Deity death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deity death

Ive only been playing civ2 for six months or so, but I played civ1 for ages before that.
    I just dont know how to approach deity level, it seems like every time I build a new city all my other ones go into civil disorder. Should I stay small at the beginning, until I have hanging gardens built? Or should I expand and go Fundy? I have never tried Fundy actually, is it any good?
    Can anyone out there give me some good tips for deity level?
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Cali - there are some good tips over on the Strategy board here at Apolyton. The archives have many more.

(Three quick helpers are to get to Monarchy ASAP by researching Alpha, CodeLaws, CerBurial, Bronze, Monarchy before popping huts. Then either build the HGardens and a ton of small cities 1 square apart or focus on trade caravans and science in a representative government.)

Paul's OCC guide is very helpful for a perfectionist strategy. And Dave's ICS guide for the expansionist.
    Be the bid!

Comment

For a first win at Deity, Fundy or Commie are probably sensible options.
      Set your reasearch to Monarchy, then to Democracy - to build the Statue of Liberty (which allows any government). Try not to acquire any knowledge which is not on the path to Democracy, as each new tech slows down the research of the next one.
      ------------
      SG (2)
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I have never beaten the game on deity in a non MP non OCC game...

Comment

Caesar - I don't understand - are you saying that your MP opponents are more inept than the AI?? - If so, lead me to them...

Caligastia - It sounds to me as if you are allowing your cities to grow too large too early. Until you have a serious lever on the happpiness factor you have to keep your cities relatively small - the normal expedient is to build settlers. Now as to your happiness lever - there are several ways forward - using WoWs (HG, Mike's, Shake's, JSBs), using trade + tax rate controls, or using city improvements - and of course whatever mix of these that suits your style of play. Without a doubt the biggest change from Emp to Deity and the hardest aspect of the game in deity (appart from simply staying alive) is keeping a handle on happiness - the extremes of OCC and DaveV style ICS are relatively easy in this respect.
          Good civin' and I hope the above is of some little help

Edit for grammar and spelling

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
          "The Great Library must be built!"
          [This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited September 20, 2000).]

Comment

Having just read the "Everyone's free to visit Apolyton" thread, I can't help but think that the wisdom I'm about to dispense is not near as good as I think or as bad as I fear.

I play three different approaches to the game. Which one I choose for a particular session depends on my starting position, my mood, and how much time I want to spend on that game.

1. OCC - HG is not necessary. SSC wonders and ST are. Remember to trigger WLTxD ASAP and as often as possible. Democracy for max city size is the government goal. If you have a good defensible position, eventually you'll win a game.
            2. ICS - HG is not critical but very helpful. Mobile military units, i.e., elephants, crusaders, et al, should be used in conjunction with enough diplomats to sabotage city walls in enemy cities. Government? Anything but Demo.
            3. PE (Perfectionist Expansionism) - This is the toughest way to win. Early building of temples are a must to quell unhappiness. And build lots of caravans for key wonders (GL, LW, MC, HD, SoL). I prefer Democracy but have been known to finish in Fundy.

And maybe the key to all is to play on a 'small' world. Large worlds give the AI too much time to develop.

------------------
            Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.

[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited September 20, 2000).]
            Frodo lives!

Comment

Thanks for the helpful hints everyone.
              I just have one question. Whats this OCC thing everyone
              mentions from time to time? I think it stands for
              One City Challenge, but I cant imagine how anyone
              could win doing that. Can someone give me some more
              details?
              ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
              ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

You are absolutely correct in wondering how could anyone beat Civ2 with just one city. But it can be done. Here is the definitive guide.

http://members.home.nl/paulvdb/occ.htm

------------------
                Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.

[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited September 20, 2000).]
                Frodo lives!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 09-20-2000 09:49 AM
                  And maybe the key to all is to play on a 'small' world. Large worlds give the AI too much time to develop.

I respectfully disagree. The AIs don't expand enough on a large map, leaving lots of empty space full of huts. After the essential Monarchy tech and Hanging Gardens, I build boats and send some horses out hut hunting. I can usually pick up some decent military units from huts, which can be used against the AIs. To win on any size map, the algorithm is the same: expand, expand, expand; attack, attack, attack. I think it's much easier to win through conquest than by spaceship.

The reason I stick to small maps is that a medium map takes about 4x as long to play; a large map takes just less than forever.

Comment

I've got to agree with Kcbob. Playing on a small map is like going down two levels in difficulty. A large map just seems to offer more of a challenge to me. The few times I've played on a small map, I've ended up conquering the world without half trying because I can grab a decent technilogical edge fairly early in the game. If all the other Civs are right by you, you can often conquer by the time you have chivalry. On a big map, you tend to have at least one civ separated from yours by a fairly large body of water. In these cases, the Civ tends to be a little more advanced by the time you get over to their corner of the world...
                    Novi Nomad

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DaveV on 09-20-2000 10:16 AMThe reason I stick to small maps is that a medium map takes about 4x as long to play; a large map takes just less than forever.

That probably is a better reason to play small maps. Although, I would still respectfully contend that an AI on a distant continent might be pretty tough to handle late in the game.

------------------
                      Frodo lives!

Frodo lives!

Comment

Could it be that the advocates of small maps are simply more comfortable with medieval and renaissance battles than with the requirements of modern warfare?? After all unless you play a lot of scenarios we don't get to meet the 'big units' every game. It is a shock to the system when you find yourself faced with Mongols using armour, aircraft and howies - these days (unlike my pre-Apolyton experiences) I meet them with a bit more stuffing than a phalanx towing a catapult - the Artificial Idiocy is still beatable - but you need to try harder and definitely modify your techniques when the big units are available all round.
                        I love large maps - just can't find enough time to play them very often.

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
                        "The Great Library must be built!"

Comment

Gits, see my speed Civ post on the Sleep thread.
                          www.neo-geo.com

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 09-21-2000 05:09 AM
                            Could it be that the advocates of small maps are simply more comfortable with medieval and renaissance battles than with the requirements of modern warfare??

I'm not uncomfortable with modern warfare at all. I love whipping vet howitzers around the world on railroads. I will admit to a fear of naval battles, however. That is something I just can't seem to get the hang of.

------------------
                            Frodo lives!

Frodo lives!

Comment

Working...
                            X