spot' locations... we've even done some irrigating! This game displays none of the rodentian hallmarks I have come to expect.

I do see some form of shipchain towards Zulu lands, but it's missing about 5 of 8 necessary ships

Goal: More 'mass'. Our society is a lightweight among nations. We need more cities, more ships to get our goods to market quickly and safely. More units, so that we can take what is rightfully ours (Just north of us is Magellan's Expedition in Caralis... )

Ideally we'll get Steam Engine via trade, but it's more important to lay the groundwork for later growth. We have only 5 Settlers after all.

Thus, the new ruler snaps a damp towel at his advisors and...

Rushes Horsemen in Khanbalyk - we want that city producing Settlers or Caravans. Changes some workers around to facilitate faster Caravan construction in Ormuz. Presses enter.

Barbarians capture Grenoble from French

Carthaginians finish Sun Tzu. Oops, was I supposed to do something about that?

Several Caravans are built.

1440: Accidentally sink a Zulu Caravel while returning to Ormuz!
              Khorasan founded.

Barbarians rise near Basra... but across a stretch of water

1460: Not much of consequence... except that we incrementally add to caravan production in a few places and decide that we want to build Leo in Karakorum (since we have already built all supply commodities for that city).

Zulus form a Republic. Egyptians learn Iron Working.

1480: Shangtu founded.

Zulus learn Feudalism, French Monotheism.

1500: Leonardo's Workshop in Karakorum, all others abandon. Existing Horsemen become Elephants

Celts learn Republic.

1510: More rushing, incremental.

Carthaginians learn Chivalry.

1520: Kazan founded.

1530: Lots of rushed units.

We make peace with the Zulus to ensure the safety of our overseas Caravans. Some degree of safety, anyway.

1540: More rushbuilding.

8 turns doesn't seem like a lot, but I'll stop here and pass the towel of leadership to the next cabana boy in line.

Lots of expansion stuff going on - other than rushbuying Settlers and Caravans there isn't a lot to spend money on (no Diplomats ), so I figured Leo's was a decent investment. Yes, it'll kill the Ironclads when we get Electricity - but that's so far away it seemed to be irrelevant.

I was planning to build cities at (187,65), (189,77), and (208,100) in the next few turns. My successor may want to do differently, of course Take care of the 7 Caravans at sea towards Zuludom.
              Attached Files

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
              "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

sirsnuggles ?

(I can play anytime if you don't feel like it)
                Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Is someone rousing me from my hibernation early?

All right, I'm good to go on Monday. Lafayette, if you want to play before Monday, go ahead, we can switch places, otherwise I'll steamroll on Monday.
                  No greater love has one than to lay down their life for a friend.

Comment

Thanks STYOM! The expansion of the Empire is important even though the accessible real estate is not that exciting.

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
                    1500: Leonardo's Workshop in Karakorum, all others abandon. Existing Horsemen become Elephants
                    This is a frequent misconception! The Leo's upgrades for legged units goes as follows:

Chariots become Elephants which then become Crusaders after discovering relevant techs.

Horsemen become Knights with Chivalry.

When Leadership arrives all Knights and Crusaders become Dragoons and with Tactics transform into Cavalry.

--------------------------------

SG(2)

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                      Thanks STYOM! The expansion of the Empire is important even though the accessible real estate is not that exciting.

This is a frequent misconception! The Leo's upgrades for legged units goes as follows:

Horsemen become Knights with Chivalry.

SG(2)
                      Looking at the save, obviously you're right. I wonder why I just assumed that? Anyhoo, I defend my decision to build Leos, based on the future upgrade of Settlers and Caravels. Besides, I can't stand it when the AI builds it

As for expansion... the real estate is decent. Some good sites in the north-east corner of our island. We had no decent units to go hunting Magellan (and not enough Caravels to ship them in) when I started my turns, but we now have several Caravels and are busy building Crusaders. Pump a few Caravans into the Zulu coastal cities, and we should have Steam.

Comment

Play Order - Second Round

1) SG[1] - 8 turns
                        2) SG(2) - 8 turns
                        3) STYOM - 8 turns
                        4) sirsnuggles -
                        5) LaFayette -
                        6) -Jrabbit -
                        7) SCG -
                        8) Old'n'Slow -
                        9) Julius -

SG[1] [img]www.cms.livjm.ac.uk/wittgenstein/gits.gif[/img]

Comment

Hmm. Tried to open www.cms.livjm.ac.uk/wittgenstein/gits.gif
                          and got the infamous Poly "congrats, you found a missing page" form.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

The new young, lithe cabana boy, Sirsnuggles, is elevated from obscurity amidst the cacophony of Barry Manilow. With his new found power, Sirsnuggles determines to imprison the aforementioned Manilow. Yet, following contemplation reverses his decision, and gifts the said mentioned Manilow to the Phoenicians (A Trojan horse).

1540 AD: Regime implements new system of government: Communism.

1560 AD: Trade routes with Zimbabwe established:
                            Tabriz: 104 gold, +3 trade route.
                            Ormuz: 88 gold, +4 trade route.

1570 AD: Steam Engine discovered. Inquiries made into new types of transportation.
                            Trade route with Zimbabwe established:

1580 AD: Xinning sites created.

1590 AD: Trade routes with Zimbabwe established:
                            Kabul: 92 gold, +3 trade route.
                            Bokhara: 82 gold, +3 trade route.

1600 AD:
                            Trade routes with Zimbabwe established:
                            Karakorum: 156 gold, +4 trade route.
                            Kashgar: 94 gold, +3 trade route.

1610 AD: Discover Railroad, research Industrialization.
                            Trade route with Zimbabwe established:
                            Aleppo: 60 gold, +3 trade route.

1620 AD: Just moving things about.

Unfortunate bedroom scene between Sirsnuggles and the Khaness results in sudden banishment from the kingdom. Anonymous officials leak that when asked if he thought the Khaness’ new clothe lingerie from Zimbabwe made her look fat, Sirsnuggles foolishly replied, “Not that much.” In the wake of Sirsnuggles banishment, Barry Manilow reportedly seeks reentry into the kingdom. A dire day indeed.

A rather short-lived rule, not long enough to implement any sort of system, or even gain a feel of the present situation.
                            Attached Files
                            No greater love has one than to lay down their life for a friend.

Comment

Oh Dear!

A semester polishing the marble floors of The Institute for sirsnuggles

One does not build WoWs the hard way once one has Trade!

One does not build Darwin in the capital (unless you are extremely careful / lucky!)

One does not go Commie until one can celebrate the majority of one's cities

One does not build Libraries in order to gain 7 beakers/turn when an advance costs > 1000 beakers

One does not run a luxury rate (even of 10%) when it neither stabilizes any cities nor celebrates any cities

One does not keep >1000g in the treasury in any government at any time without a very good reason

Other than that - good turns

I seem to recall that you were warned of the possibility of robust constructive criticism! We hate to dissapoint our readership!

The SGs

Seriously, sirsnuggles, if any of the above need further explanation we will happily provide details of the justification for our 'theories' ...

Comment

Play Order - Second Round

1) SG[1] - 8 turns
                                2) SG(2) - 8 turns
                                3) STYOM - 8 turns
                                4) sirsnuggles - 8 turns
                                5) LaFayette -
                                6) -Jrabbit -
                                7) SCG -
                                8) Old'n'Slow -
                                9) Julius -

SG[1]

Comment

Working...
                                X