No announcement yet.

Cities of size 47 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in reguards to those oversized maps, you can always resize the window that holds the map. Especially on those really short and wide maps (ie 250x40), I'll do that. Of course it will overlap the main map, so you have to click on the map you want on top. If nothing else, I recommend resizing just to see how much of the map you actually can see. Resizing back to the default sizes is simple enough - there is an option on one of the menus to do that

------------------
    April Cantor: Sire, in order to expand further we must first gain favor of the King

SCG: darn, I've never really got the hang of that tribute thing, guess it will be a long time until i make prince

*goes off and starts gifting gold and techs*
    Insert witty phrase here

Comment

SCG - I think you misunderstood Smash - it is possible by using a little judicious hex-editing to create a map larger than the 10,000 limit imposed by the map editor in the game itself - I believe that this is the kind of map that Smash is referring to ...

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
      "The Great Library must be built!"
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Smash, for you I see what has happened.
        To modify a map you need to hex edit the 1st number of the *.map file
        As you certainly know the x range is twice as long as the number given. E.g. a 100x100 is in fact a 200x100. It the *.map file it is written as 200. So your x number should always be even. If you give an odd number, the map is not stable around the edge : you see the resources "moving" but you never have more than 4 at the same time. To repair your oversized map all you need is to add 1 to the 1st number of the *.map file.

On the other hand, EdwartTKing I am quite amazed by what you're saying.
        I shall try to become ecological for a while and reforest the plains, just to see if I get lucky.
        Don't you remember the version of Civ you were playing ?
        Would you not by any miracle have the saved game file somewhere ?

This 5 resource city radius is like the Loch Ness Monster or the Yeti.
        Very few have seen it, and nobody has any proof.

Thanks for the revelations, I shall keep on searching
        Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by EdwardTKing on 09-03-2000 05:45 PM
          I accidentally transformed (selected wrong menu option) a grassland (shield) square I think into
          a hill with wine. I found this so odd that I
          converted grassland with a square into a forest
          and had silk. I believe that if I had deforested;
          I might have had a buffalo or a wheat.

I am not sure which version of Civ2 this was with.
          None of these special resource squares which I created fitted into the standard resource square patterns, nor was it on the map wrap round date line.

Sometimes this will happen if you transform a square that is set up in the rules.txt as 'nil' to transform. It should show up as a special hill on a river. For that reason transforming should be listed as back to the same terrain type it started with.

- Oops forgot to mention that evidently the 5 special pattern would only naturally occur under certain resource seeds if the map width is also not divisible by 8. sorry.
          Be the bid!

Comment

Sten, of which version of Civ2 are you talking about.
            I believe that in the rules.txt of any version, there is always a result to any transformation. For example grassland should become hill. I don't see no "nil" anywhere.
            I spent some time transforming grassland into forest and the resources always appeared according to the traditional pattern. In which circomstances could it be different ?

Furthernore you say that : "evidently the 5 special pattern would only naturally occur under certain resource seeds if the map width is also not divisible by 8".
            I agree that it should not be divisible by 8, but what do you mean by "would". Have you actually seen that 5 pattern, or are you just guessing ?

Thank you for explaining.
            Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Not sure what versions might have nil or actually "No" in transforming, my several copies are all modified. If I recall correctly it was an issue among scenario designers a little while back and was discussed on the Scenario League board hosted here at Apoly. I have never seen five specials and I am not at all certain that they can occur, but it has been claimed in the past here on one of these boards that my making certain changes to the dimensions etc they could happen at the dateline. My brief trial and error efforts with the map editor were unsuccessful.
              Be the bid!

Comment

Well, there is definitely no “no” transformation in the rules.txt of all the versions of civ. If you make yourself the modification, it is right that specials hills on rivers appear. But you cannot get them back with the civ2map.exe and cannot transform them correctly with your engineers.

This time I definitely give up on this 5 resources pattern. And I will not believe it possible until I am PROVED wrong.

Comment

Working...
                X