Civ2 hang-ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ2 hang-ups

I have a problem with Civ2 and Windows XP.
    The game frequently "hangs" for several seconds. If a figure is flashing, it disappears from the screen.
    Any ideas?

I'm having problems where Civ2 sucks up all of my free CPU under XP pro, you might be in a similar situation

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower
      I'm having problems where Civ2 sucks up all of my free CPU under XP pro, you might be in a similar situation
      I have exactly the same problem with the normal XP version, and it is very annoying! Is there something that can be done about it?
      Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

Comment

Yes, it's a recognised compatibility issue with Win XP and Civ II. You might want to try one of the compatibility modes.
        "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

I seem to have solved my problem; I don't know why, but this may help others.
          I have both DVD and CD-RW drives. Civ2 was in the DVD drive. I uninstalled the program, transferred the disc to the CD-RW drive, reloaded and reset XP compatibilty option and the problem disappeared!

It must be something to do with the drives, as I had already tried uninstalling and reinstalling more than once before.

No fool like an old fool!

Comment

I'm always putting my CD in the CD-RW drive, so I don't know. Where do I find this XP campatibility option and how do I do it? I'm not so good with XP
            Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

Comment

Although you can run Civ2 from any CD/DVD drive it insists upon looking in the one with the lowest drive letter for music, movies etc - is your CD drive the one with the lowest drive letter? If so your problem might be solved alternatively by copying the Kings & Video directories onto your HDD under your Civ2 directory

SG[1]
              "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
              "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Hmm... Take version Fanstacic worlds....

Comment

I've also had problems with the cd and win2k.............some rather strange errors. I installed the cd-crack (shhh) and they went away.

Comment

Working...
                  X