Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game downloaded
    I will play this week-end
    BTW, those Mongols sure don't walk, but they look like diplomatic and xinning whizz
    I will take care of this historical inaccuracy
    And did they build cities or simply destroy them
    Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Play Order

1) SG[1] - 20 turns
      2) SG(2) - 20 turns
      3) STYOM - 20 turns
      4) sirsnuggles - 20 turns
      5) LaFayette - 20 turns
      6) -Jrabbit - 20 turns
      7) SCG - skipped
      8) Old'n'Slow - 20 turns
      9) Julius
      10) ???

SG[1]
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

King Julius, swam (as he could not walk) peacefully to the throne in 760 ad. He checked all cities before hitting the return key and marvelled at the great work done by his predecessors. He decides on a politics of trade, we need money, science and we need wonders. Oh yes, and our city with the Colossus is at size 3, with no real growth and no improvement.

780-800-820 ad, caravans (on board ships) are sailing to zulu land for trade
        840 ad. Magellan is build by Carthaginians. I hope nobody dreamed of that wonder. I agree that best in monotheism, Mike’s Chapel and then republic.
        860 ad 50 gold from a hut in zulu land, no advanced tribe (47% chance according to Samson). We discover Monotheism, invention is next.
        880 ad We are threatened by the Carthaginians, refuse to give them a tech, but they don’t call our bluff.
        900 ad. 246 gold with dye to Ngome, Zulus call our bluff and declare war. A bad mistake from king Julius, as we shall trade with them.
        920-40-60 ad, after spending some money (library in Karak), we deal with the Zulus, peace in exchange for monotheism, risky, but I bet we can build Mike fast.
        980-1000 ad. 268 gold with caravan in Zimbabwe.
        1020-1040-1060 ad We discover invention, physics is next (en route to steam engine, as we remember the Gits are fond of ironclads). 164 gold to Ulundi.
        1080-1100 ad. We build Mike’s Chapel. Nice time to retire !
        Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Sorry, I don’t think my play was great. Let’s say I was a bit rusty, to say the least. I think we should go for republic in the next oedo year, but that’s just my opinion. Two caravels are heading towards Zululand with caravans from Karakorum. We’re solid, but not powerful yet. Aleppo shall be able to build another wonder pretty soon …
          Here is the saved game …
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Julius - I guess it's back round to us unless there are any more takers or SCG has got RL under control - I would hope to play on Wednesday all things being equal - which they never are...

SG[1]

Comment

Looks fine to me, Julius.

We've got Mike's and now turn loose our secret weapon -- a double-barreled Git gun.

(How many turns next round btw??)
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I think the main problem is going to be defense, as pedestrians like musketeers and riflemen are going to be dearly missed. Are Alpine troops (going on skis) allowed or not ? It could make some difference before mechanized infantry (or is it yet infantry ?)

Comment

I'm thinking we make a beeline to airborne defenders for this game.
                  They'll never get close enough to thrreaten us!
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida
                    I think the main problem is going to be defense, as pedestrians like musketeers and riflemen are going to be dearly missed. Are Alpine troops (going on skis) allowed or not ? It could make some difference before mechanized infantry (or is it yet infantry ?)
                    Some time ago, I decided to start building Horsemen instead of Phalaxes for defense in the early part of my games. This game will be workable that way, I expect (the best defense is a good offense). The only hassle will be the extra shield cost.

And I would bet that Alpines are disallowed
                    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Hmm. I thought it was clever enough to work. The dictum was, "Mongols never walk." Ever try to walk on skis?

In any case, those cavalry should do just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                        Ever try to walk on skis?
                        So you can only build alpine troops in cities on hills or mountains and then once they have moved one square you have to disband them because they're not allowed to walk back up the slope?

STYOM is right though - horsies are better than pointy-stick men because you can prevent the enemies from coming into your city radii and covering up your special squares. I like to have an archer hanging around so I can stick him on a hill or forest or whatever for the barbs to attack and then use horsies to catch the king and his bags of money. I doubt this works too well in MP, but against the barbs - or even another civ - then it's fine.

Comment

I would think that Alpines are out, but Jeeps should be OK.
                          Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

And Lorries too
                            No greater love has one than to lay down their life for a friend.

Comment

Alpines are NOT allowed! They use their own legs!!!

Jeeps however, have wheels!

==============================
                              Gentlemen - our log and commentary -

Oh dear!
                              SG[1] enquires of the cost of a day-trip to Paris with a few Crooked friends.
                              Size 3 capital with Colossus - Oh Deary Dear
                              10 cities!!!!!
                              Weak!!!!
                              Pop 1,020,000
                              1100 AD
                              Oh Dear!

Ormuz - citizen #1 is happy - 10 temples - we have Republic, but ...
                              1100 is an oedo year - Oh Dear!

Well - we go Rep in 1180 or we use food caravans to build Karakorum or both
                              Alternate scheme - get sloshed and ignore this mess

Decision - use Rep to grow Karakorum and see where we are in 1300

Annoy Carts - get War - kill Elly - at a price 2 horsies down one vet

1120 = Celebration in Karakorum; Food Caravans (4) now scheduled for Lady Liberty;
                              1140 = all quiet
                              1160 = Salt: Karakorum-Ulundi: 106g; Revolution
                              1180 = Republic established; Nishapur celebrates;
                              1200 = silence
                              1220 = 3 internal routes for 49g + 12 ongoing arrows;
                              1240 = more silence
                              1260 = listen to the sound ...
                              1280 = Rubbish: Samarkand-Zimbabwe: 158g;
                              1300 = Physics->Democracy; Rubbish*2: Karakorum-Zimbabwe: 476g; Karakorum now size 8;
                              1320 = quiet
                              1340 = Population 1,520,000; Karakorum 10; Rush extra Lady vans
                              1360 = Democracy->Steam Engine (what a surprise!); Khanbalik founded;
                              1380 = Evil Zulus kill a caravan - they are scheduled for toasting! Rubbish from Kabul: 102g; Karakorum now size 12; Population 1,920,000; Revolution!
                              1400 = Speaker Khan Bortei resigns gracefully and by unanimous vote of the retiring Senate is appointed High Shamaness of the Holy Mongolian Empire (Oh yes - we built The Lady); Two zulu caravans destroyed;
                              1420 = 3 routes to Isandhlwana, 292g;

For our drunken sheckels - we move to 'Clad & Crook production and annexe Zululand; Meanwhilst - the vast income from our Holy Empire can fund the launderettes needed for an eventual Democracy - but conquest will be much more fun

The Gits well oiled, but feeling quite pleased with themselves.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Eight turns each now please

The SGs with a broken avatar and smiley

Comment

Working...
                                X